old crow fans Forum Index

<  Ideas  ~  Questions for the Band

therodge
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:48 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Got a question for the band? Let me know! Post them here or PM them to me.

I spoke Willy and Morgan last night and asked them if was cool if I got some questions from people on the forum and send them there way. They are cool with it. I was thinking we would send them we would send them 20 or so questions and get each band member to answer 3 or 4 them each then post em here.

A Few Guidelines:
Keep it to the music, band, instruments, experiences on the road, lyrics type of questions. No questions about their personal lives or real critical questions that may be abrasive.

Let me have em!
Roger

Last edited by therodge on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 15 Mar 2006 Posts: 6 Location: West of the Pecos
I'd still like to have the lyrics for "Bobcat Tracks," please...& I'd like to know who wrote them, too! Thanks!
cfMC
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 30 Oct 2005 Posts: 412 Location: SF CA USA
I'd like to hear what they have to say about original material vs. cover songs. Obviously they do a whole lot of public domain classics which is a great cultural heritage service, aside from being swell. Is it a challenge to decide what ratio of cover songs to original material they put on their albums?

I don't have a great way of phrasing a question for it, but I'd love to hear what they think about the challenges garage bands face when it comes to performing covers-- not just old time stuff but any covers. here in CA there are basically undercover ascap spies that shut down bars/venues when bands play covers in places that haven't paid ascap fees. as a result there are fewer and fewer venues for garage bands, and the remaining places force the bands to play strictly original material. Which to me that is an affront to human creativity, because musicians like to play other people's material, it's just how creativey progresses IMO
brodank
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Guest Joined: 13 Dec 2004 Posts: 1656
cfMC wrote:
here in CA there are basically undercover ascap spies that shut down bars/venues when bands play covers in places that haven't paid ascap fees. as a result there are fewer and fewer venues for garage bands, and the remaining places force the bands to play strictly original material. Which to me that is an affront to human creativity, because musicians like to play other people's material, it's just how creativey progresses IMO

that is crazy! i haver never heard anything like that before. gotta pay your dues in order to sing a song huh.....wow
krazykarl
Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 12 Dec 2004 Posts: 516
I'd like to know where "its for leonard, if he's still with us" comes from, they usually say this b4 minglewood...i always forget to ask....thanks
swampjustice
Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 09 Aug 2005 Posts: 191 Location: Tennessee
Do they still have the fretless banjo they used on Wawa, and will we ever hear from it again?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WindandtheRain09
Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 09 Mar 2006 Posts: 241 Location: Alabama
krazykarl wrote:
I'd like to know where "its for leonard, if he's still with us" comes from, they usually say this b4 minglewood...i always forget to ask....thanks

Yea and soemtimes they call the song Isis. Why is that?

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
It's a Dylan refrenece I know... Some dude explained exactly what it was on, but I think It got erased after the Hack. Great question, keep em coming!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 19 Oct 2005 Posts: 133
ISIS...refering to the Desire song...or do they refer to the Renaldo & Clara Radio release (EP) where Dylan introduces ISIS by saying something like: This is a song abvout marriage...something leonard...Snowharra(?) "

that recording is from Toranto Canada, I think, from the 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue Tour....The version can be heard on Biograph as well..i think it still has the intro...
swampjustice
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
Dylan was talking about Leonard Cohen, his buddy/songwriter friend, who apparently did . not sit through that particular show. I read that in the Skelton biography No Direction Home, and I think that's what the pre-hack said. Who did that post anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
oreily
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 26 Feb 2005 Posts: 160 Location: Jasper, GA
I'd like to know if they have any plans for putting a DVD together. Like a compilation of live shows or a whole live show.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 20 Oct 2005 Posts: 33 Location: Norfolk - UK
Ok...so it's an obvious one, but do they have any plans to return to Britain in the near future? I'm sure I can't be the only one this side of the pond who's going nuts not having a fix of Old Crow! Other than that...erm...most bizarre moment whilst on tour or during a gig? Not very imaginative I'm afraid! Embarassed Cate

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Leaf Liam wrote:
ISIS...refering to the Desire song...or do they refer to the Renaldo & Clara Radio release (EP) where Dylan introduces ISIS by saying something like: This is a song abvout marriage...something leonard...Snowharra(?) "

that recording is from Toranto Canada, I think, from the 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue Tour....The version can be heard on Biograph as well..i think it still has the intro...

Thanks Liam...i will pull out my biograph records tonight... Razz
swampjustice
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
Got another one...

How do you avoid getting nailed for vagrancy when maybe you get as far as, say, Icard, North Carolina, and you're low on gas and have to busk but no one's generous with their dollar bills? In other words, how do avoid the vag charge in general when you're on the road like y'all were at first?
foxontherun
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
*Call Me Foxxxy If'n Ya Nasty* Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Posts: 1079 Location: Lynchburg, VA USA
Questions questions.....

When it comes down to it, is the current popularity and continuous rise in popularity of The Old Crow Medicine Show a true benefit to the band, or would O.C.M.S. rather be back to playing smaller venues where they have a truer opprotunity to be personal with their fans.

thanks!

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 194 Location: Clifton Park NY
Here a couple things I'm curious about.

-First, any plans on returning to the Northeast?

-It seems that the band is evolving a little bit (which I believe to be a good thing) with songs like Heart Up In The Sky and I Hear Them All. So where do they see themselves 5 years from now? 10 years?

-I think some of the lyrics they write, especially I Hear Them All are amazing. How do they go about writing a song? Individually? In Pairs? Groups? Also where do they get thier insperation from for some of these?

-Finally, I believe that the reason people play music is to have fun. I'm sure that the trek across the continent and buskin' was a blast but now that they are dealing with crap like record companies, venues and playing proffesionally has it taken any of the fun out of it?

(My 100th post here)

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
*Queen Crow* Joined: 11 Jan 2006 Posts: 299 Location: London, England
Fox, that's a really good question. I often feel like the boys kind of resent being just a little bit "famous" (at least among old timey geeks like ourselves!).
foxontherun
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
*Call Me Foxxxy If'n Ya Nasty* Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Posts: 1079 Location: Lynchburg, VA USA
its true, and sometimes i feel selfish enough to think that i missed my chance to actually get to know they guys before things went wild. ah well, enjoyment of the music is most important and i DO enjoy it.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
Me too!

Are you going to Salem again this year? It would be fun to see you again!
krazykarl
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
libby you should think about catching the fiddlers convention in galax VA its aug 7-12...and man do the fiddle players come out of the hills for it...
foxontherun
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
that is true, nd yea ill prolly be at the salem fest and the 930 club in october...less they're the same time....
galaxis fun ill be there and the roanoke one that is like next weekend.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
Keep the questions coming, all you lurkers chime in too!

I want to sent this out in the next week or so.

Last edited by therodge on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 26 May 2006 Posts: 22 Location: Ireland
Have the band any plans to play Ireland?

http://www.captainkennedy.co.uk
Libby
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
I'll think about Galax. Thanks, guys!

Oh, and sorry to Roger for going off topic...
Leaf Liar
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 19 Oct 2005 Posts: 133
Why doesn't Willie play the kazoo anymore...Are they still thinking about having a full time drummer in the band...Can Ketch play the mandolin...How does each member feel about Barry Bonds...& will there ever be a woman in the band????

I think I might be at Galax...I'm moving to Asheville at that time (from Maryland) and I might have to stop by on the way to or from...It's a great town..I've been there once before...met an old timer named Kermit...he plays the Guitar.
therodge
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
Keep em coming!

I'm thinking I'm gonna send these on at the end of this weekend.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 27 Oct 2005 Posts: 473 Location: Sarnia, Ontario Canada
Out of all the concerts they've played, which was their favourite venue, not based on atmosphere or the show they played, just the quality of the venue itself. Theres some obvious ones, but i'm curious about ones I've never heard, like diamond in the rough venues.

Thanks Smile
Myranda
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:05 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 90 Location: Fridley, Minnesota
Ahem.. is Ketch of the Illinois Secors? Because I am... ahem ahem... I have no good questions :(
stevens119
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 28 Jul 2006 Posts: 48 Location: Nashville, TN
What microphones did david rawlings use for the recordings of O.C.M.S. and Big Iron World? More than likely a mix of condensers and ribbons. What brand names/model numbers?
grateful
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 27 Oct 2005 Posts: 473 Location: Sarnia, Ontario Canada
have they ever been introuble with the law? Razz