old crow fans Forum Index

<  Live  ~  Bristol, TN/VA - 2/07 - (Pre-Show Chatter)

Libby
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
*Queen Crow* Joined: 11 Jan 2006 Posts: 299 Location: London, England
Crying or Very sad

There's no way I can get from Asheville to Williamsburg in time for class at 3 on Monday, is there?
pittsyltucky
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Hey Libby -- don't fret, the Hackensaw Boys are playing Feb 3 (Sat. nite) in Virginia Beach - The Jewish Mother. I'll be there!!
Libby
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll be there too.

I already bought my tickets. I'm just being greedy!
pittsyltucky
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Ooooh... I haven't gotten mine yet - perhaps I should get on that tomorrow. See ya there! I remember you from our chance meeting at Roanoke. IMHO, the Hackensaw Boys are a good show, but Old Crow is more worth seeing multiple times in a run.
Jane
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 24 Oct 2006 Posts: 138 Location: Ohio
pittsyltucky wrote:
Old Crow is more worth seeing multiple times in a run.

banging head on desk despite migraine...

Kitty
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
pittsyltucky wrote:
Hey Libby -- don't fret, the Hackensaw Boys are playing Feb 3 (Sat. nite) in Virginia Beach - The Jewish Mother. I'll be there!!

The Jewish Mother is a music venue?? Had a conference up there and drove by that place all the time. Never had a chance to go in - but it looked interesting and very small. VA beach is a short drive for me - - -
pittsyltucky
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Well come on up!!!
Kitty
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Would love to since I missed them here at the PourHouse in Raleigh... but I am presenting at a conference that weekend - so no can do. Maybe some other time!
jprater
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 20 Mar 2006 Posts: 9
How big is the Paramount? Is it reserved seating or general admission?
catietoo
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 06 Dec 2006 Posts: 181 Location: Morristown, TN
It is fairly small. The website says it seats 756. And it is assigned seating. Luckily, we got seats really close. Can't wait!
bopanic
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
so its not a GA venue?
therodge
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Nah, it's seated. It's pretty dang small though. Had a great time there 2 years ago... I'll try to find my review of it and repost it.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
ya hook that up if ya got still. any pics from that night couple years back?
therodge
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
you asked for it.... youve got it.
-------------------------------------------------

yoface wrote:
Reviews - February 24, Paramount Center, Bristol, TN-VA

Roger: Whelp, Here it goes. The Bristol show was much more rowdy than I thought it would be for a seated theatre show. The rowdiness definitely was a tale of 2 sets also. The first set, people were told to sit down and not dance by a very tall skeletal woman. A few people were dancing in the back aisle but not alot. After the second set started all hell broke loose! People were all in the center and side aisles crowded up at the front dancing and boogie'n their tails off. Towards the end of the show I thought I was at an AC/DC show in the late 70's or something. People were singing at the top of their lungs and trying to get up on stage. The crowd was very very mixed too. You had your old folk that probably thought OCMS was going to be traditional bluegrass, you had your family of four that started leaving about a quarter of the way through the 2nd set, you had your drunk hoop'n and holler'n frat boy type rednecks, your old rednecks with their sunday best Confederate flag button up shirt and American bandana on his head (which side you with buddy? the Union or Confederate?!), also you had your granola dancing hippie crowd, and lastly a collared priest in the mix. So like I said a very mixed crowd doing various things in various standing/sitting/dancing positions at various moments of the show. For me it was quite awkward seeing OCMS in a seated theatre through out the whole night. Also they were positioned way back at the back of the stage. About 20 from the front edge. Very different from seeing them at the DownHome in Johnson City that fits about 80 people in it.

OCMS has an official sound guy now, which in my opinion he did worse than most house soundman have done for OCMS. The sound was very treble heavy and flat.... couldn't hear any of Morgan's slap'n on the doghouse bass.

Hard To Tell, Raise A Ruckus, Tear It Down were great opening songs of the first set. It was a kick in the mouth to the people that didn't know what to expect for the night. Really Blazin'. They slowed it down with C.C. Rider and Ketch did a fine job on his "french harp." Next came My Good Gal Ain't No Good To Me, this has to be my favorite new song. Ketch used the "Spoiled Meat" lyric rather than "Canned Heat" lyric for you that might be wondering. During this song is where I started missing David Rawlings picking. I mean who wouldn't? I started to kind of evaluate Gilbert's new role in the band. Like I said it will be hard to replace Critter and the long time comradery he had with the band. Also, it will be hard for Gilbert to earn the automatic respect and talent that David Rawlings brought. They did a real cool lil' jam at the end of My Good Gal Ain't No Good To Me that I've not heard them do. You could really tell that the boys were happy to be playing in front of a sold out crowd. Next came Gospel Plow, Ketch was really sawing into his fiddle on that one... rocking back and forth and stomping. Really picking up that energy again. Also, the sound wasn't as bad as it once was but not the best I've ever heard either. Right after that they fired into Greasy Coat. Then My Bones Gonna Rise Again. More and more folk were getting up and stomping the ground. Then came "Domination Blues". It was real real cool to hear them play that new one live. You could really tell that the granola crowd were loving that one and the old folk were starting to question OCMS's stance on current events. haha. Next came another song I've never heard them play, Union Maid. A good sing along on that one. After that they fired right into Minglewood Blues. Another one of my favorites. That's damn right you cant let no woman ruin your mind! Again, people were getting on down to that tune including me. Next came Take em Away. People were really excited to hear that one. Really singing out and waltz'n with each other. Again, I wasn't used to Gilbert's voice. Gilbert's voice is fairly deeper than Critter or David's singing on that song. Also, it didn't really match Ketch and Willie's harmonics either. Again, I'm not hate'n on Gilbert. I'm anxious to her what he can bring to the table as far as song writing goes. To end up the first set they ripped into Fall On My Knees and people were really starting to say to hell with the ushers and getting up and dancing.

Set Two. Tell It To Me, got everybody back in the spirit, up and dancing, making their way to the front, and really singing out. You could tell the boys were really feeding off the crowd. Then comes Hard to Love, another dancing sing-a-long for the fine folks of Bristol. After that came the somber Poor Man. Not as heartwrenching as the Knoxville show's performance the 2 nights after this performance. That Knoxville one got me all misty eyed. You'll hear about that one later. Next was "Train On The Island" which was another one I've never heard them do, in person nor in the form of a bootleg. haha. Dang good! Here was the point of the show where Ketch and Willie tell the local "Stephen Grindstaff joke". Never gets old. Basically it makes fun of a local car dealership's radio commercial that hosts the owner's son that has a horrible speech impediment but insists on having him on every radio commercial since his birth. HAHA! Always a Tri-Cities crowd pleaser. Next comes Big Time In The Jungle. Again everyone was real excited to hear a Critter original. And again it was awkward for me to hear Gilbert sing it. He did a good job though. The hippies were getting real rawled up during it too. One fella was holding up his antiwar tshirt up for the old folks to read. It was pretty wild seeing that. Made me feel like I was on the corner of Haight/Ashbury in 1969 for about a nanosecond until I glanced over at ole "Confederate Lovin' Willie Nelson" in the crowd. Also, that collared priest dude stood up with Bible in hand saying something. I have no clue what it was but about 200 rowdy people started booing him. Which again was pretty crazy. Maybe MollyBea knows what was going on better. She was closer to the action. Ole Willie stood up for him though with a "He means well" comment. Next came Elkhorn Ridge and Wheeling Breakdown. After that was Drinking of the Wine. Then came another one I've never heard "We Can't Stay Long", if that is what it is called. A very good surprise. Ole Wille broke his first string of the night during it too. For all of you still reading this way too long review, Ketch mentioned that this year was going to be a real big year for the Crows. He said something like, "... Were gonna be back in Bristol in September... We're going back over to England... work on a new album... and we have a new video on them video flipshows." Yea thats right. He said they are going to England this year. After that awesome news they pumped right into Down South Blues. Really stomping, slapping, and chopping at their instruments. The place was really rocking then. After that came another crowd favorite, We're All In This Together. Everyone really sang out on that one. It was almost like being in a Church, you could really tell everyone was feeling it. Ketch mentioned that the song raised $300,000 for the Tsunami Relief. After that came the one everyone had been waiting the longest to hear, Wagon Wheel. People were flippin' their wigs on that one. Everybody stood up clapping, stomping, singing, yelling, jumping on stage, waltzing, and cutting up the rug. When it came to the verse "... to Johnson City, Tennessee!" people were singing so loud you couldn't hear OCMS at all. Imagine how much you like signing that part and you don't even know where Johnson City, TN is... and multiple that by about 30 and thats how much people where digging it... because Johnson City is only 20 minutes down the road. After that came the band introductions/Tell It To Me, which is always one of my favorite parts of the night. It always cracks me up to hear who Ketch calls who. Kevin Hayes is Deke Thorton! Morgan was himself like usual. Willie was himself. Gilbert was Ruby Sanchez! Then Willie introduces Ketch in his best Boxing Ring announcer's voice... "Weighing in at 152 pounds... all the way from Toledo Ohio... Jimmy Secor!!!"... then comes the big sing along of Tell It To Me. Again people were flippin' their wigs! Really loving it! Clap Clap Clap... here's the encore and booyah, it's Shack #9! They do the slowed down harmonic intro... then BAM! they are off! Everyone is just a gettin' it! All the old folks and family of 4's are long gone but the drunk redneck confederate flag wearing antiwar cheering not shaving themselves gronola eating Pabst Blue Ribbon drinkin' folk were tearing the walls down while fiddle talc bow hair guitar strings and dust came flying off the stage. A dang good show I tell ya! People didn't know what hit em.

Molly: That was one hell of a show. It was a special night from the moment they walked on stage. The place during the first set seemed like one giant popcorn popper. People were dancing in their seats as long as they could stand it - until they spilled into the aisles. Of course the whole place erupted the second half.

Hell, just look at Rodge's set list. Hard to Tell, Raise a Ruckus, Tear It Down: there was no turning back after opening the show in that fashion. C.C Rider: always a crowd favorite. My Good Gal: this was all everyone could talk about during the set break. "What was that BEAUTIFUL song? It made me cry!" Ketch on guitar. Then the rockers: Gospel Plow to Greasy Coat to MY BONES GONNA RISE AGAIN! Haven't heard that one in a while. It was great to see them play Denomination Blues - Ketch was on guitar for that one. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love the way they've arranged that one. Then Union Maid and Minglewood Blues: Willie wails on that one. And Take 'Em Away - this song got a HUGE cheer from the audience. And I thought Gilbert did great. And closing it with Fall On My Knees. Wow. It was hard to leave for set break. Glad they kept it short.

Now second set: Tell It To Me: also got a huge crowd response. I think it'll be a big single for them. Hard to Love, Poor Man, Train On Island: which was one that really got people up and dancin. Myself and sister included. But what do you expect when you introduce a song as "a dance number". Then Gilbert singing Big Time in the Jungle. I really hope that he sings more songs in the future. It must be weird for him filling Critter's shoes and singing only the songs he wrote. Oh well. The crowd loved the anti-war sentiment. Next up a good NC song Elkhorn Ridge - always great fiddling on that one. Then powerhouse instrumental Wheeling Breakdown. Anyone know who else does that one? And Drinkin' of the Wine - gorgeously sung by Willie. The gospel spirit just flows through that man's voice I swear. And next This World Can't Stand Long. A new one, written for the new album I think. Its got "hit song" written all over it.

Chorus:
This world can't stand long
Baby don't wait too late
You know it can't stand long
Before its too full of hate.

It has the same pull on me that Wagon Wheel does because it is very simple and catchy, but there's something more too it. It has a nice bounce to it that keeps if from being too simple. And you've got to love the message. Ok so next song, another rocker Down South Blues. Then the crowd favorites: We're All in this Together. They introduced it as a Norah Jones song that they learned off the Tsunami Benefit. Silly boys. And then Wagon Wheel. The crowd went CRAZY! You'd think Oprah was there giving everyone a new car. It definitely got the girls up to the front of the stage and swooning. But unfortunately Tell It To Me came back around and I knew it was about closing time. I didn't catch all the baseball names but there were a couple. At the end, they boys closed it out in full-on-assault positions and were jumping up and down like the rock stars that they are. It didn't take long for the crowd to bring them back for an encore. Good thing cause they'd like to tear that place apart. And what a way to go out - Shack #9. The slow start and frantic ending is just masterful playing.

They boys really know how to put on a good show. I'm glad the folks in Bristol welcomed them back to the road with such love and energy. A great night was had by all.

Bill: I am the "collared priest" that Roger Blanton mentioned in his fine review of the Bristol performance. I want everyone to know that I did NOT have a Bible in my hand when I stood up (along with several others in the front row) to try to alert the band to the fact that the P.A. was on.

That's right: in between songs you could hear lame sounds of something or other playing like muzak. They had forgotten to lose it after the intermission, and we we afraid that it might interfere with the softer songs.

I'm not sure whether anyone in the band heard us or not, but that may be what Willie meant by saying that I meant well. I certainly did. In fact, I guess you Roger would probably be surprized to learn that he could group me with the hippies.

In fact, I WAS in Haight-Ashbury in the '60's and I am an old Deadhead. I am particularly delighted by the Crows political songs. Lot's of times they bring tears to my eyes, but among the most moving was all the youngsters shouting "O you can't scare me, I'm sticking with the Union!"

I've been to all the Crows concerts this tour, but so far they only sang that old Almanac Singers (Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie) tune in Bristol. I think Woody wrote the words to fit the old dance tune, "Red Wing".

So, let it be known that not old priests are not necessarily conservative. Especially priests of the Episcopal Church (that's Anglican, for you Brits), like me. I love everything the Crows do, especially their blistering, prophetic commentary on current events. When I hear them sing, I am less ashamed of my country and I no longer have to ask myself "When will this generation produce its Woody Guthrie?

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
some nice reading while hanging out at work!
M@@NSHINER
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 31 Oct 2006 Posts: 89 Location: North Caroline Shack # 9
WOW!
Libby
Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:49 am Reply with quote
Looks like there will be a decent forum crowd at the show.

I'm excited to meet you all!
spin02
Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 10 Mar 2005 Posts: 22 Location: Lebanon, VA
I just found out that Wayword Sons will be playing the same night at the same time in Abingdon VA, no more than 15 minutes from Bristol.

I would really like to see that show, but there is no way I passing up the paramount. I was at the Infamous 2005 show also and it was an outstanding performance.

It is very rare for this area to even have a good show, much less two at the same time. Just my luck!
therodge
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
Hey, for all you tourists and lovers of Old Crow... The Virginia Creeper Trail starts in Abingdon, VA as well.

http://www.vacreepertrail.com

geet che sum!

And you know what else? Boy, it sure would nice to hear the BIG SCIOTA

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
*Mr. Lehman* Joined: 26 Oct 2006 Posts: 1102 Location: Asheville, NC
picked myself up 4 tix for the show sitting in r-center, big sciota would be nice. me personally i'm homing for trouble that i'm in, gospel plow, or shack #9

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
FYI, this show sold out a couple o days ago! Should be a really good time... all the people from Johnson City, Cumberland Gap, Virginia Creeper Trail, Boone, Mountain City/Johnson County are gonna be ready to tear down the Paramount again. I know I am!

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 10 Mar 2005 Posts: 22 Location: Lebanon, VA
therodge wrote:
FYI, this show sold out a couple o days ago! Should be a really good time... all the people from Johnson City, Cumberland Gap, Virginia Creeper Trail, Boone, Mountain City/Johnson County are gonna be ready to tear down the Paramount again. I know I am!

We saw Steep Canyon Rangers and Mountain Heart at the Paramount this past weekend. They mentioned the OCMS show had sold out. Hopefully they will give us several good long sets. I am willing to Stay All Night.
Libby
Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quote
I don't think I'm going to be able to go to this show. I just have so much work to do this weekend! I've seen Old Crow many, many times, and there will be many, many more, but I know I'll be so sad tomorrow evening.

Don't worry, Roger. I'll call and make sure you can pick up my tickets.

Last edited by Libby on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
therodge
Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
It's all good in da hood.... 'long as I get my tickets! Don't make my beat yo British bum, haha.

Nah, you will be missed.

Its gonna be a great weekend regardless! Today heading east bound with the hammerdown. Stopping in Kingston to jam out with Engelman Spruce, Tomorrow seeing the show with my brother (hasn't seen them since 2003) and little sister (first show), Sunday going to Asheville to see Hackensaw Boys, then heading back monday and jamming again with the Stinkelmen's on the way back through!

The Rodge Winter/Spring Tour is 'bout to kick into high gear!

Mar 9 Bawn in the Mash - Nash
Mar 11 RJD2 - Nash
Mar 23 Mute Math - Knox
Mar 24 Hackensaw Boys - Knox
Mar 30 Avett Brothers - Nash

Apr 8 my Granny's 100th bday - Cincinnati
Apr 13 Antibalas - Nash

Oh yea, I got 2 last words... BIG SCIOTA
"I miss my blue eyed baby oh"