old crow fans Forum Index

<  Off Topic  ~  Avett Brothers

foxontherun
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
*Call Me Foxxxy If'n Ya Nasty* Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Posts: 1079 Location: Lynchburg, VA USA
welp saw em again tonight, i was hopin to see pittsy out there but no such luck, thats not to say he didnt come by, thats just saying i didnt see him!
they were awesome, i wanted to make a new post for the folks that see and want to learn more about the Avetts.

i will post some pics soon if they came out.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
I saw them last week... freaking awesome! Seeing them again next month. Maybe twice!

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Glad you started the thread - little more notice next time and i'll definately see you there! Laughing
foxontherun
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:02 am Reply with quote
*Call Me Foxxxy If'n Ya Nasty* Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Posts: 1079 Location: Lynchburg, VA USA
pittsyltucky wrote:
Glad you started the thread - little more notice next time and i'll definately see you there! Laughing

yea my bad man. you crossed my mind a bit too late. i hope dinner was good! haha. it was to late, ill get pics up later...they actually kind of sorta came out, im pretty pleased with some of them.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 866 Location: MO Ozarks
I saw them in Kansas City in August. It was actually a pretty crazy deal, not the typical Avett concert at all. They were scheduled to headline a show with Big Smith (local boys) and Will Hoge. Big Smith opened and tore it up for just over an hour. Then there's conflicting info on what happened with the scheduling.The venue and Hoge both say the the Avetts asked to play second instead so they could get on the road to CO. The Avetts management says they were asked to play second by the promoter.

Regardless, they played a set that was 40 mins long, including their few-minute sound check at the start and all of the technical difficulties that haunt their performances. Then it was adios amigos.

They got booed by many in the crowd after their early departure, and tons of people left, leaving Will Hoge with a crowd of 150 or so to play to. Pissed him off greatly, judging from his myspace blog regarding it.

Good times, good times. I'm guessing KC won't be a stop on the Avetts tours for quite some time.
therodge
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
yea, they seem to play short sets... but when they are drinking octane and spiting fire for an hour im sure it wears them down.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
therodge wrote:
I saw them last week... freaking awesome! Seeing them again next month. Maybe twice!

they coming round here?
therodge
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Cannary Row in Oct! Some thursday in mid October

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
ill have to check the date, if in not on the road. im there. i missed them in denver a few weeks back and im still kicking myself for that!
foxontherun
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
a few pics

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
foxontherun, these photos are teriffic! Do you mind my asking what you shot them with?
foxontherun
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
good ole nikon d50 ive had for two years now. i was thinkin of upgrading but i mean, im trying to decide if i can eat tonight so i dont think the funds are available haha. anyways, kg, thank you for the compliments.

oh and the lense is a nikkor 28-200 g lens
and no flash that night, i normally use my nikon sb-800 flash but, the batteries died and the photos came out alot better than i figured they would without it.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
man ole man, great pics!
BrownEyesBlue
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 10 Aug 2006 Posts: 376
Yes, great pics indeed. Lordy, is there anything sexier than a long-haired boy with a Jesus beard. Mmm...yummy.
rlove3
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
*Mr. Lehman* Joined: 26 Oct 2006 Posts: 1102 Location: Asheville, NC
i just got tix to see them dec 28th in asheville, really looking forward to it. never seen them live, but hear it rivals our boys in good timing hot tunes.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 866 Location: MO Ozarks
those back-to-back shows at the Orange Peel in Asheville, followed by their New Yrs Eve show in Charlotte, would be a fantastic way to spend three out of four nights. And as a bonus you get Langhorne Slim also! Good times.
foxontherun
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
true that ozark, do it up mang

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 02 Sep 2006 Posts: 493 Location: Aberdeen, MD
Here is a few pics when they played Artscape in Baltimore

cornbread
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 19 Feb 2007 Posts: 500 Location: birmingham, alabama
i've got a big choice to make next week.

on the same night at the same venue at the same time the avett brothers and the drive by truckers are playing. i'm probably going with the avett brothers because i've seen dbt many more times...........but damn! oh well, i guess it's a good problem to have.

check out the link to the place their playing. very cool joint. if anyone is in birmingham or wants to make the trip let me know. this place is ALWAYS lining up good music. i find myself there often.

http://www.workplay.com/

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Cornbread --- I say DBT hands down...
greasy-coat
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 12 Jul 2005 Posts: 619
These guys are the only band I've ever seen that strummed a banjo at Merlefest.

Are they punk-americana or something?

I've seen them before and I just didn't get it. They just didn't seem to be very versed on their instruments, and they did a lot of screaming.

They had a big crowd and their fans were eating it up.

So what's the deal with these guys? What's the draw. Help ole Greasy understand.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not necessarily putting them down, I just don't get it. I don't see the attraction......

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 02 Sep 2006 Posts: 493 Location: Aberdeen, MD
I like them cause there very pasionate and energetic on stage. I have to say I liked them live 10x's better than their studio stuff. I have to agree, I dont totally get it either but I like what they do.
cornbread
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 19 Feb 2007 Posts: 500 Location: birmingham, alabama
pittsyltucky wrote:
Cornbread --- I say DBT hands down...

torn i am............torn like an old sweater.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
*Mr. Lehman* Joined: 26 Oct 2006 Posts: 1102 Location: Asheville, NC
i've yet to see the avetts, but i must say a dbt show is unbelievable.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
well i would have to say i would choose the avetts, only caus ei never have seen a drive by truckers show. so then again, i dunno,

and greasy, as far as why you dont like em, its a personal thing. they are indeed versed in their instruments, they just choose this style of playing, their older albums kinda show this more before they took on the "sloppier" style of playing. and some of those harmonies those boys sing send shivers down my spine. so no worries my man, like im sure we've all heard before, different strokes for different folks.

now everybody watch metalocolypse tonight at 1145 on adult swim

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 27 Oct 2005 Posts: 473 Location: Sarnia, Ontario Canada
Welp, just got home from Toronto I must say it was an amazing time, The Avetts flat out rocked, great little bar, the energy and the loudness of the fans was amazing, so many people giving it their all.(No more than 50 or so..) I think the Avetts were surprised at how lively and robust the crowd was for a sunday night, in canada. The Avetts blew that place away, after they came on to do an encore they said goodbye.. and haha led by me we chanted Avetts! for 20/30 minutes, the lights and other music came on, and we just kept chanting.. haha they came back out.. amazing.. I also love a band that mingles in the crowd after a show....

My head isn't screwed on right yet, so hopefully that makes sense.

Pictures!!

^ After a night of Avett Brothers and visiting the famous Zanzibar in Toronto, somehow we trashed our Marriott Hotel Room, I'm underneath two beds :/ haha good times.

I'm in the black hoodie with a buzz cut.
bopanic
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
looks like some good times! im seeing them in nashville on thursday night at the cannery ballroom, rodge you gonna be there?
therodge
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
Yessir! Gonna be good to finally meet ya mang!

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
for sure! im actually in nashville for once when a band rolls through that i wanna catch. Laughing
bopanic
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
rodge any special guests last night man?