old crow fans Forum Index

<  Ideas  ~  Welcome Wagon?

kg
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
It's been a while since I arrived on this board and I'm trying to remember how I stumbled upon it. It's been great, I tell you, though I find I check the board far too often. It's a pleasant distraction from the hard work of the day!

Anyway, I wonder if we could encourage visitors to stop lurking (like I did for months) by showing them quickly what wonders this board holds. Did you see that there are now more than 15,000 posts? Incredible.

You know, a quick link to the Matt Dellinger article, links to one or two or the great reviews you guys write, some of the photos, and other good stuff that you all recommend. Maybe it could be placed as a sticky (?) on the 'Arrivals' thread?

Don't worry about hurting my feelings by telling me it's a dumb idea, because I can see the other side of the argument. Part of the fun of discovering this board was seeing how great is is over my first five or so visits.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Jul 2006 Posts: 896 Location: Ocean City, MD
I can see that being a good thing for sure, we need a "whipping room" or "hazing hall" hosted by Brodank - kind of a welcome beat down if you will Laughing Laughing Laughing

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Seems like it should be a sticky in "Arrivals".

KG, wanna be a moderator? You really have gave the place new legs and fervor already... might as well make it official!

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
*Call Me Foxxxy If'n Ya Nasty* Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Posts: 1079 Location: Lynchburg, VA USA
i'll support it

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
therodge wrote:
KG, wanna be a moderator?

Rodge, just tell me what to do; I'm on it.

(What does a moderator do? Break up fights?!)

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
You can make stickies, announcements, move posts to the topic they should be under, and edit and/or delete posts by Brodank and Penelope!!!

Cool, eh?! Kidding Brodank & Penelope!

So post and sticky in arrivals a bunch of links and resources why lurkers should post in the "arrivals" section, if'n ye wanna.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm on it! May take a while, but I'm gonna look for some good stuff!

Everyone's suggestions welcome!

I think we're all agreed on the Dellinger article and maybe the Pure Music interview, too.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
Congrats, kg, you're elected Laughing

Did you change the font size already? or was that me? All of a sudden the forum text is smaller. it's not happening anywhere else I'm browsing.
kg
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, I hope it's just you GumboStu, because I haven't done anything!

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it's me - how did I do that? Rolling Eyes
kg
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
You had me scared there for a minute!

Do me a favor and recommend a really good review of the boys or a particular group of photos, won't you?

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Sure thing - it'll be tomorrow though

I must crash.
kg
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. Good night!

Remember all, everyone's recommendations appreciated!

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 30 Sep 2007 Posts: 159 Location: Boulder City, NV
I have an idea to throw out there. Ketch has a lot of really good quotes and some of them don't stand out in a whole interview. If you had maybe a quote of the day or something maybe people would get more out of it. I don't know if this fits in with what we're talking about, I just know that KG is the master at unearthing these words of wit and he would be the guy to do it right!

" We're still passionate about what we do, and it's still a thrill to play. I'm glad that we've done it on our own, beholden to nobody else but greatly in debt to many - most of whom are musicians who have helped move us along."-Ketch Secor
penelippy
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Oct 2007 Posts: 749 Location: on the road
therodge wrote:
You can make stickies, announcements, move posts to the topic they should be under, and edit and/or delete posts by Brodank and Penelope!!!

Hey now. I have been pretty tame as of late and I have not seen any posts from Mr. Dank recently. Keeping it pc may just be too easy for ya. Don't make me get saucy. Laughing

Maybe a highlight of the best YouTube has to offer? The ones we all have favorited?

Congrats, kg!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
here's an example on how to make a text link

type LINK

highlight LINK with your mouse

click the URL button

after the first URL, in the brackets type =

paste your actual link after the =

so it should looke like this except I added an * so you can see the code,

[*url=http://www.oldcrowfans.com]LINK[/url]

just take out the * above... then it will look like this

LINK

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Rodge! You anticipated my question! (Have you ever taught? You have the patience it requires.)

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see a video clip section, I am proud of my Youtube clips and have 30 or so from 3 shows up on my youtube channel, After Boone Pittsy and I figured out we had the whole show between the 2 of us,he uses Project Playlist and I use Youtube if we had a Vid Clip section where we could post just links to clips for a specific show that would be cool. If this is a stupid idea or against the rules I will submit myself to a Penelope/Brodank beatdown Laughing

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
I think the links to the stuff under the respective dates in the "Live" section like we do now is the best way to go, imho. I am re-titling the section right now, so if there is Video linked - the title will (eventually) say so.
DeanRogers
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
You are right Pittsy if it ain't broke dont fix it.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
I'm going to fix it until it breaks! Laughing Laughing
penelippy
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
DeanRogers, you do have some super vids. I have several favorited and they get frequent play.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
I appreciate that babyskittles Laughing I really enjoy sharing the experiences with people.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
babyskitties. My friend called kitties skitties. And my skitties are my babies so I threw that in for good measure. That is my dearly departed Frankie on the left. She was two months shy of her 20th birthday when we had to euthanize her back in June. Crying or Very sad The tongue is some weird shit she started doing at about 18.
I also watched your vids with the fish and your casa. My boyfriend is a serious angler and his last name is Smith so I showed him the lake footage. I bet you considered being a teacher, huh? I'm going to school to be a teacher and it seems like people who get off on sharing their knowledge and experiences and wanting so badly for others to feel the excitement they feel are all cut from the same cloth, despite their actual profession. I get called intense by everyone I meet (shocking, right?) 'cause I always have something to tell you, or show you or a million questions to ask you and I really want you to wrap your head around what I'm saying. I had the pleasure of meeting Ketch once and he's the same way. Stares into your eyes and really speaks to you, wanting you to hear him and it seems he has a genuine interst in what you have to say.