gwrap
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 925 Location: Stankonia, GA
they all just look so young.

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
pittsyltucky
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
I'm just f*ckin' with ya gwrap === I was thinkin' you had just read it and immediately put it out of mind:
pittsyltucky wrote:
Hey Kitty -- here's one from the ooooooooold days when you were seein' 'em. ketch and benny -- with will in the background.

I do that on occasion myself. And it's a good thing you can go back and reread everything around here - otherwise i'd always be chiming in with "what were we just talkin' about?"
gwrap
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 925 Location: Stankonia, GA
gotcha. didn't catch the text above the pic. it's all good.

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
Kitty
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
HOLY CRAP!!!! Is there an actual date on that photo??? I think that was around July 4th.... the weekend I ended up at a place that looked a lot like that with the boys makin moonshine (that is the rig they are leaning on). Oh can I say that?? Delete it if you need to lawdog... aw dang!!! I gotta send this photo to my friend that took me up there to see if it really is (that is her on the porch behind Willy!! I swear that is the porch we slept on!! You don't know how excited I am by this photo.... or maybe you can tell Embarassed Laughing Embarassed
pittsyltucky
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Yeah - that's July 4th alright --- and that is the rig indeed. Kitty that's so awesome you were there... That'll make that picture on the wall even more special for me. That's just neat as poop...
jkorp
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:39 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 22 Feb 2007 Posts: 976 Location: The Right Coast

I like it!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 12 Dec 2004 Posts: 516
Kitty wrote:

Old Crow Medicine Show
Monday, August 22, at the Bottleneck.
By Jason Harper
Published: August 18, 2005
That is from The Pitch... and Kansas City/Lawrence (Kansas) indy paper. Just in case anyone is keeping tabs....

No one was keeping tabs on lawrence except the people here who have and keep great memories and photosof the shows yet consistently get dissed because i am not one of the cool kids...thanks again pittsy
therodge
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Man, KrazyKarl is the biggidy bomb.com!!! And dats no lie! He's been a lil scarce as of late but he is one of our founders, thats for sure. The man has contributed many a good memory and review from the flatlands.

It was really great to finally meet you at the Ryman show, KrazyKarl! I wish we would have hung out more, brother!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
I found it at: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20060609/ai_n16480650

High-energy Old Crow to play Red Butte
Deseret News (Salt Lake City), Jun 9, 2006 by Josh Loftin Deseret

Tradition does not need to grow stale, if the neoteric Americana of Old Crow Medicine Show proves anything.

The five members of O.C.M.S. bring a punk defiance and rock 'n' roll attitude to American-roots music, reflecting their youth spent listening to such bands as AC/DC and Nirvana. At the same time, they ditch the roaring guitars and Marshall stacks of modern rock in favor of an organic sound that brings to mind the Depression-era troubadours.

Although they play acoustic, an O.C.M.S. audience should not expect a peaceful evening of delicately picked banjos and lithe guitar strumming. "It doesn't take electric guitars to rock out," said Ketch Secor, who sings and plays fiddle, banjo and harmonica. "We'll get hot in Colorado (they play in Telluride tonight) and keep it hot through Salt Lake." The band plays Red Butte Garden on Sunday, opening for The Del McCoury Band.

An O.C.M.S. show is a lot like a tent revival, Secor said, even going so far as to compare banjo player Critter Fuqua to a "snake handler." Other band members include guitjo player Kevin Hayes, upright bassist Morgan Jahnig and guitarist Willie Watson.

"We're a string band playing high-energy music," Secor said. "It's got an existential feeling that is exciting. There's a lot of religious fervor, which should play well in Utah."

The band mixes old-time classics that "even if you never heard them, your grandfather shook his (backside) to them" with original songs that, maybe not surprisingly, could have been written decades ago by the likes of Bill Monroe or Hank Williams. Either way, the songs carry a distinctive vibe that sets O.C.M.S. apart from country artists who dabble in bluegrass, or such "popgrass" artists as Nickel Creek.

Lyrically, both the remade traditional songs and the band's originals carry the same edge, from delving into such personal issues as drug addiction to political commentaries on war and labor - - even when they tackle subjects without personal experience. For example, on "Big Time In The Jungle," from the 2004 full-length album, O.C.M.S. convincingly sings about the Vietnam War, despite most of the band's members being born after the war ended.

After last summer, when it primarily played major festivals, like Bonnaroo and Wakarusa, Secor said O.C.M.S. will be playing mostly clubs and theaters this year, preparing to release its next full- length album. (The band did release a three-song EP on iTunes earlier this year.) The change in venues will be welcomed by the band, where it can better reach an audience.

The new record will showcase more songs written by band members, many written with an eye toward recording. Previous albums primarily included songs that the band had worked out during the past decade of barnstorming. "This will show a lot of the growth that Old Crow has gone through," Secor said. "It's not nearly as innocent."

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
krazykarl wrote:
yet consistently get dissed because i am not one of the cool kids...thanks again pittsy

Hey karl --

NOW you've been dissed... and I had thought that I was saving that little beauty for brodank!! Laughing any other "dissing" by me was totally unintentional. Nothing personal towards you - I just try to encourage people to record and post setlists and reviews - I wish it had been done more frequently in the past - these guys have been going on ten years and there's so many huuuuge gaps in the record. What contributions you've made toward leaving a record I certainly appreciate and hope you continue to give. And I have no idea what you're talking about with this "cool kids" thing... you and friggin' brodank...
Perhaps if you'd post up where you're from (like most of the other frequent posters on this site) i'd notice. At least I know danky's in Brokelahoma. And the Lawrence sh*t was an inside between Kitty and myself - sorry if it hit a nerve for you. Let's kiss and make up.

Sincerely,
Pittsyltucky
President, Chivatos Locos
(the "kewl kids klub")
krazykarl
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 12 Dec 2004 Posts: 516
that shit is funny....sorry i guess i haven't been posting enough recently, but i do live in lawrence, have reviewed ~8 midwest in AR, CO, KS, and MO and i thought people knew that. sorry i'm so grumpy, but i do live here, care a lot for these guys and their music...and keep great memories of my shows Wink

PS my mom just called and told me you hit like a girl Mr. Green
pittsyltucky
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Keep on keepin' on there KrazyKarl from Kansas... Glad we could have a larf over it all.
penelippy
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Oct 2007 Posts: 749 Location: on the road
It is nice to see whenever someone gets a shitty attitude towards another here, all is forgiven quickly and the offender is urged by not only the offendee but the other members to keep posting. I have experienced this myself and seen it happen to others in my short time here.

I must say that when pressed though, I do concur with krazykarl and brodank that there is (in brodank's own words) a "kewl kids klub". Oh well, to each his own. At least it provides some interesting reads when the pot gets stirred.

krazykarl from kansas.....same initials as "kewl kids klub".....you're not going to kross over, are you, krazykarl?

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I think the people you say are in the Kewl Kids Klub are just the folks the post every 15 minutes and check it even more. Post more and you'll be as Kewl as any of us Old Crow losers. Ha!

In all seriousness, do you feel like your posts are ignored or looked over?

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
No, not at all. I'm just joshin'.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. Here, goes...I have a problem. I work third shift (complete desolation) and check the forum multiple times a night as a break from studying. I am a Old Crow loser and an addict. My boyfriend lets me know every morning when he comes into work (we work at the same joint) and I rattle off all of the new and fascinating things I've learned about the boys or funny shit that was posted by ya'll. He thinks I'm (gasp ) a "kewl kid" just for participating in this forum. That's what I mean, to each his own. I just have met some people in "real life" that dug this sort of music (by sort, I mean obscure)and they were far too kewl for me. I actually flinch a little (depending on the person) when people ask what I'm listening to or who are those dudes on your binder because once I start to say...."Well, they are this old-timey band that sing about tobacco and play the banjo...." I get that look. That "Whoa, how fucking cool are you?" look. I'm so not that chick. I just don't get the people that have some kind of complex over the nexy guy just because they listen to a band hardly anybody has even heard of. My first part of my last post was genuine.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
Heck, I say wear it on your sleeve. If they think you are cool tell them they can be cool too and make them a compilation of your favorite songs. If they don't like it... start buck dancing and flat foot'n then kick em in da nutz!

shuffle shuffle shuffle clap POW!

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Jul 2006 Posts: 896 Location: Ocean City, MD
therodge wrote:
If they don't like it... start buck dancing and flat foot'n then kick em in da nutz!

You are having some aggression issues, first the mask, pictures of Capt. Lou, now nut kickin whats next... maybe you should count to 10 and drink some water before you implode or go make some more funny sushi conveyor videos, Laughing Laughing

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
you saw my newest one, right?

The Doo Doo Pipe Breakdown

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
I loved the sushi conveyor video!!!!!!!

Wear it on my sleeve? Actually, I wear it on my boobs. In fact, the Big Iron tee is on the line up for tomorrow (bring my shit to work so I can head right to class afterward). I AM a proud fan and try to spread the word to all who will listen. I just hate that initial "look" although I know I'm guilty of it when someone says "Dude, have you heard of "Spinnerbaits and Chicken"? They rock!" Who??????? Confused Shocked

I did get a guy at work hooked on the boys slower tunes. And these delicious All-Bran crackers. Keeps you regular. He is a major Silver Dagger fan.

Is buck dancing where you stomp one foot and clap hill-billy style? 'Cause that's what people do when I make them listen! Every goddamn time!

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 30 Sep 2007 Posts: 159 Location: Boulder City, NV
Penelope, We both started hangin around about the same time and I always read your posts, even if it's a topic I'm not interested in, because it's like talking to a neighbor who knows you and lets their guard down a little. Don't stop posting or become self conscious about what you post because then you wouldn't be you and why bother. I think you're pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member...

" We're still passionate about what we do, and it's still a thrill to play. I'm glad that we've done it on our own, beholden to nobody else but greatly in debt to many - most of whom are musicians who have helped move us along."-Ketch Secor
pittsyltucky
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
penelope wrote:
Wear it on my sleeve? Actually, I wear it on my boobs.

So let's see 'em already!
penelippy
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
Pittsy-perv, wanting to see my jumblies! Laughing

Tommy-Mighty nice words, thanks. And as far as being self conscious enough to stop being me, it would take a force greater than I have ever known to accomplish that. And I love what you said about not wanting to be a member of a club that would want you as a member. I'd look at them like effin' weirdos for wanting me! "What's wrong with you people?", I'd say with a suspicious squint. Laughing

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Jul 2006 Posts: 896 Location: Ocean City, MD
therodge wrote:
you saw my newest one, right?

The Doo Doo Pipe Breakdown

BRAVO!
Im workin on the crazy car ride, sushi conveyor, doo doo pipe dance video mash up as we speak...that sheite is gonna go viral! Laughing

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 30 Sep 2007 Posts: 159 Location: Boulder City, NV
penelope wrote:

Tommy- And I love what you said about not wanting to be a member of a club that would want you as a member.

I stole that, I think, from Groucho Marks...

" We're still passionate about what we do, and it's still a thrill to play. I'm glad that we've done it on our own, beholden to nobody else but greatly in debt to many - most of whom are musicians who have helped move us along."-Ketch Secor
pittsyltucky
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
God bless Groucho's dead ass... Marx Bros. films are some of my favorite things to watch. Made a wrong turn heading out of Knoxville a few weeks ago and ended up on "Fredonia" road. Had to take a picture of that!! Nobody else in the car could figure out why I was giggling my butt off and taking a picture of it. Makes me feel REALLY old!

And penelope -- nothing pervy about wanting to see the ol' jumblies. Wanting to see them makes me a guy, not a perv. It's what you do when you see them that makes you a perv or not. Wink
penelippy
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
pittsyltucky wrote:
And penelope -- nothing pervy about wanting to see the ol' jumblies. Wanting to see them makes me a guy, not a perv. It's what you do when you see them that makes you a perv or not. Wink

Or in his case, not into jumblies.

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
I couldn't find this one on site

http://www.bmi.com/news/entry/233295

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
couldn't find this one either, although I know I've read that closing quote before

http://www.mountainx.com/ae/2000/0419oldcrow.php

Pick of the litter

Zone one show reanimates nature, spoofs artifice
by Mark Goldstein in Vol. 6 / Iss. 36 on 04/19/2000

Before I interviewed Old Crow Medicine Show vocalist/fiddler Ketch "Hawkster" Secor, I was assailed by an interesting rumor. It went something like this: "There's a lot of posers out there in music land, but these boys sound like the real thing."

And while I pride myself on my ability to spot a phony, I'm not a native of these hills, so I wondered, would I know the difference?

First, I weighed the facts. Doc Watson, the world's unchallenged flatpicking king, calls the band's music " ... some of the most authentic old-time music I've heard in a long time" -- no idle flattery, it would seem (the band was recently booked for Merlefest). And then, the group's home base also murmured authenticity: band members dwell on the Tennessee side of Beech Mountain, N.C. -- a damn good place to be, if you're into mountain music.

On the other hand, the band's debut, self-distributed CD, Greetings from Wawa, includes radio clips recorded in Canada. And the contradictions play on. Band members met through stints in migratory farmwork (specifically, grape-picking), but they play as if they'd all grown up in the same remote mountain cabin. They didn't: Doghouse bass player "Senator" Ben Gould makes banjos and gets around in a 40-dollar car -- but he's the son of a New York lawman. And Gould's buddy Willie Watson sings and plays a rowdy guitar, banjo and fiddle -- but claims no relation to Doc and is as big a fan of Bruce Springsteen as of any country peformer. Vocalist Kevin "Kirby" Hayes hails from Boston, but honed his musical skills on streetcorners all over America before settling in Appalachia. Chris "Critter" Fuqua helps with vocals and plays a mean banjo and slide guitar, but he learned to be a Tejano accordionist while passing time in San Antonio, and reportedly also plays the bagpipes!

Many of the band's tunes are interpretations of traditional songs -- i.e. "Cumberland Gap," "Kitty Clyde," "Gospel Plow" and "Oh, My Little Darling" -- replete with the mournful howls, good-ol'-boy rejoinders and rollicking arrangements that characterize the genre. Yet, these guys play with an abandon and grit that are truly their own. What drives that level of feeling is a subtler force: At times, it's hard to tell if the band stands as a true homage to string music, or if the boys are aping the form just to prove that they can.

The first time I talked to Secor, he had just finished digging post holes, had a beer in his hand, and very politely informed me that he probably couldn't schedule an interview, because he was about to hitchhike to Ohio to see his sister. This sure sounded like an authentic mountain-music player to me (though Secor hails from Missouri). When he called back a couple of days later -- from an outdoor phone nook in Harold, Ky., during a driving Floyd County rainstorm -- the fiddler shed some more light on the subject of the band's raison d'etre. (I asked him first if he was afraid of getting shot or beaten up while hitching cross-country; his reply, like the rest of his story, evinced a good dose of latter-day Beat junkie and Gen-Xer tempering this bluegrass boy: "Well, that's the whole principle of the Medicine Show ... you put your trust in the medicine, and you don't get beat up.")

Secor places the same faith in the band's relationship with its live audiences: "Well, you know, music comes out of a little box in somebody's car, or a little box in somebody's house. So rarely does it come out of the interaction that people have with other people. And so rarely do people know that you can have music free all the time: You just have to pick up your hitchhikers, or go to your local VFW, or walk on the streetcorners and just see that it's still going on, in the same form that it has always been before it got bought by RCA and Sony and all that s•••. We're trying to keep a good hand on the importance of music for the country."

The musician bristles when people mistakenly lump Old Crow Medicine Show's sound in with contemporary bluegrass: "String-band music has been around since slavery started coming to this country, because that's how you got the banjo here," he says. "It wasn't until 1900 that you ever really saw string-band music in the commercial sense, and the styles were just evolving really quickly then. A fella named Charlie Poole [who played with his own three-finger banjo technique] totally revamped how to play the banjo. And then following after that is a whole lot of other people. ... They mostly credit it to Earl Scruggs, but bluegrass was a long time in the making, long before Earl Scruggs. ... We just tend to stick to the older, more traditional stuff, because it's got ... the same qualities of all other music, it just does it in such a raw, untainted way. It's like playing punk rock. ... music really needs to hit people real directly."

In its liner notes, the band predictably thanks such acoustic influences as blues singer Mance Lipscomb and banjoist Dock Boggs -- but Kurt Cobain also gets his due.

"The only thing you could get that was real in the early 1990s, if you were growing up in middle-class America listening to the radio, was Nirvana," Secor proclaims. "They had this authenticity to them. ... everything else was like Janet Jackson and Madonna on the radio, but Kurt Cobain and those three fellas in Nirvana really had an impact on all of us, just to show us that you could be at this big level in music and you could still play really, really authentically." Interestingly, Secor's other influences include Janet's brother Michael, Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie and even old-school-college-punk darlings The Dead Milkmen.

"I've never been interested in being in a strictly traditional old-time string band that plays only festivals and always credits the tune properly to what old dead man wrote it or what old dead man you learned it from," he muses. "It's the process of making something, and it's not always about the product. Sometimes it's nice to sound like an old '78, and other times it's nice to sound like you're breaking old '78s."

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143

Star-Gazette (Elmira, New York) · Mon, Jul 16, 2001

Last edited by The whistle knows my name on Sat May 20, 2017 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total