old crow fans Forum Index

<  Off Topic  ~  Now Watching....

penelippy
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Oct 2007 Posts: 749 Location: on the road
Hey kg, Tommy and everyone else, ever read Into Thin Air, the Krakauer (same author of Into the Wild) book about the Everest disaster in '96? That book makes you wonder if it is even worth it with all the shit that can go wrong. Although I have seen National Geographic pics from the summit where all you see are clouds and few other moutain tops peeking through and it is really awesome. Krakauer can really take you there with his descriptions and the tale of Beck Weathers surviving is ming-blowing. Good read!

Last edited by penelippy on Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Jul 2006 Posts: 896 Location: Ocean City, MD
TommyDinBCNV wrote:
I lived without it for several months. Then my girlfriend moved in and got cable. Now she's gone and cable is about to be...
I love books and TV just distracts me from them and from the things I should be doing like riding my bike, planning trips, etc.

I envy you Tommy, I am "television dependent" I think. I am just a junkie for the damn idiot box to be honest, as soon as it went dead I was immediately schemming in my mind how to get another one. Looking back over the days events I was truly jonesing for the bastard as soon as the tube flickered. IT IS A SICKNESS. But having scored a much nicer TV than the one I had has just added fuel to the fire. My remote control callouses didn't get a rest at all.

Very Happy Nirvana Unplugged on VH1 Classics 1st time in many many moons it has been broadcast.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
LOL the two people who responded to your TV plight don't have one Laughing

We haven't had a TV since we moved onto this land 13 years ago. We do watch movies on the computer DVD though.

Kids come downstairs in the morning and play games or draw, or make things (and eat!). Amazing to our relatives.

I get to play guitar without asking permission Laughing

A friend put his TV in the loft - said it took three days for the kids to stop complaining, then it was cool.

Penelope - I'll watch out for that book, thanks for the heads up. (heads up - geddit?)
penelippy
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
Laughing

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 19 Feb 2007 Posts: 500 Location: birmingham, alabama
pawn your television and buy a cheap guitar and a bottle of whiskey.

thank me later...

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
GumboStu wrote:
LOL the two people who responded to your TV plight don't have one Laughing

We haven't had a TV since we moved onto this land 13 years ago. We do watch movies on the computer DVD though.

Kids come downstairs in the morning and play games or draw, or make things (and eat!). Amazing to our relatives.

I get to play guitar without asking permission Laughing

A friend put his TV in the loft - said it took three days for the kids to stop complaining, then it was cool.
)

I am happy to see so many people ditching the boob tube, I know you are all right and Stu, with kids and no tube, BRAVO...I commend any of you that have broken away from it, I feel almost as hooked on mine as I am on cigarettes & I need to quit both.
My son is a big reader, he spends time playing his sax or drums and he loves sitting at his desk drawing and only watches a couple of 30 min. shows each day, but I do not turn it off it is like comforting background music & TIVO just makes it more addictive.

Cornbread - Ain't nothin wrong with that. Very Happy

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
Television is my only real link with "popular" culture, though I'm finding most of today's items of interest less and less interesting. I'm beginning to feel the same way about newspapers, which really worries me. I sometimes think my boredom with the present is a weakness, a sign of old age creeping in. That or I'm really embracing the nerd within me! I'm working at learning Latin, am reading poetry from before WWII, and am finally settling down to read Tolstoy. How's that for old? Old Crow's probably the most contemporary thing I like.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 12 Jul 2005 Posts: 619
Watched a good DVD last night.

http://www.rokymovie.com/

Its a documentary film about Roky Erickson, the Texas musician and song-writer whose band, The 13th Floors Elevators, was the first to call their music psychedelic in the 60s. You're Gonna Miss Me was their #55 billboard chart hit.

They weren't a 'hit' band but they greatly influenced several bands that were big in the 60s and in my opinion helped shape modern rock.

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roky_Erickson

I highly recommend it. I got it from netflix.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 12 Jul 2005 Posts: 619
I gave up my TV in 1990. Haven't had much use for it since. I do like to watch movies, these days on DVD.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 30 Sep 2007 Posts: 159 Location: Boulder City, NV
penelope wrote:
Hey kg, Tommy and everyone else, ever read Into Thin Air, the Krakauer (same author of Into the Wild) book about the Everest disaster in '96? That book makes you wonder if it is even worth it with all the shit that can go wrong. Although I have seen National Geographic pics from the summit where all you see are clouds and few other moutain tops peeking through and it is really awesome. Krakauer can really take you there with his descriptions and the tale of Beck Weathers surviving is ming-blowing. Good read!

Read that! I really liked it. I want to read his book about the polygamists also, but I haven't gotten around to it. My stepbrother worked as a Sherpa one year trying to earn a chance at the summit. He never did go to the top, but the cultural experience was very gratifying to him.

" We're still passionate about what we do, and it's still a thrill to play. I'm glad that we've done it on our own, beholden to nobody else but greatly in debt to many - most of whom are musicians who have helped move us along."-Ketch Secor
rlove3
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
*Mr. Lehman* Joined: 26 Oct 2006 Posts: 1102 Location: Asheville, NC
TommyDinBCNV wrote:
penelope wrote:

Read that! I really liked it. I want to read his book about the polygamists also, but I haven't gotten around to it. My stepbrother worked as a Sherpa one year trying to earn a chance at the summit. He never did go to the top, but the cultural experience was very gratifying to him.

into thin air was good, but not as good as into the wild in my opinion. i have under the banner of heaven (the one about polygamists) to read during my christmas break from school

and dean, i saw in the best buy sale paper sunday that they were releasing nirvana uplugged in nyc on dvd today Shocked going tomorrow to get it.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
I bet Into the Wild is better. I'm sure a lot of us have had the fantasy of "living off the land" so it is easier to identify with than the desire to scale some gigantore moutain in some far off country. I had not heard about the polygamist one but would like to give it a go. I tend to burn through books on my school vacations, too.

Anyone read "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift? My soc prof said my final paper was mildly reminiscent of that book. He's tricky to figure out, is this good or bad?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
penelope wrote:
I had not heard about the polygamist one but would like to give it a go.

Well my wife is cool but i bet if we both talked her into it we would have a good time. Laughing

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing I totally asked for that one!

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
penelope wrote:
Anyone read "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift? My soc prof said my final paper was mildly reminiscent of that book. He's tricky to figure out, is this good or bad?

'A Modest Proposal' is wonderful satire. It's an essay suggesting that ... Well, it's almost too horrible to summarize. The essay can be found here: http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Aaah, it makes perfect sense now. My paper is titled "Degenerate Island" and I proposed that we buy an island and ship people off that would rather receive a handout than work to support themselves. Don't get in a tizzy anybody, I totally am for welfare, WIC, etc. but I have just seen soooo much abuse and misconceptions of the programs. I have only turned in my rough draft and my prof deemed it an A- so far so maybe I can pull something from reading that article to boost me that last bit. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so if I get and A after reading it, I owe you kg.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
penelope wrote:
Aaah, it makes perfect sense now. My paper is titled "Degenerate Island" and I proposed that we buy an island and ship people off that would rather receive a handout than work to support themselves. Don't get in a tizzy anybody, I totally am for welfare, WIC, etc. but I have just seen soooo much abuse and misconceptions of the programs. I have only turned in my rough draft and my prof deemed it an A- so far so maybe I can pull something from reading that article to boost me that last bit. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so if I get and A after reading it, I owe you kg.

sounds like a good idea, but in order to not further hijack this thread, i just finished watching the first 2 seasons of WEEDS and loved it and am currently watching "america's rumrunners, moonshiners, and bootleggers" on the history channel. god bless them moonshiners.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
rlove3 wrote:
currently watching "america's rumrunners, moonshiners, and bootleggers" on the history channel. god bless them moonshiners.

The Federal Marshall in that docu. is my mother-in-law's neighbor , and the Smith family live like 5 miles down the road. They were the ones that started the Moonshiners Jamboree.Cool movie shows ya it truly is a Small world.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
rlove3 wrote:
sounds like a good idea, but in order to not further hijack this thread

Sorry! Embarassed I should have put all that in a "Now Reading" thread!

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
rlove3 wrote:
sounds like a good idea, but in order to not further hijack this thread, i just finished watching the first 2 seasons of WEEDS and loved it and am currently watching "america's rumrunners, moonshiners, and bootleggers" on the history channel. god bless them moonshiners.

Season 3 ended last week and ended up being pretty exciting (and hilarious as always). I had thought about posting something about it Sunday night after the episode went off, because of the funny ditties that Doug (Kevin Nealon) was singing walking around the shelter plucking a banjo... hilarious stuff - especially when he was singing like he was speaking in tongues. it hurt I laughed so hard.
One of the moonshiners they interviewed for that program is over at Penhook near Pigg River not far from my farm (and only a couple miles further than Dean). That's the guy that got busted with the largest operation they'd ever taken in Virginia. They even have a little model of the barn he was operating in at the ATF (or maybe the VA ABC) office in Richmond - that was historic stuff there that was... You're on the edge of some wild country out there, Dean -- i've been warned off with a shotgun blast more than once canoeing the border area down to Museville. I call it the "mash pot" section...
DeanRogers
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Jan. 6 2008
The Wire

Cannot wait till the new season.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 22 Feb 2007 Posts: 976 Location: The Right Coast
Once the kids are in bed I'll be "On Demanding" some season 3.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
what's the deal with that show? i've heard good things about it...

i've watched football all day today (tennessee lost, i don't want to talk about it) last night i tried to watch the ben kingsly movie "sexy beast" but woke up as the credits were rolling, i may try to watch that tonight.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:07 am Reply with quote
rlove3 wrote:
what's the deal with that show? i've heard good things about it...

Go get seasons 1 and 2 on dvd if available, they are some of the most realistic street scenes I have watched on TV ever. Very good program

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 19 Nov 2004 Posts: 680 Location: NW Indiana
Just got back from No Country For Old Men....

Not a big fan....I really dont see what is the big deal about this movie....I was bored to tears for the most part....I never seen people get up and leave so fast after a movie either....

Boo-Hiss-Boo is my review
rlove3
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
watched the first three episodes of the wire today and i'm loving it.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Its gets you hooked, I had on demand when I found it 2 years ago, I was all into it ... can't wait till new season

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 19 Nov 2004 Posts: 680 Location: NW Indiana
Saw I Am Legend yesterday.....It was ok...maybe not.....Had some little bastard and his mother talking behind me the whole time.....

"Somethings gonna happen!" In little whisperssssssss....Then when the movie got loud so did they.......Then back to "whisssperssssss".....

Then all the kicking to my chair the kid was giving me.....

Half way through the movie i lost my shit and turned around.....and screamed......

"Can i get you a stick or something so you can poke me in the back of the head the rest of the movie in case the seat kicking isnt enough?!!! Quit yer yappin too!!!" I did the hand jesture of yappin right at them...

First time i have ever yelled at someone in the theater....I felt kinda bad after but it needed to be done

Got this DVD on now...Very good.....I can send out 2 freebies to the first to post and email me.....

Peter Rowan & Tony Rice Quartet
Vassar Clements Memorial Sunday
Suwannee Magfest
10/23/05

Setlist:
1. Panama Red
2. Hobo Song
3. You Were There For Me
4. Rainmaker *
5. Shady Grove (Instrumental)
6. Sitting Alone in the Moonlight
7. Midnight Moonlight
8. Lonesome Fiddle Blues
9. White Dove
10. Red Haired Boy

cavedave0831@msn.com
rlove3
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
saw i am legend today. thought it was pretty good, don't know need some more time to digest it.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
jahnee wrote:

First time i have ever yelled at someone in the theater....I felt kinda bad after but it needed to be done

Good for you, Goddamit! You shouldn't feel bad.