old crow fans Forum Index

<  Off Topic  ~  Fat Tire Beer

cholla76
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 26 Oct 2005 Posts: 133
Does anyone know if I can find Fat Tire in Chicago???
gwrap
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 925 Location: Stankonia, GA
It's heading east. I don't know if you'll find it in Chicago, but I have seen it in St. Louis during my travels. And, one of my friends had some Fatty T in Arkansas, which means it's coming to the South! Just 3 more states and it will be in GA! Every once in a while you can find it at a Widespread or String Cheese show in these parts, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Best luck searching.

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
brodank
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Guest Joined: 13 Dec 2004 Posts: 1656
cholla76 wrote:
Does anyone know if I can find Fat Tire in Chicago???

DOSNT LOOK LIKE THE SHIP IT THERE

http://shop.newbelgium.com/faq.php

i know i search all over oklahoma lookin for it until i found that on their site...coulda saved me alot of time. oh well, my buddies always bring me home some from colorado
oreily
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 26 Feb 2005 Posts: 160 Location: Jasper, GA
Yay for GA! Now bring on Stone and Dogfish Head.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 925 Location: Stankonia, GA
One of my fav's is the Ellie's Brown Ale out of Boulder.

Also, New Belgium makes a fine beer called 1554, similar to Ellie's.

I discovered these on my trips out West. Anyone else got some good local brews to tell about?

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
foxontherun
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
*Call Me Foxxxy If'n Ya Nasty* Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Posts: 1079 Location: Lynchburg, VA USA
there a brewer in asheville, NC called Highland Brewing Company that makes an excellent Oatmeal Porter.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:48 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback.... Asheville also has a tasty Green man ale at the Jack of the Wood as I recall..... here in Bloomington, IN we have some yummy micro brews at Upland Brewing Company.. I recommend the DragonFly IPA......or Bad Elmer's Porter
oreily
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 26 Feb 2005 Posts: 160 Location: Jasper, GA
Highland just had a limited edition release of Imperial Gaelic, I picked up 4 liters of it, pretty good stuff...their Cold Mountain winter ale is also the shizzle.
Terrapin out of Athens also make some great beer...Fall seasonal-Big Hoppy Monster is out now=Awesome, and their Wake-n-Bake Stout will be out soon...they also have Rye Pale Ale out year round, which is my fav regular beer.

http://www.beeradvocate.com is a great site for craft beer...beer, store, pub ratings...etc.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Ha!! Fat Tire is a quest here in NC! My fam brought four cases with them for me and my friends this April. Always used to bring at least a twelver back with me on the plane.... but new TSA rules make that impossible. Funny how some of us are now DRIVING to conference and such past the Mississippi River just to bring back Fat Tire! Getting my case from Montana tonight - - - can't wait.

Another goody I enjoyed out west is Alaskan Amber. Also like Leinenkugel's red (out of Wisconsin). And yes, we do have some good beers here in NC as well---

Check out:
http://www.allaboutbeer.com/wbf/
http://www.popthecap.org/
daughterson
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 20 Oct 2005 Posts: 72 Location: Emmett, Idaho
Wow, i guess i've taken for granted that i live in the northwest. territory of the microbrews! Shit Fat Tire is just as easy to find as Budweiser, but i do still enjoy it, as for Alaskan Amber now thats some good brew, i wish we had a wider selection of Sam Adams though, i've been enjoying the Oktoberfest.
Kitty
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
A coworker and I were just discussing the fact that he was not able to haul back more Fat Tire or Alaskan Amber for a recent trip out west. Looking at the calendar and where we were going next - and seeing what was available where to bring back. Anywho, ran across this:

http://www.liquidsolutions.biz/main/

Anyone use them before?? They have Fat Tire (which is what we are all excited about) as well as many others that aren't available here.
cholla76
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
Seven Year Itch wrote:
A coworker and I were just discussing the fact that he was not able to haul back more Fat Tire or Alaskan Amber for a recent trip out west. Looking at the calendar and where we were going next - and seeing what was available where to bring back. Anywho, ran across this:

http://www.liquidsolutions.biz/main/

Anyone use them before?? They have Fat Tire (which is what we are all excited about) as well as many others that aren't available here.

I don't think the lame state of indiana allows the shipping of alcohol or i would be all over that....hell we can't even carry out alcohol on sundays.... Good news though...I've answered my initial question.... theNew Belgium Brewing company emailed me back with an excel speadsheet listing all 570 fat tire distribution locations in Chi Town!!! woohoo, not only do i get to see old crow next friday, but i get to stock up on fat tire while I am there... Very Happy mmm mmm.
Kitty
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
Ya, I am not too sure how they get away with it because of so many differing laws and such.... New Belgium even states on their web site that trying to keep up with varying laws is why they don't ship.

I guess it couldn't hurt to try..... and plead ignornace if the poepoe come knocking at your door!

Have a great time at the show in Chi-town.
cholla76
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote
Thanks! You are right, it is always worth a shot! Just like bringin my camera into the HOB when they are tellin' me I can't.. Wink
razorsedge
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 16 Nov 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Chicago, Illinois
You can get fat tire in Chicago. It just got here a few months ago. It's not all over the place but I'm sure you'd be able to find it when you come.
M@@NSHINER
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 31 Oct 2006 Posts: 89 Location: North Caroline Shack # 9
I don't know bout ya'all.... but I'm gettin' right thirsty with all this talk...
rlove3
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
*Mr. Lehman* Joined: 26 Oct 2006 Posts: 1102 Location: Asheville, NC
amen on all the highland brewing co. beers...asheville is right across the mtn from my town. also, check out flying dog's dogtoberfest if you can still find it and spotzel (sp?), the people that make shiner bock, brewiery's dunkelweisen its a nice dark wheat beer, had one with dinner tonight and it was delish.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 21 Jul 2004 Posts: 590 Location: CA
Anderson Valley Brewing Company anyone? Boondt?
Jamie
daughterson
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:46 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 20 Oct 2005 Posts: 72 Location: Emmett, Idaho
this might be a long shot for anyone out of the northwest but? Mcmenemins anyone? now that's some good ale!!! they're a brewery with many location throughout the northwest and you can only enjoy a pint of there brews at one of their pubs, hotels, or bars!!! i love this beer Laughing
Kitty
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
Oh ya! I totally forgot about McMenemins. I have two of their pint glasses at home - - - and loved staying at their hotels on our jaunt through Oregon a few years back. We were at the Hotel Oregon in McMinnville.... great rooftop bar overlooking the quaint downtown and wine county in the distance. They host an annual UFO Festival - - - so of course one of the pint glasses was to commerate that event. Good conversation piece. Highly recommend them as a place to eat, drink, and lay you head if you don't like chain hotels and visiting Oregon.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php
cholla76
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
daughterson wrote:
this might be a long shot for anyone out of the northwest but? Mcmenemins anyone? now that's some good ale!!! they're a brewery with many location throughout the northwest and you can only enjoy a pint of there brews at one of their pubs, hotels, or bars!!! i love this beer Laughing

Not familiar with McMenemins... but I might have sampled it at the Telluride Blues and Brews fest a few years back... they had lots of tasty brews from all over the western U.S.....
http://www.tellurideblues.com/
pittsyltucky
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
I'm reaaally fond of Clipper City 's McHenry Lager these days.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Baltimore brew eh?? Is it easy to come by up there in VA?? I will have to look for it down here. Tyler's Taproom and the Flying Saucer always have a wide selection of beer on tap and bottled.
foxontherun
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
*Call Me Foxxxy If'n Ya Nasty* Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Posts: 1079 Location: Lynchburg, VA USA
currently im stuck on arrogant bastard ale and shiner bock. i also got my hands on some sam adams double bock, thats some thick stuff there. not bad after a few shots of liquor.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
I had the Sam Adam's Triple Bock once (the 1995 vintage) and it was truly as disgusting as this first reviewer states. It was painful... and really consistency of motor oil with a soy sauce finish is the best way to describe it. I honestly don't know how some of these folks gave it an A or B rating. To me... there is obviously a reason it hasn't been brewed since 1997!
ozarkbilly
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 866 Location: MO Ozarks
mmmmm beeeeer....the only two beers I need to survive are Bully Porter from Boulevard Brewing Co in Kansas City and what appears to be a board favorite, Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing in Ft Collins CO. Two very different, but both very tasty, beeeeers.
pittsyltucky
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Not a big fan of Sam Adams either, Kitty. As far as the McHenry goes - I almost guarantee you'll be likin' it. Closest distribution in your area would either be here in Richmond or in Charlotte. If you're coming up for Richmond i'll take y'all over to one of my favorite spots where they carry it -deeeelicious with a side of fried okra. And if not, i'll bring a couple of sixes down to Merlefest. In fact, i'm going to B-more to see a few O's games the weekend before - maybe i'll stop in and get some reeeeaaally fresh ones.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
ozarkbilly wrote:
mmmmm beeeeer....the only two beers I need to survive are Bully Porter from Boulevard Brewing Co in Kansas City and what appears to be a board favorite, Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing in Ft Collins CO. Two very different, but both very tasty, beeeeers.

Ha! The Bully Porter is the other case+ that we brought back the last time I went home to Kansas for some friends. I am serious... this whole bringing beer back for people is paying for trips!! Okay, not quite....
penelippy
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Oct 2007 Posts: 749 Location: on the road
We have been tasting tons of beer lately....and for my bfs bday we went to the Bier Stube, a place with a bunch of taps. We got a sampler with Sierra Nevada ESB (last flavor of the sip is like a slap in the face) Left Hand Milk Stout (I do not like porters or stouts but this was damn good) Gosser (weak water beer) some German dunkel (alright) Becks (weak water beer) Pyramid Apricot Ale (yummy in my tummy...not very sweet at all but strong apricot flavor) some king of English ale that was sour...like sour effin' milk and Rogue Dead Guy Ale. We also went to a local brew pub called Bent River (where we live the Mississippi runs east to west) and had Oatmeal Stout and a local fave called Mississippi Blonde. They have a jalapeno stout there and Uncommon stout which is coffee-flavored. At home we probably have 60 or so different bottles lined up of what we've tried recently. Best beer of all we've tried: still Heinie and Lowenbrau for me...for him...Red Hook ESB, Bully Porter, Ballast Point Black Marlin Porter and St. Peters Porter (sweet bottle) Worst beer: Sol, Boulevard Lunar Ale.

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
*Mr. Lehman* Joined: 26 Oct 2006 Posts: 1102 Location: Asheville, NC
love me some dead guy. we used to make black and tans called "black deaths" outta guinness and dead guy, mighty MIGHTY tasty