old crow fans Forum Index

<  Arrivals  ~  Pathetic Psycho Lurker Comes Clean

bluegrassmel
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 09 Jun 2008 Posts: 3 Location: Coalfield, TN
Hello all.I'm a down-right pathetic lurker of about a year now. I didn't introduce myself from the start mainly because my work schedule kept me from checking the site on a regular basis. I honestly felt it was rude to say hi then never respond to discussion topics. I mean, how can I claim to be an absolute Crow fReAk and not be an active site member? I didn't even join as a member until June, at which time I became too embarrassed to post my "arrival" and admit I had been lurking for so long. But here I am now.

Hi, my name is Melanie and I'm a Crow-a-holic.

I've enjoyed all the posts I've read, especially show reviews with set lists. I write every single one down. I remember someone saying Willie had expressed an interest in helping with an official set list link. Any update on that? I'm so hopeful of that I'm willing to offer my help in any way needed, be it typing up the lists, formatting, posting - whatever!

Anyhoo . . . moving on, why am I finally making my first post NOW? Well, I have a ticket to offer up for tonight's show in Knoxville. I also plan to sport my Crowcaine shirt and didn't want to have to explain to you guys coming to the show that I had never posted. Embarassed (I feel just a bit better now.) I apologize for waiting so long to offer the ticket, but I thought I might use it. My husband and I have first row balcony seats, but I scored one awesome ticket and kept it with the plan to move back and forth between my seats during the show (like the belle of the ball, no doubt) Yes, it's only 1 ticket, but it's Section L (Pit left) Seat 7, Row PB (which in section L is the 1st row!) Cool . I'm broke AND badly bent, so I need to get face value for it ($35). I can meet the purchaser at the theater anytime after 7:30. Email me today before 6:00.

I'd tough out my financial dry spell and leave my husband sitting alone the entire show if the seat was Willie-side. (Lonesome Road Blues is tied with Silver Dagger for my top spot, with God's Got It right on their heels. I'm also loving Lift Him Up from the new CD. Mel don't swoon often, but Willie gets me every time. Top giddy-up songs are Raise a Ruckus and Hard to Tell ". . . if you neeeeed a place to lay your head, find a pretty little woman and a pretty big bed!")

I've also enjoyed reading your posts with stories about how you guys became fans, so I'll not-so-quickly add a my story before I go back to work.

When Mel saw the light: I'm a huge all-around music fan in general, but again, work has kept me out of the scene for a couple years now. I'm also addicted to my iPod, so I rarely listen to radio anymore. In early spring of last year I was driving over to NC (I live just outside Knoxville, by the way.) As usual, I was singing along to an iPod playlist - - - probably something like Bill Monroe, Kid Rock, Darrell Scott, Nickelback (I still wanna be a Rock Star!), Gov't Mule, G. Love, Del McCoury . . you name it. I stopped to buy gas around Asheville (turning off my iPod for a sec). I guess I must have been daydreaming when I got back in the car because I didn't immediately turn on my iPod. I was suddenly jolted back to life by the coolest tune I'd heard in years - - - yes, another Wagon Wheel enlightenment. I was convinced it must be a new band because there was no way I hadn't already discovered them. I'm still mortified that it took me so long. Anyway, that was as they say "all she wrote". I went home and ordered every CD from crowmedicine, bought the World Cafe episode from iTunes, then hit the web to find every posting I could about the band.

Now that I think back on it, the first thing I did before going bonkers with my bank account was hit the web. That's when I came across the Hardcore Troubadours article. (It was also when I realized how long I'd been clueless. - - a 2003 article! And I live in East TN and frequented MerleFest years ago, for goodness sakes!) Putting it mildly, that article knocked me off my feet. I had tears steaming down my face from being so touched by their love for the music and their desire to get back to the heart of it.

Quote:
Ketch: At some point music went from being something people played to being something that lives in a box in the corner of the room, like a toaster. It's gone from being something from within to something that's given to you. forced on you," Ketch explained that morning. "I feel like when we play, people can feel the timelessness. They can feel that they're rooted in something. Like we're able to play for a collective feeling that's lost, that used to be a big part of everything.

Another favorite quote, which I still have scribbled on a scrap piece of paper, thumb-tacked to the wall in my office.
Quote:
From the author: To the modern ear, old-rime sounds a little like sped-up, drunken children's songs-it plunks and scurries and trips. It's a little dirty, clumsy. It falls apart just enough. If bluegrass is a sturdy, groomed horse, old-time is a mule. (New hot country would be a painted carousel pony.) It's akin to punk rock; it has the same sophisticated lack of refinement, the same defiant authenticity.

I'm sure you diehards have read the article, but I encourage anyone who hasn't to look it up. I just can't express how it affected me. It woke me up and reminded me how deeply music is rooted in my soul and how much I needed it to be a priority in my life again.

So THAT'S when I went bonkers, scooping up every recording I could find. In addition to the standard releases, I was fortunate enough (much more fortunate than I realized at the time) to find Eutaw, Wawa, Troubles Up & Down the Road . . even TransMission, the WebCore Session, Renfro Valley (the Tear it Down video on YouTube is a fav of mine!), and even a 2002 live radio interview/jam. I proceeded to listen to nothing but Old Crow for months (Kid Rock is still sulking).

As freakishly addicted as I was at the time, I still had no idea how they could pull in a crowd. I heard about the 2007 Knoxville show a couple months in advance, but ignorantly thought I could grab a ticket a week or so before the show. I was devastated when I found out it was sold out. After that, I checked for tour updates almost daily. Grab your tissues for this one . . Crying or Very sad . . I got tickets this year for both nights at the Ryman (4th row Willie side Thurs night), Louisville, Asheville, and Knoxville, but let every ticket go to waste for one reason or another. (It's been a tough year for ol' Mel.) I still have a difficult time talking about missing those shows. But on the positive side, tonight will be my first show! I can't believe I'm finally here after almost 2 years of waiting. I'll be the one with the mile-wide grin.

If it's not painfully obvious at this point, another reason I haven't posted until now is because I knew in my first post I'd go on and on and on and give off massive psycho chick vibes. I swear I'm not a Crow stalker. Laughing I just can't stop myself when I start talking about them. At the risk of sounding corny . . they've changed my life. I have joy in my soul again.

(Thanks for making it all the way through my rambling.)

**I'M** gonna raise a ruckus tonight!

-Bluegrass Mel

indeedinoditsistern
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
*Garfunkled* Joined: 22 Jan 2008 Posts: 1524 Location: Hokes Bluff AL.
noooo u aint whackt. u are just another one of us. we all got the same crowmazomes. that IS the best article ever and i have used those SAME EXACT quotes too.

cant wait for a report after tonite!
TN Jim
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 23 Oct 2007 Posts: 340 Location: Greeneville-East Tn
Welcome!!! I'll be there tonight, 3rd row center section. If it's half as good as last year you'll be blown away!

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 30 Sep 2008 Posts: 46
bluegrassmel wrote:
I didn't even join as a member until June, at which time I became too embarrassed to post my "arrival" and admit I had been lurking for so long. But here I am now.

I felt that way too. Anyway, glad you're here. I am SO tempted to buy your ticket, but I shouldn't...I hope you do find someone who will though. Good luck!
gwrap
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 925 Location: Stankonia, GA
with that post, I think you are about 5 steps into the 12 step program for us crowholics!

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
bluegrassmel
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 09 Jun 2008 Posts: 3 Location: Coalfield, TN
I'm thrilled to report my extra is in happy hands!

Thanks guys, for the warm welcome.

bgmel

lbrod
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
Melanie, you certainly belong here. Make yourself at home, and post when you can.

Rod

"Crowmazomes"
Kitty
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Mel - I think you will fit right in here!!
The whistle knows my name
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Psycho lurker - qu'est-ce que c'est?

Welcome!

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
Howdy -do! Greetings from Ireland. Glad you finally got to see a show Very Happy

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
GREAT FIRST POST! Welcome welcome welcome!

So... what ya think about that knoxville show? It was pretty good I guess. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
welcome to therodges casa... glad to have "another" crowfan in the house!
Chigger
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
Awesome! Glad to have you, welcome to tha Murder! Sounds like you're a fan, alright. Hope you had a great show, I hear it was a good 'un.... Give us a review of your first one!