old crow fans Forum Index

<  Off Topic  ~  Thoughts for a friend - oldcrowfan "ruralvoice"

kg
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
That's dynamite! (That meant 'good' back in my day.) rural, you're a force of nature and God will not let you down. Bless you!

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
*Garfunkled* Joined: 22 Jan 2008 Posts: 1524 Location: Hokes Bluff AL.
yes bless you and whats important.
rlove3
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
*Mr. Lehman* Joined: 26 Oct 2006 Posts: 1102 Location: Asheville, NC
barry, i've been away from these parts for some time now, but i just read your whole saga, and i'm thrilled with your good news. you will be in my prayers. your enduring spirit and willingness to look for the good in things is inspiring. may god continue to work with and through you and happy new year my brother.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Barry - it was great meeting you and watching you up there enjoying the show was just fantastic. So glad you could make it. Wishing you the best for 2010!
lbrod
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
Thanks, Kitty, you said it just about perfect. Barry, you the man.
pittsyltucky
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Glad you got your Knees, Barry - and dedicated to you, no less. You rate pretty good, man!! Lol!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
another update from FL... that phone could ring anytime yall...

My position on the liver transplant list was "activated" on January 6 right on schedule (after being approved by the Mayo Clinic I had to temporarily relocate to Florida within 4 hours driving distance). I was then assigned a "MELD" (Model End-Stage Liver Disease) score. The score affects where you are on the list and, obviously, the wait time. The Mayo Clinic here in Jacksonville does about 170 liver transplants a year, which is a lot. And, there success rate is 93.6 per cent due to their very rigorous protocols and processes (such things as being within 4 hours from the facility, etc.). I am now in Melbourne, Florida where I temporarily live while "waiting the call" which can come at any time, day or night.

I will keep you all posted at the point of surgery. I know that some were thinking I would just head down for the surgery, but, unfortunately, that is not the way it works.

I did see the GI doctor at the Mayo Clinic today, and he reinforced that I have made the right decision and that I have been diagnosed at a very early stage. PLUS, I have gained 6 pounds since July which is EXCELLENT (concentrating on diet and eating--wouldn't everyone like to have that problem....).

Best regards to the board!

Barry
therodge
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
GREAT NEWS!

We're all pulling for ya Barry! Praying for ya too! Glad to hear its all moving in the right direction, brother!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
That's right, man! You keep on eatin' and we'll keep on prayin'! Very Happy

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Amen!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
bopanic wrote:
another update from FL... that phone could ring anytime yall...

My position on the liver transplant list was "activated" on January 6 right on schedule (after being approved by the Mayo Clinic I had to temporarily relocate to Florida within 4 hours driving distance). I was then assigned a "MELD" (Model End-Stage Liver Disease) score. The score affects where you are on the list and, obviously, the wait time. The Mayo Clinic here in Jacksonville does about 170 liver transplants a year, which is a lot. And, there success rate is 93.6 per cent due to their very rigorous protocols and processes (such things as being within 4 hours from the facility, etc.). I am now in Melbourne, Florida where I temporarily live while "waiting the call" which can come at any time, day or night.

I will keep you all posted at the point of surgery. I know that some were thinking I would just head down for the surgery, but, unfortunately, that is not the way it works.

I did see the GI doctor at the Mayo Clinic today, and he reinforced that I have made the right decision and that I have been diagnosed at a very early stage. PLUS, I have gained 6 pounds since July which is EXCELLENT (concentrating on diet and eating--wouldn't everyone like to have that problem....).

Best regards to the board!

Barry

Fascinating. I didn't realize that's how it worked.
Man, that's gonna be one crazy 4-hour drive when it happens. Keep your focus!
Good luck.
LucyStag
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
*Cruel Lucille* Joined: 20 Mar 2008 Posts: 1022 Location: Dunno
Haven't met rural, but I'm still pleased by all the hopeful news. May it all go smoothly and with all success.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
barry is going to let me know as soon as he gets "the call" ive got a feeling ill be hearing from him soon!
Chigger
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope so. Be sure to let us know when he hollers at ya, Bo!

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
still awaiting the call from barry with the "big" call...
Chigger
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Good deal. We're still thinking about ol' Barry!

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
so did Barry find somewhere nice to hang out?

swimming with dolphins or just being cool listening to ninebullets playlists?

http://ninebullets.net/

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
a little more info, but still waiting on the "call"

Hi Bo,

I am all settled in down in central Florida with a family I have known for about 25 years. I am actually staying with their daughter, her husband and their two children, ages 7 and 15. So, I am not missing any activity......!!

While waiting here for "the call" I will visit the Mayo Clinic every six weeks (for monitoring), but hope my new organ will happen sooner than the average for the clinic (3 months).

The temperature here, on average, in the daytime is about 76 this time of year. There have been periods of cooler weather when one of those "Tennessee cold fronts" makes it down here. But, it warms up quickly after a day or two. I know you have had snow up there........I was at the beach.

Hey, I got my banjo out tonight and was playing "Soldiers Joy" and "Liberty" and showing my friend who has a mandolin how to play a few simple songs we could join on like Boil Them Cabbage Down, Cripple Creek and Banjo in the Hollow.

I passed my IRS certification to do income taxes for the Tax-Aide program again (have been doing that in Tennessee for the past five years). I'll be going down to the library a couple of days a week to prepare returns and e-file them free for people.

All in all, I am keeping busy while waiting for "the call".

You are on the list for a broadcast message whenever I get notified of pending surgery.

Thanks to everyone for thinking of me.

Best regards,
Barry
aka: Ruralvoice
bopanic
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

Barry just called me and said he received the call from the Mayo Clinic for his transplant. His procedure will begin this morning at 10:00am EST. The surgery will last 4-6 hours. I will send an update later in the day when I get word from him.

Thanks!
Kitty
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Whhhooooowwwwhhhoooo!!! Sending good thoughts your way Barry!!! And keeping positive vibes going that way all day long!!!

Thanks for the update Bo!!
lbrod
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
Great news! Happy prayers going out today.
LucyStag
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
*Cruel Lucille* Joined: 20 Mar 2008 Posts: 1022 Location: Dunno
Best of luck to Barry. I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
What a great day!!! Fan-frickin'-tastic!!!! Big WOOOOOOOOOT!!!

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Awesome awesome awesome!!!! Great news, great news! Glad to hear it, Barry! The Lord answers prayer... BOOYAH!

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Fantastic!

I'm going to go pray up a storm.

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
good news update from a friend of barrys, as he clearly cant be on email at the current time.

Friends of Barry Breen:

You may have kept up with Barry's medical condition regarding amyloidosis. Barry asked me to e-mail you to provide an update on his condition. I am the son of a long time friend of his from his high school years. He has been on the waiting list for a liver transplant to stop the progression of a very rare hereditary disease. A donor match was identified, and Barry had surgery a few hours ago and hopes to have a successful recovery. All is fine and he was recently moved back into his room for recovery. The procedure was performed at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida. He will be in the hospital anywhere from 4-7 days, depending on any complications and then will be recovering near the hospital at the Inn of the Mayo Clinic for about 3-6 weeks, but he hopes to be home in Nashville in 4 weeks. My mom, Carolyn, is with him taking care of him during his recovery.

the address of the Inn at the Mayo Clinic is:

GUEST: Barry Breen
c/o Inn at the Mayo
4420 Mary Brigh Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32224

I know Barry would look forward to hearing from you as he continues this difficult journey.

Regards,
Steven
Chigger
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I'll keep on praying for you man!

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 27 Oct 2007 Posts: 557 Location: God's Country
great news! praying for a speedy recovery.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 23 Oct 2007 Posts: 340 Location: Greeneville-East Tn
That's some great news!!

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
update from the man himself...

Bo,

Last Tuesday morning at 1:30am I received a call from the Mayo Clinic that a matching donor had been found and my number reached on the transplant list (after only 55 days!!). With careful planning already done, my friends in Florida took me to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville by 5am, the report time. I was prepped for surgery and went into surgery at 10am. The surgery lasted 5 hours.

I have a healthy liver and am recovering nicely. I feel great and have little soreness except at the incision site if stressing that location. I am up walking every day (was up on Wednesday and today walking and doing exercises). All my vital signs are excellent and all the doctors are marveling at my recovery. I do not look like I just had a major organ replaced.

I wanted to catch up on a few e-mails. I'll be back in regular e-mail service next week when recovering at a local hotel near the clinic. I will likely be released from the hospital on Sunday or Monday, probably Sunday.

I thank everyone for their continued well wishes and prayers, and still remember Willie's dedication to me during the encore at the Ryman, that really made my year!!

I will keep you posted. Liver transplants, as any organ transplants, are all about rejection and minimizing that risk while still allowing one's body to fight typical infections.

Thanks to all my friends on the board!!!

Barry
aka: ruralvoice