old crow fans Forum Index

<  Live  ~  Indio, CA - 4/17/10 - *Coachella Festival*

kg
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
Old Crow Medicine Show will perform at the 2010 Coachella Music Festival in Indio, CA on Saturday, April 17th. Other artists scheduled to perform that day include The Dead Weather, Faith No More, Devo and Muse. Performance time and stage are to be announced.

Tickets go on sale Friday, January 22nd @10am PST.

For more information and to purchase tickets, please visit coachella.com.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
I think DJ Z*Trip is going to be there too. Hmmmm... never been out west and have been planning to....

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
That is way out there in the desert east of LA. In april it may not be over 100 degrees yet. I'm hoping this will mean some other west coast dates on their way home from down under.
cfMC
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 30 Oct 2005 Posts: 412 Location: SF CA USA
unrelated aside, check out this hilarious fake lineup poster ridiculing Coachella as played out beyond all recogniziton

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/hipsterrunoff/photographs/34bbb1c7.jpg
bopanic
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
therodge wrote:
Hmmmm... never been out west and have been planning to....

do it! im out here near the coachella fest site right now. im working the bob hope PGA classic and even though its been raining the last few days (which from what the locals say NEVER happens) it sure is nice out here!
DeanRogers
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Jul 2006 Posts: 896 Location: Ocean City, MD
Yo Rodge I am lobbying the wife to go TAB plays the day before OCMS. That would be an amazing time

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
dang I wish I was going to this BUT!!!!!

You will be able stream Old Crow's set live on saturday!

MYSPACE
FACEBOOK

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Sweet! I been hard up for a dose of crowcaine here lately. Very timely.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
oh, just noticed you can watch the Avett Bros on friday as well

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
You know Tucky will be glued to his computer screen watching those Avett boys!!
okie dokie
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 14 Nov 2008 Posts: 372 Location: Tulsa, OK
cfMC wrote:
unrelated aside, check out this hilarious fake lineup poster ridiculing Coachella as played out beyond all recogniziton

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/hipsterrunoff/photographs/34bbb1c7.jpg

haha! Cherry Poppin Daddies are ACTUALLY headlining Tulsa Mayfest this year, people here are soooo pissed
Chigger
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
okie dokie wrote:

haha! Cherry Poppin Daddies are ACTUALLY headlining Tulsa Mayfest this year, people here are soooo pissed

Yessir, they'll be havin' themselves a regular ol Zoot Suit Riot over in Tulsatown.... Very Happy

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
*Cruel Lucille* Joined: 20 Mar 2008 Posts: 1022 Location: Dunno
Chigger wrote:
okie dokie wrote:

Yessir, they'll be havin' themselves a regular ol Zoot Suit Riot over in Tulsatown.... Very Happy

Awww, to be fair, at least THAT was a good song. I always feel bad for the old one hint wonder folks...

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
Hey, I ain't knockin' it too bad! I think I actually may have that CD somewhere... Very Happy

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Ketch always cheers me up.

http://www.examiner.com/x-11210-Indie-Music-Examiner~y2010m4d15-Nashvilles-Old-Crow-Medicine-Show-is-set-to-rock-Coachella-like-its-1926

Nashville's Old Crow Medicine Show is set to rock Coachella like it's 1926
April 15, 12:01 PM
Indie Music Examiner
Richard Thomas

Old Crow Medicine Show

At approximately 3pm on Saturday, legions of Muse fans crowded in front of the Coachella main stage to ensure prime viewing spots for the UK space-rockers will be transformed into back country peckerwoods. Nashville, Tennessee’s Old Crow Medicine Show is fixin’ to party like it’s 1926, and as fiddler and vocalist Ketch Secor explains, that’s very much a good thing.

You’re Nashville-based band, right? I’ve got a lot of relatives from Eastern Kentucky in a place called Johnson County. That’s a special part of the world, man.

Ketch Secor: I know Johnson County. We play a lot in a place called Prestonsburg. They just built a new state-of-the-art venue there, and of course all the money came from this company called Black Diamond Coal.

As it usually does in those parts.

Ketch Secor: Well, Black Diamond was flush and they built a big venue and we play there occasionally. We have a lot of fans in East Kentucky because we play a lot of hillbilly music, but East Kentucky needs good fiddle music more than anyone else. It’s funny how the inventors of the craft could be so removed from the rewards of their endeavor. You know how it is down there. You’ve got Wal-Marts and a couple of chain stores and hot new country on the radio. About 60 years before, and for 100 years before that, this incredible style of fiddle music was coming out of those hills. I think people really appreciate hearing a good fiddle played in East Kentucky.

I agree. As a kid who did a fair amount of cross-country driving with my family, we listened to a lot of country: KT Oslin, John Conlee, Lacy J. Dalton. They were right on the fringe of crossing over into pop, but these days I feel like country has been completely commandeered by the mainstream. On one hand you’ve got to be happy about the genre’s success as a whole, but on the other it’s really not what it once was.

Ketch Secor: Yeah, and it kind chokes me up a bit. I, like you, grew up loving what was popular in country music when I was a kid, and it was from John Conlee to about Randy Travis.

John Conlee’s Rose Colored Glasses was a classic.

Ketch Secor: Now, you can go to the Opry and John Conlee sings “Rose Colored Glasses” every weekend, so it didn’t stop. You can still have that piece of country music, and if all you listen to is WSM radio, you can live in that world of country music, and I do. I live in a black neighborhood and I listen to the radio station that the old ladies listen to because it’s safe and I like the commercials. Everything’s got a jingle! It’s really how you choose to exist. I would say the problem with country music is the problem with all music, and a problem of the time. Country music is a populist form. It belongs to the people, but when you blast it at the people and it’s this sweet candy music, then it’s got nothing to do with country. Country people invented country music, but now they have to buy it back. They’ve lost the skills on how to make it. The reinvention of country music is what the Old Crow Medicine Show is up to, and that’s something that needs to be done.

And unfortunately it’s a genre of music that’s been co-opted by a very specific socio-political movement.

Ketch Secor: You went to Hank Williams shows so you could dance, drink in the parking lot and feel up girls, and that sounds like rock ‘n’ roll. That’s counter-culture. Now you go to country music to take a loyalty oath, buy skull products and sign your kid up for the armed services. Country music has been co-opted, reformed and sold back to us, but it’s a f*cking impostor. But country music was always for the peckerwoods. Those right-wingers, they’ve got a place in country music, and they’re entitled to it. Now politics aside, if you grew up in horse culture, if you grew up knowing how to handle a team of mules, country music belongs to you. Even if you hate Obama, even if you’re scared as hell of California. If you grew up working with your hands, country music belongs to you, no matter where you stand, what you stand for, or what you’re afraid of. But there’s a lot of deception because the commodification of our art means power and money for a lot of people. If country music filled you with hope the way they say it does, rather than dumb you down, this would be a different kind of American south we’re living in.

Where did the band's name come from? It has a bit of mystery, a bit of rock ‘n’ roll, a bit of mysticism, a little American Indian.

Ketch Secor: When we first got started in about 1998, we started because we had to get out of that [upstate New York] town. It was just getting ridiculous. We were all 21 and in love with the same girl. It was just time to move out, so we headed out to Canada to go play street corners. We needed a name that sounded mystical and Indian and country and black, but most of all it needed to sound like it was from the ’20s. We needed something that would roll off your tongue; that had some cadence to it. So that was a title I came up with coming back from a dishwashing job in Ithaca, NY that summer.

Your last full-length, Tennessee Pusher, was produced by Don Was. He really did something to that album that makes it true to its art form, yet makes it accessible to those who might not be in tune with country music and its instrumentation.

Ketch Secor: That’s one of the hallmarks of the work of Don Was. He can recast the light. There’s a way that he can look at a picture that a lot of other people can’t, and there’s an angle to the record that we’re really proud of. But see, the hillbillies and the peckerwoods, they know that it’s country music. It’s in their blood. You can’t deny the fiddle. A fiddle won’t fool you. Here’s a good example, though. We’re not playing Stagecoach. We’re playing the one before with all the rock bands and the hip-hop artists. When we get on that stage in front of all them people that have just heard the hottest and biggest sounds from 2010, we’re gonna get up there and we’re gonna play music from Memphis, 1926...and you’re gonna love it, because we’re all from Memphis, 1926. Because Elvis is, because the Beatles are, because the Rolling Stones are. Half them artists that are gonna be on stage are gonna have a root that stretches out into the American south. That’s the power of this music, and it’s not because of the Old Crow Medicine Show by any means. We just happen to be picking it up because somebody dropped it off. This music belongs to all of us, and it’s empowering.

You guys have anything going for the next record? Anything written or any release plans?

Ketch Secor: Well, I’m looking at a guitar right now and there’s a big stack of papers next to it. I see my Tascam Digital Workstation. So yeah, it’s happening. I don’t know where of for who or what the timeline is, but that’s a big old stack of papers right there. I hope there’s something in there.

You’re in the demo phase?

Ketch Secor: I guess that’s the demo phase. We go from the demo phase to the record phase pretty quick. We’re a string band now, mind you. We’re testing new material out on a street corner. If you make an extra buck, you know it’s good. I’m not sure when we’re gonna have a new Old Crow record, but it’ll probably be recorded in the year.

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 24 Sep 2008 Posts: 567 Location: Bacon's Castle, Virginia
Very interesting article. Reminds me of "Do Re Mi" to an extent.

Anyone feel me on that?
therodge
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
agreed! Good'n! Glad to see some action on the ol forum here and the boys out playing and hobnob'n. Speaking of, the live stream times are as follows

today: Avett Brothers 9:05pm (EST)
tomorrow: Old Crow Medicine Show 8:00pm (EST)

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 14 Jun 2008 Posts: 900 Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Man the live feed is awesome! Great work with the cams, and the sound is hot! I read they are doing bonnaroo also. Nice crowd but I hear boo's... I love Ketch's Shirt!

LucyStag
Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I imagine there are people in the crowd very confused as the band they're seeing. I don't like the folks way in front who aren't into it -- if you don't dig it, stand aside and let some of the dancing folks in front.

I best these festivals are insane and sort of horrible, but I do have a hankering to see the Old Crow out of doors now.

(This is totally unrelated, but how can Willie possibly wear that shirt every single show?)

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 14 Jun 2008 Posts: 900 Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Hey Lucy are you watching it live?

LucyStag
Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. It said live, but the facebook seemed to say it was two hour delayed.

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
I didn't hear any boo's cause I had that mug cranked! They set that junk on fire!!! Blazin set! Wagon Wheel and Tell It To Me didnt carry the punch of the rest of the songs but ah, what can you do? How about that Shortening Bread?! And what about ol Willie scuffin up Morgan's bass? hahaha! "It sure smells good here at Coachella"

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 06 Oct 2009 Posts: 68
I have a feeling ol' Ketch wouldn't care too much for my politics.
kg
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/2010/04/17/coachella-2010-day-2-old-crow-medicine-show-plays-for-tips-in-the-vip-area/24537/

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 03 Sep 2009 Posts: 17
I missed the stream =( Any videos around yet?
kg
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34BUSCM5-BQ

(Didn't I promise not to post anymore "Wagon Wheel" vids?)

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
is it that good? Laughing

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 14 Nov 2008 Posts: 372 Location: Tulsa, OK
kg wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34BUSCM5-BQ

(Didn't I promise not to post anymore "Wagon Wheel" vids?)

i think that is the only person i have EVER seen who DOESNT know the words to wagon wheel
pittsyltucky
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
kg wrote:
http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/2010/04/17/coachella-2010-day-2-old-crow-medicine-show-plays-for-tips-in-the-vip-area/24537/

Reading this one made me smile real big. Please bring back the Tear It Down/Jimmy Sutton pair-up. "You can't play a song about a mule without playing a song about a sheep."

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
okie dokie wrote:
i think that is the only person i have EVER seen who DOESNT know the words to wagon wheel

You know what is sad? I still have to look them up, straight up pitiful I know. Ain't like haven't heard it a couple thousand times.

btw, My bro was at the show and he said they blew the roof off the motha! Rick was really surprised how much everyone was into it... not that he had doubts about the boys but just that folks were THAT into it! He said they were on the main stage and playing in front of a good 35,000 people or more! And he said when Willie, in classic form, broke his string everyone was like "oh no!" but when he came back in less than 30 seconds without missing a beat and sang his part that the place went completely bonkers!!! They did my brother really proud. Rick hasn't seen them near as many times as I have but he was standing right next to me on 2nd Ave here in Nashville when we saw them busking way back when. Its a very very cool thing to see that whole journey. Rick had a great time, it blows my mind because my brother hardly ever goes to concerts. He is much more of a sports fan. It's the equivalent of my obsession with music I reckon. It was real cool to hear about how much fun he had and look at all his pictures and videos. I couldnt make it because I wasnt for sure about my taxes and what have you. But anyway, really looking forward to these old crow shows coming up. Been since New Years.