old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  CARRY ME BACK - new album July 2012

rlove3
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
*Mr. Lehman* Joined: 26 Oct 2006 Posts: 1102 Location: Asheville, NC
therodge wrote:
I keep forgetting to mention it but, seeing Morgan using his old bass with the Tennessee flag sticker on it tickles me pink.

WERD! me too

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Rockland County NY
GumboStu wrote:
I ordered via the boys FB and should get the autographed insert .. the bad news is it shipped from Boston today :( gonna be a few days yet

The bad news, and I hate to be spoiler, SPOILER ALERT stop hear if you don't want to know the ending , but OCMS sacrifice themselves to save the world at the end of the album... sorry I heard it in advance and I could not resist, I had to tell somebody, but the band does at least save the world from the Suwannee Mountain Cats before it is over.
pittsyltucky
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
I whole-heartedly agree with jkorp's prose...

except for

I think it may have been "and pride" in the first performances, but may as easily have been "we cried" the whole time.
Certainly those boys did cry when they'd wake up from the ether or chloroform haze to find they were missing a limb. That's a hard case for c.1862... Sure, it'll get you a pretty young wife down the road, but your Yankee-killin' days are done. Enough to make any dyed-in-the-wool Johnny shed a tear!

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/07/album-review-old-crow-medicine-show-carry-me-back/

http://knucklerumbler.com/2012/07/review-old-crow-medicine-show-carry-me-back/

I don't know why I read these things...

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
Now I have to read them!

I guess somebody has too Laughing

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
*Cruel Lucille* Joined: 20 Mar 2008 Posts: 1022 Location: Dunno
pittsyltucky wrote:
I whole-heartedly agree with jkorp's prose...

except for

I think it may have been "and pride" in the first performances, but may as easily have been "we cried" the whole time.
Certainly those boys did cry when they'd wake up from the ether or chloroform haze to find they were missing a limb. That's a hard case for c.1862... Sure, it'll get you a pretty young wife down the road, but your Yankee-killin' days are done. Enough to make any dyed-in-the-wool Johnny shed a tear!

Or maybe they cried [beat] oh won't you carry me back, carry me back to Virginia.

Either way it works fine.

Did it really get you a wife, Tucky?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Them gals thought it were their patriotic duty at the time. Lot of them fellers who were widowers ended up with young gals again later in life, too. That Confederate Soldier's Pension was a good draw! As a result, I have met several men in my days who were actual sons of confederate veterans.

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 26 Jan 2006 Posts: 599 Location: JELLICO TN
rlove3 wrote:
therodge wrote:
I keep forgetting to mention it but, seeing Morgan using his old bass with the Tennessee flag sticker on it tickles me pink.

WERD! me too

I feel the same!! I noticed it the other day and was super excited!

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
*Cruel Lucille* Joined: 20 Mar 2008 Posts: 1022 Location: Dunno
pittsyltucky wrote:
Them gals thought it were their patriotic duty at the time. Lot of them fellers who were widowers ended up with young gals again later in life, too. That Confederate Soldier's Pension was a good draw! As a result, I have met several men in my days who were actual sons of confederate veterans.

I had heard of the last one or two confederate widows, so yes, this makes sense. Don't know if it's worth it even to get two lovely ladies, though...

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 926 Location: Stankonia, GA
Got the CD in the mail last night, and to my surprise, the liner notes have all of the lyrics... Haven't seen that in a while. Then again, I haven't purchased a CD since Tennessee Pusher either.

Now if they would just release liner notes for all of the songs that cause dispute in the Lyrics section! (although that would put Tucky out of a job!) Laughing

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
pittsyltucky
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I think Pusher came with the lyrics... I am glad of it for clarity's sake as well.

Half-Mile Down and Bootlegger's Boy are getting the most play. I have found if you change direction at the end of Half Mile, Bootlegger's starts up on the cassette format. I probably do that twice and then let it play around again. I'm not not liking any of the tracks now. The sound effects on the tape seem more subdued than on the relix stream... That may just be what I'm listening on, though... Anyone else listening to a tape? Laughing

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
LucyStag wrote:

Or maybe they cried [beat] oh won't you carry me back, carry me back to Virginia.

Well that just seems obvious now that you string the whole sentence together... Laughing

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
pittsyltucky wrote:
The sound effects on the tape seem more subdued than on the relix stream... That may just be what I'm listening on, though... Anyone else listening to a tape? Laughing

did you ... (pause for effect) ... clean your heads?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I always encourage people to wash their hands...

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Lengthy interview: http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/interview-ketch-secor-of-old-crow-medicine-show/Content?oid=2469732

This is the link contained within the aforementioned interview: http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/a-wild-wind-a-comin-old-crow-medicine-show-at-onc/Content?oid=2469739

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Ketch has done a lot more cussin' than usual for this record's interviews. I have no point.

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Haha. I guess I really just want at least one Willie question. I'm supposing interviewers have been asked to not go down that line of questioning.

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 01 Feb 2008 Posts: 56 Location: Stockton, CA
Downloaded mine off Amazon last night (What a steal). So far Im liking it a lot more than Tennessee Pusher. A bit more up beat, and I feel the originals/songwriting have improved since then. Cool

Glad Critter is back even though his presence isnt too apparent on here, and bummed that Willie is gone. At least hes present here and sounding good. Smile
jkorp
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:04 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 22 Feb 2007 Posts: 976 Location: The Right Coast
Cali_OCMS_Fan wrote:
Downloaded mine off Amazon last night (What a steal).

DITTO! In the cloud baby.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 05 Jun 2011 Posts: 79
The whistle knows my name wrote:
Haha. I guess I really just want at least one Willie question. I'm supposing interviewers have been asked to not go down that line of questioning.

One of the early promo interviews mentions it and says, "the boys are more interested in talking about the future." Somebody's been coaching them in press skills. Not that Ketch needs help talking.

And yes, that Amazon deal feels a lot like stealing.

I'd like to go on record saying that I thought TP was a decent album. A detour I'm glad they returned from, but better than most of what's out there. Just not really an OCMS record.
kg
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote
The Amazon deal leaves more money for me to spend on concert tickets--if the boys ever care to visit Wisconsin again!

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/161113-old-crow-medicine-show-carry-me-back/

Have any of the reviewers picked up on Willie being on this album?

http://www.lsureveille.com/revranks-old-crow-medicine-show-carry-me-back-1.2747974

http://blog.earbits.com/online_radio/album-review-carry-me-back-by-old-crow-medicine-show/

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 09 Sep 2008 Posts: 453 Location: Scotland
kg wrote:
http://blog.earbits.com/online_radio/album-review-carry-me-back-by-old-crow-medicine-show/

Ugghh! I shouldn't read these "reviews". This one's annoyed me the most so far!
Kitty
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Ugh is right missyjay!! That was TERRIBLE!!! I swear, these people that write these reviews don't know anything about the band and don't try to learn. Why not give the SINGER of the song a name... not just "deeper voiced member". Why? It is because they don't know jack schnizel.
Jumpin' Bean
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 25 Sep 2008 Posts: 1018 Location: Madison, WI
kg wrote:
The Amazon deal leaves more money for me to spend on concert tickets--if the boys ever care to visit Wisconsin again!

I'm sure they'll be around again some day... I live on hope!

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
http://www.cmt.com/news/country-music/1690042/old-crow-medicine-show-carries-traditional-country.jhtml

http://awaitingtheflood.com/old-crow-medicine-show-gets-carried-away/

http://louisville.metromix.com/music/article/old-crow-medicine-show/3135428/content

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 09 Sep 2008 Posts: 453 Location: Scotland
Kitty wrote:
Ugh is right missyjay!! That was TERRIBLE!!! I swear, these people that write these reviews don't know anything about the band and don't try to learn. Why not give the SINGER of the song a name... not just "deeper voiced member". Why? It is because they don't know jack schnizel.

jack schnizel indeed Very Happy Yes, "deeper voiced member"...aggghh, they could have at least tried to find out who's singing. And then all that Wagon Wheel stuff.

Oh, yes, and apparently old time is "schmaltzy cheese". Hmmm.

What an eejit!
DirtyHogg
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 16 Jun 2010 Posts: 71 Location: Louisville, KY
missyjay6 wrote:
kg wrote:

Ugghh! I shouldn't read these "reviews". This one's annoyed me the most so far!

I have to say that if this is as bad as it gets (and this might be as bad as I've seen...so far) then this is a pretty good CD. This person is obviously reviewing a mass amount of bands because they are the "music reviewer" and write obituaries on the side.

kg
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
http://aestheticmag.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/old-crow-medicine-show-returns-to-form-with-carry-me-back/

http://www.mxdwn.com/2012/07/20/reviews/old-crow-medicine-show-carry-me-back/

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 31 May 2007 Posts: 12 Location: Ontario, Canada
Sounds like Colin needs to listen more closely to Ain't It Enough. On another note does anyone else think We Don't Grow Tobacco sounds a lot like the Mississippi Sheiks Bootlegger's Blues?