old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  CARRY ME BACK - new album July 2012

The whistle knows my name
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Vampires were never this mainstream. Or this innocuous. When I read Interview with the Vampire in high school, vampires were still an interest of the "weird" kids. It was an alternative interest.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 160 Location: Gladewater, TX
This may have already been discussed, but does anybody know the name of the instrumental song that the boys used to play that has the same tune as Carry Me Back? Or maybe it's always been called Carry Me Back and Ketch just added the words?

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 16 Jun 2010 Posts: 71 Location: Louisville, KY
I thought that it was Cumberland Gap from WAWA. It certainly sounds like the same chorus. Not sure if thats what your talking about.

spgass
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 24 Dec 2008 Posts: 30
I held off on reading other people's reviews until I wrote my own. It's a bit late (Amazon free super saver shipping took a bit to get here).

Published on Low Tech Times today:

Quote:
The Old Crow Medicine Show is out with a new album. I’ve listened to it a few times and am pleased to say it’s a good album.

The album kicks off with the fast track Carry Me Back, which reminded me a bit of a raucous Chieftains tune. There are a number of other fast paced songs on the album like Mississippi Saturday Night.

My favorite track on the album is We Don’t Grow Tobacco, a catchy song with a stomp beat.

The album also features a couple of really fine, slow waltz numbers entitled
Ain’t It Enough and Ways of Man.

The aforementioned We Don’t Grow Tobacco and Ain’t It Enough both feature the fine vocals of Willie Watson, who is no longer a member of the group.

GumboStu
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
Album arrived this morning! Blasting a guitar amp on the front step and raking grass off the lawn Very Happy

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Attaboy!

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 22 Feb 2007 Posts: 976 Location: The Right Coast
TexasBoy wrote:
This may have already been discussed, but does anybody know the name of the instrumental song that the boys used to play that has the same tune as Carry Me Back? Or maybe it's always been called Carry Me Back and Ketch just added the words?

DirtyHogg is correct, it is "Cumberland Gap", but it does have lyrics.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/cd-review-old-crow-medicine-show-carry-me-back

http://www.christandpopculture.com/asides/god-and-country-music-tradition-innovation-and-old-crow-medicine-show/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=god-and-country-music-tradition-innovation-and-old-crow-medicine-show

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
http://www.expressnightout.com/2012/08/traditions-twang/

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
therodge wrote:
Billboard Charts for Carry Me Back!

Billboard 200»

Country Albums»

Independent Albums»

Folk Albums»

Bluegrass Albums»

Digital Albums»

Tastemaker Albums»

Nice!

Week 2
Billboard 200»

Country Albums»

Independent Albums»

Folk Albums»

Bluegrass Albums»

Tastemaker Albums»

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
there it is... the #1 bluegrass album!
kg
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
http://www.timesnews.net/article/9050113/old-crow-starts-new-chapter-with-carry-me-back

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
Good ol' Kingsport Times News. My mom worked there for a few years, haha

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
Must read: http://www.roanoke.com/extra/wb/312736

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
That is a good read.... I would sure like to know who those other four asked to audition were!! It will be great to see how they grow as a group. Seems like this tour is purely in support of the album - so I don't think we will see a lot of Chance's real contributions till the next tour.
kg
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
And here's the podcast: http://blogs.roanoke.com/cutnscratch/2012/08/podcast-with-old-crow-medicine-shows-chance-mccoy-former-floyd-resident-performs-old-crow-in-salem-on-aug-17/

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 08 Aug 2008 Posts: 126 Location: Worcester, MA

I had asked a question about this earlier, and maybe it's something that the band likes to keep private, but I found it interesting that the article said "And after a few years without a label..."

Was the 4 year wait due to them not having a label? It seems amazing to me that Nettwerk would drop them, given their popularity, so I'm wondering if the band had problems with the label. They sort of skirt around the fact that there may have been support issues with Nettwerk, but nothing explicit. Honestly, they seem like great candidates for an Acony Records-style self-label, with their grassroots support and popularity with the DIY subculture. But that's a lot of work, so they would have to be really into it, and ATO Records seems like a good label to be with.

Mostly curiosity from me, I'm a musician myself and find the inner workings of the music industry quite interesting.

-Tyler
kg
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
http://mattpoprocks.blogspot.com/2012/08/old-crow-medicine-show-interview.html

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
http://www2.dailyprogress.com/entertainment/2012/aug/17/old-crow-medicine-show-makes-most-new-lineup-ar-2137093/

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessAtlanta-sharing_/secor-talks-about-old-1502701.html

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 05 Nov 2007 Posts: 16 Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
I downloaded the album from amazon (so cheap!) but I was wondering, does anybody know where I could find the liner notes online? Sometimes I miss the old days of CDs.....
kg
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
http://www.thedailytimes.com/Weekend/story/Medicine-men-Members-of-Old-Crow-still-making-music-anchored-in-Old-Time-sounds-and-youthful-exuberance-id-026847

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm too lazy to translate this myself; I let Google do it!

Nostalgic Future Of The Past! Old Crow Medicine Show - Carry Me Back Old Crow Medicine Show - Carry Me Back

For the title I did a triple somersault with screwed oxymoron, is so convoluted that I almost did not even realize that I've written. How could someone say insiders football that raged on Never Say Goal by glorious beginnings "maybe I did not understand it." But jokes aside, this phenomenon, as we define them?, String bands, which are a genre that, for lack of better terms, and for convenience we will call Bluegrass, in recent years has hit the American music scene. Even if we look good is a style that has always been present in the United States: it is their music, as well as rock and roll, blues or jazz. The call also country, with the risk of confusing it with a lot of the crap that comes out of Nashville (not all, there is much to be saved there too), but now, for the strange circumstances of life, has become a sort of futuristic music, Or even for the younger age groups, the same as Old Crow Medicine Show, is presented even as a break with the past.

To the undersigned not think so, though at one time a group like the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, country-rock attitude, it was a super hard as traditional Will The Circle Be Unbroken, today there are bands like the Avett Brothers, associates some ways of Old Crow, who joined seamlessly electric and acoustic music, country and bluegrass, with the rock mainstream, under the production of Rick Rubin. But we could also mention the lodging jam groups like the String Cheese Incident or Yonder Mountain String Band and many others which sail to the limit of these conventions sound. The Old Crow Medicine Show are perhaps more "purists", string acoustic band by definition, no drums, no electric guitars, bass to keep the rhythm but open to collaborations with other artists of previous generations also, contrary to what some say young reviewers not found these links with the past. For example, in this Carry Me Back, Jim Lauderdale, a great musician of worship in the American country music scene of the previous generation, writes and sings with them, in the beautiful ballatona Half Mile Down, a lament on the great traditions of rural America who are losing .

And it's not that they are fundamentalists absolute in the previous Tennessee Pusher, produced by Don Was, battery and some spark of electricity there. And do not forget that last year, at the invitation of Mumford and Sons, in memory of the old caravans that the group's name evokes, turned to the United States by train, with Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, in a Big Easy Express tour that has also become a good documentary on Blu-Ray/DVD. A formula that was taken from the old Festival Express, another tour carriages of 1970, when bands like the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band, but also Flying Burrito Brothers, Sha Na Na and many others, scorrazzato by train the Canadian plains.

Carry Me Back. For the first time I entered the Top 30 of the U.S. charts, albeit in 22nd place, and only for a week, even if their concerts, as documented by various DVD, are attended by hordes of young Saving Silverman, who had come to listen and dance with their frenetic breakdowns based on violin, banjo and acoustic guitars at supersonic speeds, a bit 'as happens in sections of acoustic shows of the Avett Brothers. O, to a still more mass, in the most of the folk performances of Mumford and Sons, whose debut album (waiting for the new Babel out Sept. 25, as well as The Avett Carpenter of September 11) is in the classic U.S. 125 weeks. And the American charts of the kind of disc Old Crow, can be found in those of Folk, Country, Bluegrass and Tastemakers (whatever that means), not only that, if you look on AllMusic Guide to see, in addition to gender, Pop-rock / Folk / Country, in styles that you can pull over, you will find: Neo-Traditional Folk, Jug Band, String Band, American and Contemporary Folk. E quindi? So what?

And then there are twelve songs twelve, for a total of 36 minutes and 50 where Ketch Secor and associates, especially Critter Fuqua and Willie Watson, because the other band members come and go, take us on a frenetic journey time of stringed instruments with some ballads to break the frenzy of operations. After David Rawlings, who produced the first two albums and the aforementioned Don Was who oversaw the third, this time to the onset of ATO Records (the label owned by Dave Matthews) have relied on Ted Hutt, no longer involved with the Gaslight Anthem, and already a veteran of folk music in the broadest sense for her past with Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly. The result is an album where the music of OMCS, stands out crystal clear with streaks of old time and mountain music (they had not even mentioned).

Let the frenzied pace of the initial Carry Me Back To Virginia, where arias tradizonali Irish lead them to the best Pogues, if they were born in the United States, but also vice versa. We do not Grow Tobacco is a beautiful country song with lilting violin first floor, sung by Secor, still on the old traditions are disappearing. Levi is a very beautiful choral ballad old time, the levels of the best things about the nitty gritty of the golden days while Bootlegger's Boy is one of those bluegrass songs played at all speed, if activated the camera's would be disqualified for exceeding the limits. Enough Is not It is a nice valzerone with harmonica and acoustic guitar in evidence, some call dylaniano but again again and especially to the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band that was a teacher in this type of songs, someone said Mr. Bojangles? Bojangles?

Mississippi Saturday Night Live should make havoc, the speed is approximately twice as Bootlegger's where already pulled the damned. Steppin 'Out is a kind of ragtime and style here is really that of the string bands, the Carolina Chocolate Drops, to mention another group of young fellows with high hopes. Genevieve is a ballad class superfine, with harmonies mouth-watering, a small masterpiece that you might expect from a group of this thick, beautiful! Country Gal, as the title , is a song that could have been found in the repertoire of a Hank Williams, complete with a quote from Hey Good Lookin 'in the lyrics. Half Mile Down we have said, are the classic fiddletune Sewanee Mountain Catfight on the other side of the ocean Fairport Convention would define a reel and Ways Of Man, another beautiful ballad to Guy Clark or Townes Van Zandt, with Critter Fuqua Jim Lauderdale and the vocal harmonies and a poignant accordion and piano taking turns to lead the dance, another little beauty of this jewel of American music that responds to Carry Me Back.

Super recommended for those who love the genre, but in general to all. Really nice music, future, past and present!

Bruno Conti

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
kg wrote:
"For the title I did a triple somersault with screwed oxymoron, is so convoluted that I almost did not even realize that I've written."

So true.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
http://www.urbancountrynews.com/old-crow-medicine-show-and-trampled-by-turtles-lead-billboard-bluegrass-albums-chart/

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/nov/18/old-crow-medicine-carry-review