old crow fans Forum Index

<  Off Topic  ~  carolina chocolate drops

Dan
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Rockland County NY
Gumbo,
I respect your opinion. I have always known you to be knowledgeable and fair. but, I've heard about their experiments with "Rap" styles, but I have not actually heard those experiments. I am talking about their Museum version of Traditional Music. I actually think those Rap experiments might constitute an improvement.

I can only speak for myself, But, I think the source of OCMS' greatness is Relevance. They do not play these songs as Museum Pieces. Living things die when put under glass. OCMS would choose to break the Glass, like their lives depended upon it, if anyone chose to place them in the Museum of American Musical history. CCD belongs there, under glass, without oxygen, because they were DOA to begin with, dead things don't need oxygen. Miles and Bob Pratcher don't need Oxygen anymore either, but those field recordings of them all those years ago, will still be breathing, like a tree that falls in the woods, as long as anyone is near enough to hear it.

I really do believe their popularity is based on an archtype.
missyjay6
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 09 Sep 2008 Posts: 453 Location: Scotland
Katie - NPR just uploaded their Mountain Stage set.

Thought you might wanna give it a listen Very Happy
Kitty
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Joe Thompson passes away

So strange.... being reported everywhere but can't find one darn decent report to share. The one from his home town gives a lot of personal details about how he died and who was at his bedside.... just seemed odd to post that one. Hopefully something will come out better with why he was so well known and how the music community has lost someone very special indeed.[/url]

News and Observer Music Blog

Last edited by Kitty on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
bopanic
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
saw where the carolina chocolate drops will be supporting dave matthews band on some dates for their summer tour.
Kitty
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
More coming out and being referenced now.... this is from 2007 I think

http://www.ourstate.com/a-good-old-time/
GumboStu
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
Seeing the chocolate drops tonight (finally)

heres an interview with Dom in No Depression.

http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/interview-an-in-depth-discussion-with-dom-flemons-of-carolina

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 282 Location: England
Saw them in London last night. Was a joy to see them perform, as always.

Here's some video of the singing Leaving Eden - Rhiannon sounds so beautiful on this track.

http://youtu.be/zVIEPttGoYY
Chigger
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
Well, I'd like to see a review, folks! Katie did give her impression, what about you, Stu? I haven't got to see CCD in a long while......... Wink

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Chigger. It's now a few days since and the details are a little hazy, but the gist is clear as day. Fab gig, rockin' and full of snazz. We went up town and busked til we'd paid for our tickets, with added buzz of Rhiannon giving us the nod on a walk by. Plus we got a call out from Suz of the David Wax Museum. Excellent support band. Initially I was just impressed but they cut the mustard with their mariachi stylee and messing and teasing floor walk through the crowd (and out the front door to the street). Acoustic harmonies and gospel fervour out in the midst is exactly how to win my heart.
The drops were on form despite this being their first gig off the plane and Rhiannon being (at least) 7 months pregnant. I have always loved their live gigs on archive.org over their CDs and this gig confirmed that for me Riannon is fabulous in person but hasn't been done justice on CD yet. So. They rocked mixing up new songs and old favourites. Leaving Eden made sense, and Country Gal had that bittersweet edge that i hadn't heard before. Dom did Jimmie Rodgers' My Little Lady and nailed it. Hubbie was cool to the point of being iconic. He is now known as "the unsmiling Hubbie .."

Of course I put that down to jet lag. When he got up to sing Hubbie kicked it, but he really had that one song and sat back to play mando the rest of the time. How bout you Katie?? was he gas your night? Did he grin?

Leyla on the other hand was understated but rocked her podium any chance she got. Fine fine addition to the sound, and the fire was with her. Hear me rejoice in the little front tables! So I'm the choir (harmonising) tell me the way it is but gimme another ticket any time soon.

I'm looking at chasing the support band to London .. OK they are Supporting Pokey so I guess that's leverage!! Either way, chigger, i'm thinking you'd be lovin it all the way.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks a bunch, Stu! Sounds like an awesome good time.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 282 Location: England
I can't top that review Stu.

I was entranced by the David Wax Museum - especially when they broke free of the stage and wandered around the theatre. Unfortunately I don't think the accoustics of Shepherd's Bush Empire, nor the seating, did them any favours. It's really not my favourite venue.

CCD just leave me with a huge grin on my face everytime I hear them. I love their energy. Rhiannon had me scared when she was dancing on the stage though - I really thought she might fall off! Hubbie is just a dude. I don't think I did see him crack a smile, but I thought he was just being enigmatic rather than miserable. And cello may be my new favourite sound - I love what Leyla brings to the band.
trtle8819
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 332 Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
I saw the CCDs on Dec. 9th at Track29 in Chattanooga. The Two Man Gentleman Band opened, and they were pretty amazing!! Can't wait to see them live again. Very good show. It's been a while since I've seen the Chocolate Drops, but they continue to be just as impressive as usual. Rhiannon said she is due on Dec. 30th, and she looked about ready any day, and also didn't seem to have quite the energy she usually has (for obvious reasons). She did an awesome No Man's Mama and Country Girl. I love the addition of Leyla! She sang a song in Creole, which was impressive. Also, Rhiannon did a Scottish tune, while Dom played the bass drum for that. They did quite a few songs from Leaving Eden, as well as a few favorites from other albums. Hubby and Dom each did a solo tune or two. They asked for a show of hands for those who were seeing them for the first time and there were a LOT of hands, so, that made me happy. They did Read 'Em John for the encore. Amazing. I brought a newbie along and created a new fan. Yay! It was my first time at the venue, and it was pretty nice. There was plenty of seating available for first come first serve, and over to the side of the room. Good prices on beer, and good background music while we waited for the show to start!! (Carry Me Back, Leevi, and We Don't Grow Tobacco! Also, two Lumineers tunes)
Chigger
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I would love to catch the TMGB sometime, they have the fire. Did they play Fancy Beer? That has become my theme song. Very Happy Wish I'd have known about the show, woulda liked to have seen the bands & caught up with you, Turtle! Glad you enjoyed it!

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 332 Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
I almost posted on here about the show but I figured everyone else is more on top of those kinda things than I am anyway! It would have been nice to see you Chigger, but NYE is coming right up, so we can catch up soon!
Yes, they did play Fancy Beer! Heh. It's a good one, definitely. They did William Howard Taft, Chocolate Milk, Pork Chops, Me, I Get High on Reefer, Panama City Beach, Tikka Masala, Prescription Drugs, I Like to Party With Girls, You Make Me Swoon...and I think that's all.
GumboStu
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
thanks turtle - that bass drum is mad vibration! Can't imagine what it must be like for Rhiannon! Still looking for a chance to see TMGB. This sounds like a great combo.