old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  New album in '14! Already recorded.

bopanic
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
razorsedge wrote:
"Brushy Mountain Conjugal Trailer" stream in full.

http://gardenandgun.com/media/first-listen-brushy-mountain-conjugal-trailer

funny a lot of us thought that one might be called "unshackled" when we first heard it back at the ryman this past december.
bopanic
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
we get some new OCMS music one month from today ladies and gents.
therodge
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Give the whole thing a listen!

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/22/322596225/first-listen-old-crow-medicine-show-remedy?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20140622

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
*Cruel Lucille* Joined: 20 Mar 2008 Posts: 1022 Location: Dunno
So...slickly...produced... she said, trying not to judge.

Damn, though.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, There I was complaining about the lightness of "Brushy Mountain Conjugal Trailer" and the whole thing ends with "The Warden." Good job, Gill.

Kind of dig the bipolar bookending of the prison songs after all.

Some of the production still sounds awfully slick, though. I dunno. I haven't heard most of these live, on the other hand.

Last edited by LucyStag on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:26 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 03 Jan 2013 Posts: 18
My Day is made!

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/22/322596225/first-listen-old-crow-medicine-show-remedy?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20140622CB
therodge
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
Brushy Mountain Conjugal Trailer is reeeed. Them folks coming out of the woods for the shows are gonna get lit on that one, haha

I like how 8 Dogs 8 Banjos starts off like Granny Does Your Dog Bite from Greetings From WaWa

Sweet Amarillo, instant classic. I think it's the hit of the bunch. You can't go wrong with a lil' Dylan collab.

O Cumberland River (named wrong on NPR and Amazon), I hear Alabama's If You're Gonna Play in Texas (You Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band) every time I hear it. Most country radio song of theirs to date, imo. Which isn't a bad thing.

Dearly Departed Friend, goes real well with Levi and Flookie. Good on Ketch for continuing to support the troops through song.

Firewater, liking that steel guitar on it. Good song to hear Crit sing.

Brave Boys, another "Hey Ho" song, haha. This one is older that the Lumineers' one so it's all good.

Doc's Day, can't beat ol' Doc Watson. Good to hear them doing another song for him. Would like to hear this one live with Pour It On, Doc. The jew's harp in the background is pretty funny. Haven't heard anyone put that on a record in awhile, haha

Mean Enough World, pretty good track.

Tennessee Bound, diggin the fiddle, steel, and banjo synchronized leads. No sure about the actual horse galloping sounds, haha

Sh*t Creek, reminds me of Devil Went Down To Georgia a little. Call me a prude but I'm not feeling all the G-- D---'s

Sweet Home, another good Kevin track

The Warden, now we are talking! Battle with Sweet Amarillo for best track on Remedy. Very strong finish.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 925 Location: Stankonia, GA
Just got the pre-order email and am streaming brushy mountain and dearly departed. Dearly departed definitely has "Here come the sun" in there. And, Ketch is surely going to have to schedule a show in Athens for that one I want to see how he modifies the "Georgia lost to Tennessee" line?!?!?!?

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
LucyStag
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I hear all that much "Ho Hey" in "Brave Boys." Is it the production, or did you always hear that, Rodge?

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Listened to the NPR link Rodge provided.

Definitely digging dearly departed and sweet amarillo. also, agreed I like the homage to Wawa in the opening of 8 dogs - that's definitely the party song on the album.

Like Rodge said, Sh*t creek definitely needs some censoring. Gotta watch when our 3-year-old says she wants to hear bluegrass!

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
LucyStag
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
And to think of all the times I wantonly swore here on the Old Crow forum.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 23 Mar 2007 Posts: 658 Location: Spindale, NC
Gill needs more than one song per album. There I said it.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
old-mose-harper wrote:

I'll allow it.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 03 Jan 2013 Posts: 18
old-mose-harper wrote:

Second this motion. Would like to hear more Chance as well. With that said I'm really enjoying the album so far.
therodge
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
LucyStag wrote:
I don't know if I hear all that much "Ho Hey" in "Brave Boys." Is it the production, or did you always hear that, Rodge?

Brave Boys sounds nothing like Lumineers' "Hey Ho" except for the occasional shout of "Hey! Ho!"

It seems that there has been a huge influx of use of "Hey" and "Ho" in popular music, since the release of the Lumineers "Hey Ho," but seeing how Brave Boys came from an old traditional "Old Yeller Dog," it's all good. Ain't no thang if it weren't, either.

I wanted to start this post off with "hey, hoe" but I didn't want to put into question your purity in sake of a play on words, haha

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
Tennessee Bound has some similarities to White House Blues and Get Along Home Cindy. Good stuff!

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 14 Jun 2008 Posts: 900 Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Very True'

But I will say its got that new pop goove style but still has that old boys sound like the old OCMS album. Hey we got to remember its been ten years and music has changed so much since Ketch and Critter panhandled. So personally I would say the last 4 albums have its own identy and I dig this vibe. Def will say need more Gill just agreeing Smile

Jason

(Glad to be back)

therodge wrote:
LucyStag wrote:

Brave Boys sounds nothing like Lumineers' "Hey Ho" except for the occasional shout of "Hey! Ho!"

It seems that there has been a huge influx of use of "Hey" and "Ho" in popular music, since the release of the Lumineers "Hey Ho," but seeing how Brave Boys came from an old traditional "Old Yeller Dog," it's all good. Ain't no thang if it weren't, either.

I wanted to start this post off with "hey, hoe" but I didn't want to put into question your purity in sake of a play on words, haha

LucyStag
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
therodge wrote:
Tennessee Bound has some similarities to White House Blues and Get Along Home Cindy. Good stuff!

This calls for a chorus of Charlies!

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Brushy Mountain Conjugal Trailer - Sweet sound. A good use of the drums here.

8 Dogs 8 Banjos - I thought I recognized that dog! Kind of surprised they recorded this one, but they maintained the live joy on it. (Not sure if they're recording live, or each instrument separately on this album). Really like this one. Not sure if a song based on a Peanuts comic strip needs to include weed, though.

Sweet Amarillo - Good to hear Crit's accordion in there. Nice melody, good lyrics, good sound.

Mean Enough World - The whole song is just one big rant. I would be fine with that (a lot of Dylan is that way - his early protest songs and his Christian period) but this song doesn't come from any compelling perspective. It doesn't have the clever lyricism like a Dylan would. Totally generic.

Dearly Departed Friend - Levi did it better. I do like the lap steel on this though.

Firewater - At this point it's just a nice palate cleanse to hear Critter singing. I like that final section. This one's probably gonna grow on me.

Brave Boys - That be Chance, I believe! I like it.

Doc's Day - Whoa. A jug!! (Who plays that when they do it live?) This is one I could hear Chuck Mead sing. (I'm not hearing the jews harp, Rodge. Must be my headphones).

O Cumberland River - LOVING this one ... until it gets to the chorus. Which is just ... a whole lot of nothing. Wish they would have grafted that sound and those verses on a more deserving chorus.

Tennessee Bound - Nice little tune. I could hear this slowed down some, with some pedal steel, in the style of Hank.

**** Creek - Why the **** would you release this instead of "Creek Don't Rise"????????

Sweet Home - More jug in this one! "Shake-a-leg!!" Haha. Good song. Good arrangement.

The Warden - I have nothing to say. Just contrast this with "Mean Enough World." (or "Ways of Man", for that matter). My goodness, this is how you do it.

It fits in well with their other albums. Some really good stuff, some dross. I'll be interested to see song-writing credits on each song. Agreed with above, more Gill.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 01 Nov 2010 Posts: 216 Location: Carter County TN
After spending the better part of an entire day listening to this album off and on,mostly on, as a whole I think it's pretty darn good. Sums up where they are as a band. Nice to hear them refer to the boone days in Doc's Days. The warden I'm pretty sure I heard pre-Carry Me Back sang by a gentleman who had a new solo album now. I like it tho. J think Gill's vocals are great. Maybe it's my juvenile side coming through but I like Brushy Mtn the best. But I like anything OCMS!!! What do I know?!? Just one guys opinion. There's not one song I thought about skipping all day. One more question, didn't Ketch say that he and Crit wrote "8" while they were the route 11 boys or am I imagining things???? I know I first heard dearly departed and brave boys on the k&c reunion tour. Doesn't mean they weren't wrote before that. Just the first time I beard them.

Thanks to Rodge for posting the link. Been a great day listening to some new OCMS.

Lord knows it had to end
But it didn't have to end this way.
spgass
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 24 Dec 2008 Posts: 30
Thanks for posting the npr link... just checking it out. I really like Sweet Home - a Kevin Hayes vocal always puts a smile on my face.

Also today, I listened to OCMS live on Nashville radio lightning100. I really liked the harmonies they did on the live show of The Warden - sounded reminiscent of Flatt and Scruggs & The Foggy Mtn Boys.

gwrap
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote
Got mine in the mail yesterday. I've been listening to the npr stream at work, so I queued it up in my wife's car, so she'll have a jamming surprise when she cranks up the car.

I'm beginning to think this album is going to be pretty big. I think this might get OCMS out of that "the guys that sing Wagon Wheel" to being "Old Crow, period."

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
therodge
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
Saw em at the album release show at Grimey's last night. Place was packed. All the songs sounded even better live. Warden especially. Also, the Sheet Crick > Wheeling Breakdown medley was fire. Still hate all the GD'n but sans that, it was fire. Speaking of, hearing Crit sing Firewater live was really great. Johnny "Corndawg" Fritz was standing right next to me in Grimey's watching and didn't say much the whole night except during Firewater said, "Those are great lyrics."

Also, I didn't realize Dearly Departed Friend was a part 2 to Levi. Ketch said he invited Levi's family to a show and ALL his family came, and they gave him a .22 shell casing from Levi's 21 gun salute from his funeral. Ketch wrote Dearly Departed Friend very soon after that.

They played 8 or so songs. I didn't keep notes but here is what I remember.

O Cumberland River
8 Dogs 8 Banjos
Sweet Amarillo
Dearly Departed Friend
Shit Creek > Wheeling Breakdown
Firewater
Brave Boys
The Warden
Sweet Home

They said the LP will be out next week

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 160 Location: Gladewater, TX
I was trying to figure out who is singing lead on each song. Is this right?

1. Brushy Mountain Conjugal Trailer - Ketch
2. 8 Dogs 8 Banjos - Critter?
3. Sweet Amarillo - Ketch
4. Mean Enough World - Ketch
5. Dearly Departed Friend - Ketch
6. Firewater - Chance?
7. Brave Boys - Ketch
8. Doc's Day - Critter
9. O Cumberland River - Ketch
10. Tennessee Bound - Ketch
11. Shit Creek - Ketch
12. Sweet Home - Kevin
13. The Warden - Gill

btw my personal favorites so far are Firewater, Sweet Amarillo, and Dearly Departed Friend. Doc's Day is real good too!

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Firewater is Critter, Brave Boys is shared by Chance and Ketch

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
The whistle knows my name wrote:
Firewater is Critter, Brave Boys is shared by Chance and Ketch

Does that explain why it was a bit of a let-down?

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
You mean you wanted more Chance or...

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
The whistle knows my name wrote:
You mean you wanted more Chance or...

Confused

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/06/album-review-old-crow-medicine-show-remedy/

http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2014/07/01/album-review-old-crow-medicine-show-remedy/91433/

www.offthetracks.co.nz/old-crow-medicine-show-remedy/

http://www.metacritic.com/music/remedy/old-crow-medicine-show

http://keepitcountrykids.blogspot.com/2014/07/old-crow-medicine-show-remedy-album.html

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
Just decided to pull out the liner notes and lo and behold! lyrics! Nice touch. But, that might make it less exciting around here to decipher lyrics like in the old days. Laughing

Sorry snail
Down in my heart