old crow fans Forum Index

<  Live  ~  Indio, CA - 4/17/10 - *Coachella Festival*

LucyStag
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
*Cruel Lucille* Joined: 20 Mar 2008 Posts: 1022 Location: Dunno
Very Happy

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
I think the main point Ketch was trying to make before the interviewer turned it into something political was that: "I would say the problem with country music is the problem with all music, and a problem of the time. Country music is a populist form. It belongs to the people, but when you blast it at the people and it’s this sweet candy music, then it’s got nothing to do with country. Country people invented country music, but now they have to buy it back. They’ve lost the skills on how to make it. The reinvention of country music is what the Old Crow Medicine Show is up to, and that’s something that needs to be done."

So I'm watching this short film a while ago and it made me think back to this topic and the above statement. I mentioned it over in "Now Watching" and must suggest it again. The storyline of The Accountant is a rather creative and darkly homourous attempt to save a five-generations family farm in Georgia. The main character - "the accountant", played by Ray McKinnon (who was the "preacher" on HBO's Deadwood and was the writer and director of this 35-minute short) - explains the conspiracy against the Southern farmer (and through him of all small American farmers) to the O'Dell brothers:

"Boys, I didn't come here to save the O'Dell brothers from sloppy book-keeping and questionable farming practices. I come here to save a way-a life. See - they're all in it together. [Who is??] Hollywood. Wall Street. Boston Market... [Who's Boston Market?] You'll know soon enough... It's brilliant, actually. [What is???] THEIR PLAN!!! One world, one culture, one corporation - whatever you wanna call it. First they take away the little man's ability to produce his own food. By devising a system where he's got access to easy credit with easy terms. Once they get 'im hooked, they change the rules. Suddenly they want their money and they want it yesterd'y. So the farmer works harder. Plants more crops. Adds more hogs. But then, like magic, the price drops. Supply and demand, they say. He's offered a hundred an acre what's cost 'im two hundred to grow. The greater his yield, the further he goes into debt with them banking corporations 'til he's drowned by it. That's - that's when a farming corporation comes in, takes this fella's land, leaving him no choice but to go to town to work for some manufacturing corporation. Or in retail... But they ain't done with 'im... 'Cause see, boy, this farmer still has his culture - and that scares 'em. His roots - based in independence, even rebelliousness. His countryness, if you will. So what do they do about that? That's where them multi-media corporations step in. They begin to bombard their new "company" man with caricatures and stereotypes of himself. Gomer Pyle, Dukes a-Hazzard, Beverly Hillbillies, Hee-Haw, so on and so forth 'til finally he can't trust his own reality. He don't know what it is no more. He starts acting country instead of being country... Until one day he'll be like a... (dances a jig) a SCOTSMAN! Who puts on his kilt once't a year to celebrate his Scottishness. Until finally this man, this farmer, who once worked on the land and with the land, can be controlled. So he won't question his purpose of makin' rivets or sittin' in front of his computer's screen from nine to five, five days a week for forty years until he gets down-sized or DIES!!!... [So how long's this conspiracy been goin' on?] Long time. Now it's so pervasive... Hell, they've even in-fil-trated the Grand Ole Opry. [You mean the Grand Ole Opry's in on it, too??] You think they'd let ol' Hank Williams in Nashville, Tennessee today? HELL NO, he's too country. Lot better odds if you're a folk singer from Canada. [So where do them people from Boston Market come in?] Let's just say that one day your grandchildren'll be eatin' cornbread that's sweet, drinkin' iced tea that ain't - and they'll think that's a Southern tradition... You see what they done, boys. What is ain't, and what ain't is. They turned it all upside down and y'all didn't even notice. [Is there any way to stop 'em?] Maybe. We can save one little farm at a time. No matter the cost, boys. No matter the cost."

I'll not spoil it by going into the number-crunching antics or the wild plans devised by the accountant to save the O'Dell brothers' farm, or any of the other at-times side-splittingly humourous goings-on in the film. I'll just say that to someone that lives with a nagging fear in the back of his mind about losing the family farm on his watch or at the very least one who hates seeing "progress" in the way of other farms being developed such as myself, I found it to be a totally worthwhile film.

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
Nicely put, friend!

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
That's fascinating, Tucky.

Especially about acting country instead of being it.

I gotta watch that film, one of these days.

And you hold tight to that farm of yours. The world doesn't like people to be self sufficient anymore, I've often thought this.

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
LucyStag wrote:
The world doesn't like people to be self sufficient anymore, I've often thought this.

You're dadgum right. An independant, defiant, self-supportive person who questions what is told to them is a politician's worst nightmare.

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
The Accountant is up next on my Netflix queue. I'm looking forward to it.
I am seeing local dairies selling off cows because it just doesn't pay to milk them these days.
therodge
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
On my list too. Just gotta drop this Townes Van Zandt doc back in the mail... been at my door for weeks. haha

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
Be Here To Love Me is a good one, Rodge. Townes on his porch in the Tennessee hills with his rifle and dog.
greendirtgirl
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 15 May 2010 Posts: 65 Location: John Brown's Dream
This is definitely a film that you will want to own...such good stuff to the core...Don't think I'll ever grow tired of your quotes from it,Tucky...too funny and oh so right on~

We both know there will be no losing the farm on your watch...rather lose your arms and legs... Twisted Evil
LucyStag
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Chigger wrote:
LucyStag wrote:
The world doesn't like people to be self sufficient anymore, I've often thought this.

You're dadgum right. An independant, defiant, self-supportive person who questions what is told to them is a politician's worst nightmare.

And that's a damn good thing to be.

I'm workin on it... Very Happy

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
therodge wrote:

Fweooooo... them old times is da best times, hahaha