old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  brief appearance in _Bluegrass Journey_

frogbotfan
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 16 Jun 2011 Posts: 59 Location: North Carolina
There is a bluegrass documentary of that name.
I don't recommend it because there is too much
advanced, progressive, alt-bluegrass, new-grass
diddling by Chris Thile (and Nickel Creek), which I simply can't and
don't appreciate although I acknowledge that he
is a prodigy.

But OCMS is seen playing informally in the lobby of
the main hotel of the Intntl Bluegrass Festival,
doing "Granny Does Your Dog Bite?"

I don't know why. Except maybe that the makers
of the film weren't really sure what the word
bluegrass means. To me OCMS is bluegrass
influenced, but definitely NOT bluegrass.

fbf
foxontherun
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
*Call Me Foxxxy If'n Ya Nasty* Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Posts: 1079 Location: Lynchburg, VA USA
this is actually what got me into the boys in '04.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
The boys got a lot of feathers ruffled up @ that get-together from what I gather. Laughing

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Chigger wrote:
The boys got a lot of feathers ruffled up @ that get-together from what I gather. Laughing

What? They didn't sing enough about mountain cabins, mother and dad, sweethearts who are far, far away?

Since I don't consider OCMS to be bluegrass--vive la différence!, I'd side with those folks who thought that OCMS was out of place at a bluegrass festival.

fbf
Dan
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Rockland County NY
I don't think it was out of place at all. I am full agreement that they aren't a Bluegrass Band, but they have the instrumentation. David Grisman is wildly accepted in Bluegrass Circles even when the Quartet is really just playing Brazilian Jazz on the Mando and Banjo. Old Crow are a lot closer than that.
I actually first saw Old Crow at The primary subject of that Documentary, The Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival. "Bluegrass Journey's" spent a good portion of the movie on the 2000 storm filled Grey Fox Fest, Old CRow played the 2002 Festival, and I went down to their early set on Saturday with about 200 other people watching, that is about 4% of Grey Fox attendees (Bluegrass fans are rigid, they don't accept much that hasn't recieved Del McCoury's personal blessing) OCMS Blew me away, I Bought Eutaw from them, watched their second set, and found them jamming on the fair Grounds, for about 45 minutes at a time, 4 times that day. I basically spent 1/3rd of the day watching Old Crow frequently from 3 feet away. Best Grey Fox ever. I kept on telling my buddies, " You gotta come with me, these Boys have been playing all day, and they are Fantastic!" But, Bluegrass fans have about as much enthusiasm for non Bluegrass music as most folks have for Terrorists.

Ironically, by 2006 or 2007 you couldn't walk the festival grounds at Grey Fox without tripping over some guitar player singing Wagon Wheel.
therodge
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Dems what ye call Grassholes.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Dan wrote:
I don't think it was out of place at all. I am full agreement that they aren't a Bluegrass Band, but they have the instrumentation. ....

Most bluegrass bands don't use a guitjo (or banjitar), a banjo strung and played like a guitar. Nor do they use a harmonica, which is probably Ketch's best instrument. Bluegrass is not bluegrass with VIRTUOSITY, competitive demonstrations of high levels of musical skill. You don't see that so much in OCMS.

It isn't surprising that bluegrass fans like Wagon Wheel. Bluegrass versions of just about anything can be done, including a lot of the Beatles stuff.

fbf
Makinbacon
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 24 Sep 2008 Posts: 567 Location: Bacon's Castle, Virginia
I dont think that instrumentation nessesarilly 100% seperates a performer from a genre though. Check this shiet Orange Blossom Special.
Chigger
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
Makinbacon wrote:
I dont think that instrumentation nessesarilly 100% seperates a performer from a genre though. Check this shiet Orange Blossom Special.

Ha Ha! Hardly anybody knows what a full time harp player looks like, huh? I will say this- the little dude with the huge harmonica on the right? That's Don Knotts. Laughing

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
I prefer this one. I grew up on these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwzV8_RygG4
Makinbacon
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 24 Sep 2008 Posts: 567 Location: Bacon's Castle, Virginia
yeeeeyhowp!
The whistle knows my name
Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
The documentary is up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUh0xLlmddo, go to 55:55 to see the band.

It's a little snippet but it's cool to see them pre-fame. They played in the lobby on October 18, 2000. Matt Kinman is playing the bones with them, and it's Morgan on bass rather than Ben. They have a little sign out and everything! Definitely worth a look.