old crow fans Forum Index

<  Live  ~  December 30/31 at the Ryman (2017)

The whistle knows my name
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Didn't get the chance to go, but I was hoping to hear some thoughts from those of you who did!

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 01 Nov 2010 Posts: 216 Location: Carter County TN
I did not get to attend either. But I did listen on the AM dial NYE!!! I enjoyed the show. Hate I wasn’t there.

Lord knows it had to end
But it didn't have to end this way.
The whistle knows my name
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Found this review:

https://www.nashvillescene.com/music/spin/article/20987342/old-crow-hustles-rocky-horror-rocks-on-nye

Old Crow’s set was perplexing. On the one hand, frontman Ketch Secor is a great stage performer. As he skidded across the stage on one leg and held his fiddle bow high to emphasize a lyric, Secor embodied the band’s concept of a modern string band whose goal is to entertain listeners and dancers alike. As far as dances go, we also enjoyed multi-instrumentalist Critter Fuqua’s Chuck Berry-style duck walk during another number.  

On the other hand, the performance reminded us of an outtake from Christopher Guest’s 2003 mockumentary about folk music, A Mighty Wind. Secor & Co. played to the rafters, and the band’s approach to America’s storied folk music came off a bit, well, hokey at times — take their overcooked version of Merle Travis’ “Sixteen Tons.” We enjoyed their rendition of their own “Alabama High-Test,” one of their best meditations on the allure of dope and the rigors of the road. They also did a version of Jimmy Webb’s “Wichita Lineman,” a song that is essentially performer-proof, though they didn’t happen to mention Webb as the writer.

The night before, they’d played their most recent record, a reworking of Bob Dylan’s Blonde on Blonde, in its entirety (with a special guest appearance from Margo Price). They nodded to Dylan on New Year’s Eve with four songs: “Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat,” featuring guitjo player Kevin Hayes on vocals, along with “Blowin’ in the Wind,” the now-famous Dylan-Secor tune “Wagon Wheel” and, for an encore, “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35.”