old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  "Volunteer"

The whistle knows my name
Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Here's the link to a Rolling Stone article that includes the track listing and song writing credits for the new album, out 4/20.

If you go to the official Old Crow website, crowmedicine.com, you can hear previews for several of the tracks.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 925 Location: Stankonia, GA
Looking forward to it. Flicker and Shine is definitely going to get things going. I'm going to be traveling some to Nashville soon, so I'm going to try to finagle it to be there for the record release! (If they do one this time at Grimey's)

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
razorsedge
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 16 Nov 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Chicago, Illinois
Looking forward to it! Is 'Flicker and Shine' the first ever Kevin/Ketch co-write? I feel like Kevin always got his goofy song on each album, but is this the first time ever sharing credits on a tune?

gwrap
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
razorsedge wrote:
Looking forward to it! Is 'Flicker and Shine' the first ever Kevin/Ketch co-write? I feel like Kevin always got his goofy song on each album, but is this the first time ever sharing credits on a tune?

I noticed that too. I think so!

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
therodge
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Gwrap, give me a holler if you come this way, brother!

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Any idea of when a pre-order will be out on crowmedicine.com? I figured it would be live as soon as the announce, but none such luck.

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
crazyeyes423
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 01 Nov 2010 Posts: 216 Location: Carter County TN
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8238619/old-crow-medicine-show-volunteer

Here’s a link to Dixie Avenue … nice read too. Enjoy

Lord knows it had to end
But it didn't have to end this way.
gwrap
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
I saw they are going to do Grand Ole Opry on 4/20 and 4/21. So, does that mean they won't do a Grimey's (or somewhere else) cd release party?

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
therodge
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Grimey's usually does their in-stores at 5:30 or 6:00

Grand Ole Opry does shows at 7, I think.

Heck, they might do a midnight thing, like last time. Complete speculation on my part, though.

I've got my ear to the ground but haven't heard a dang thang. I'll def let ya know if I find out anything.

Record Store day is 4/21 which is an all day event at Grimey's with 5 or 6 bands, with WXNA deejay sets in between. It's a great weekend to be in Nashville. Come on up!

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
A couple good articles

Interview with Ketch
https://thebluegrasssituation.com/read/another-ring-in-the-tree-a-conversation-with-ketch-secor

Ketch and Critter play at a retirement home
https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2018/04/14/old-crow-medicine-show-volunteer-nashville/485679002/
This reports they played "I'll Fly Away"...anyone remember the Cookville show in 2001...they wouldn't take "I'll Fly Away" as a request..."We don't know it so good"

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 16 Jan 2006 Posts: 118 Location: Lake Guntersville, AL
That Tennessean story is beautiful.
GumboStu
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
It also says Grimeys at 1pm Wednesday in case you were wondering Wink

Down there at the bottom of the page.

And yeah. Cookeville. Good call, Whistle! Very Happy Very Happy

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
https://www.rollingstone.com/country/features/old-crow-medicine-show-talk-new-album-volunteer-w519226
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
New York Times!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/arts/music/old-crow-medicine-show-volunteer.html

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
That NYT article confirms that Kevin is out. Sad
therodge
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
Dang, they're dropping like flies

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Thanks for finding/sharing those articles! Realized today was the album release and that I needed to come back here and take a gander at what the Murder has been up to! Miss seeing many of you at shows, that is for sure!
crazyeyes423
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Old Hickory... anyone know which/who Virgil Lee the song is about? Is it a fictional character or a tip of the hat to a forgotten legend? History lesson please…

Lord knows it had to end
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I don’t remember which one of these interviews I read this in, but the name came from “Virgil Caine” in The Band’s Night They Drove All Dixie Down

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks whistle. Shoulda known…

Lord knows it had to end
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
https://www.amazon.com/Side-Old-Crow-Medicine-Show/dp/B07CJD261T

Does anyone have Amazon’s music unlimited? They have a playlist where Ketch discusses the roots and inspirations behind a few of the new songs...from the snippets it sounds pretty interesting.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Thought I'd post my review for the new album!

The Great
Look Away - Ketch's ballads are much better on this album. This one is a love letter to the South, one that's evocative and wistful rather than pandering. It hits me in the right way.
"Sign on the cross" is a reference to Dylan's song of the same name
Is buttermilk and honey, like, a thing?
Old Hickory - Nails that Band sound, with some really great lyrics and a fine vocal from Ketch.

The Good
Dixie Avenue
A World Away - One of Ketch's social message songs, which I don't usually enjoy (Is Mean Enough World really still in the setlist?) - but this one works for me. I think the jaunty sound of the song tempers its preachiness, and Old Crow's history of border-crossing, busking and relying on the kindness of strangers gives it some depth
Child of the Mississippi - I think this will be stronger live
The Good Stuff - Solid stuff, Kev
Homecoming Party - Simon and Garfunkel vibes here

The Average
Elzick's Farewell - This has been in their setlists for a long time - it's not my favorite of their stompers
Whirlwind - Nothing too special, but nicely performed and arranged
Shout Mountain Music - All Night Long by way of the Carters. With some Millennial whoops thrown in.
Flicker & Shine - The chorus is just too much cheese for me. There's not a whole lot to this song, and it feels like the 1/2 tempo -> speed up at the end is a desperate attempt to give this thing some dynamics. Probably my least favorite on the record.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Continuing

This is a more consistent album than "Remedy". It doesn't hit the highs Remedy had in Sweet Amarillo, Brushy Mountain and Warden, but I don't think it hits its lows either. As I mentioned above, I do like the ballads here which have been hit-or-miss for me with Ketch in the past. More than any record so far, this feels like a Ketch solo record. He had a hand in writing all but two of the songs, and sings lead in 70% of the songs (not counting the instrumental Elzick).
I get the "cheese" element that some are concerned about but it doesn't bother me too much. What surprises me is that the style that I associate with Old Crow (high-energy, fast-driving fiddle tunes) is where I find this record less-successful. Maybe they're just tired of that style of music?

-Mini-Rant-
I also wish it had more of a group feel. I don't understand what Chance brings to the group - I've watched him in concert and on youtube videos, and he doesn't do anything with the guitar, interesting, ever. Remember that Willie video where he talks about flatpicking? (It's up on youtube but I can't link for some reason) Chance never does that - it's just strumming the six strings up and down, and it's very, very boring. I read an interview with Chance (and I'm paraphrasing) but he said he came in with the intention of not rocking the boat, not being a leader in the band. What's the point? His vocals are okay. I wish we would see more Critter writing on the album too. Especially now that Gil is out. I think Ketch is stretched too thin when he's forced to write everything on the album.
-Rant Over-

I don't want to sound too negative. I think when Ketch hits on something he's really interested in, he can evoke that same mystery and romanticism that the group was chasing back in the day, albeit in a different way. I hear that on "Look Away" and "Old Hickory".

I'll be curious to see where they go next!

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Here is a World Cafe interview with Ketch. Gets a bit tangential but has some interesting nuggets.

He talks about the musical influence for "Flicker & Shine", a fiddle tune called "Billy In The Lowground" he heard from Burnett and Rutherford (Check out the song
here.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 08 Aug 2008 Posts: 126 Location: Worcester, MA
The whistle knows my name wrote:

-Mini-Rant-
I also wish it had more of a group feel. I don't understand what Chance brings to the group - I've watched him in concert and on youtube videos, and he doesn't do anything with the guitar, interesting, ever. Remember that Willie video where he talks about flatpicking? (It's up on youtube but I can't link for some reason) Chance never does that - it's just strumming the six strings up and down, and it's very, very boring. I read an interview with Chance (and I'm paraphrasing) but he said he came in with the intention of not rocking the boat, not being a leader in the band. What's the point? His vocals are okay. I wish we would see more Critter writing on the album too. Especially now that Gil is out. I think Ketch is stretched too thin when he's forced to write everything on the album.
-Rant Over-

I don't want to sound too negative. I think when Ketch hits on something he's really interested in, he can evoke that same mystery and romanticism that the group was chasing back in the day, albeit in a different way. I hear that on "Look Away" and "Old Hickory".

I'll be curious to see where they go next!

I'd definitely echo what you say here, and also say that I just don't find this group as compelling as the "classic lineup." It feels like the "Ketch and Friends" show, and suffers greatly from it. The past few times I've seen them, the show has been great, and they certainly have the energy and tight feel that make for a great live experience. But it's all focused on Ketch, with a couple songs thrown to Critter/Kevin/Gil/whoever else along the way.

One of the things that the band misses is Willie's vocal prowess. Neither Ketch nor Critter have a bad voice, but they don't have a captivating one, either. I've seen Willie solo 3 times since he split with Old Crow, and his voice can command a room. It also gave the band a bit of balance, and meant that he could sing the stuff that really needed emotional weight. Think of "Always Lift Him Up," "We're All In This Thing Together," or (on the flip side) "God's Got It;" it's his voice that really carry those. Ketch's fiddle and harmonica playing, likewise, play to his strengths, and makes for some really rollicking tunes even when he's not singing.

Without having multiple centers to revolve around, the band has mainly become a venue for Ketch's songwriting. And it falls into the same holes most songwriting-based groups do. I saw OCMS with the Lumineers and the Milk Carton Kids back in 2012, which was an unbelievable show. But while the other two groups have some incredible songs, about half of their output just drops like a lead balloon for me. OCMS has started into that territory, with Remedy and Volunteer each having a few great songs and a few (to my ears) stinkers, along with a couple take-it-or-leave-it ones. Don't get me wrong, I'll listen to all three and have seen all of them multiple times live, but there are more than a few songs that give me time to head to the bathroom or get a drink.

I didn't really get into OCMS because of their songwriting, although it helped. I got into them because they were one of the few bands that were playing the music I liked in a way that didn't make it some "old-timey." The fact that they could write some good songs was the cherry on top. And I'm sure more than a few not-so-great originals got dropped to make room for "Minglewood Blues" or "Tear It Down" on some of the early albums.