old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  Music scene in Boone in late '90s/early 00's

The whistle knows my name
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Found a thesis online concerning the Appalachian experimental music scene that has a couple mentions of OCMS, tangentially. Love the idea of Old Crow trying to open for a punk bank. Interesting to me to get a taste of that era.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.464.8760&rep=rep1&type=pdf

"Kevin [Freeman of local Boone punk band The Karloffs] started our interview with an anecdote illustrating more contentious times between Boone's various music scenes. At first, Kevin listed the jam scene as this alternative scene's only competitor. After a moment, he remembered the old-time scene and told his Old Crow Medicine Show story. Jason, of Pink Collar Jobs, had approached him about the old-time string band playing one of the punk shows. Puzzled that “the bluegrass guys” wanted to play a punk show, Kevin ultimately decided that it wouldn't work “because, you know, it was kind of us against them.”"

"Anyone who hangs around Boone long enough will eventually hear the common local saying “If you don’t like the weather, wait an hour and it will change!” The same could be said for the bands, the businesses, the personnel, and the very cultural fabric of this dynamic college town. Although Boone’s tolerance for heavier rock sounds waned somewhat in the early 2000s, BooneFest continued
along with the punk sounds of the Candy Ass Pansy Bitches (who Blindman described as performance punk), Death to Cortez, and Hellvis Presley Overdrive (a dramatic reconfiguration of Karloffs and Pink Collar Jobs members) (J. Doherty, personal communication, October 7, 2010; K. Freeman, personal communication, February 19, 2011). Especially after Old Crow Medicine Show received their big break busking outside of downtown establishment Boone Drug, the ascension of rootsier Boone bands like The Lazy Birds, Acoustic Syndicate, and Snake Oil Medicine Show seemed inevitable and in keeping with a resurgent national interest in “pre-commercial,” pre-World War II sounds and styles (Tate, 2000a). These bands and many other performers of bluegrass, old-time, and other roots music genres continued to successfully perform for and attract large local and regional audiences throughout the decade of the aughts.
Cat Tate wrote about these bands in her end-of-1999 local music scene report for The Paper. She listed Cottonwood Brewery, on Howard Street, as “the most dedicated venue in the high country” and credited manager John Rush for “bringing live acts from across the country to Boone on just about every night of the week” (Tate, 2000a). Rush began booking music in Boone after he arrived, in the late 1990s, and visited Turtle’s (now Hob Nob Café). He couldn’t believe that “there were 20-year-old kids sneaking into the bar to see a bluegrass band … getting pumped about really great music.” In addition to Cottonwood, Rush eventually established a booking monopoly over most of downtown’s major music venues—Rafters, Geno’s and Murphy’s. While Rush covered an impressive spectrum of music, booking everything “from bluegrass and blues to jambands, DJs, break dancers and funk freak shows, many in Boone’s heavier, more experimental rock music scene fell somewhat outside Rush’s network and personal tastes (Brewer, 2008b).
Reporting for The Appalachian, Dan Frazier (2001b) remarked that “over the past few years, Boone has begun to see a steady flow of bands with similar styles of bluegrass, jazz and improvising jams that always perform to a packed crowd.” He wrote that “Rush is sometimes criticized for bringing the same style of music to Boone.” Though Rush said he “only books what receives a good response,” he denied that money completely drove his booking decisions: “I would love to do this as a career, but… I don’t see that happening. …I still cater to the starving artist and my fax machine is bigger than my TV.” He believed that “learning about music is a natural expression of that desire to discover new things” that people are supposed to develop while in college. Despite the limits of Rush’s booking, one cannot deny his instrumental role in shaping Boone’s musical nightlife, especially during the early 2000s.
Boone blogger Elizabeth (2001) found Boone’s music scene during this time “an odd one.” She explained:
There are mostly jam bands, which I don’t even bother with, and a few indie rock bands. Last year was awesome. We had the Candy Ass Pansy Bitches and Why Mama Cries. … But, alas, both bands have broken up and all but a few members have fled Boone."

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
How many towns could boast TWO Medicine Shows!! Laughing

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 23 Mar 2007 Posts: 658 Location: Spindale, NC
I think it was Rhythm and Roots 2005 that Snake Oil Medicine Show performed right before Old Crow Medicine Show...confusing lol.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
That sounds about right.