old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  Working on Johnny Cash songs

The whistle knows my name
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
“I just got a call from Johnny Cash’s son John Carter who has a couple of Johnny’s songs that are unfinished and I’ve been working on those. There’s no rest here in this line of work."

https://posttowire.com/2017/10/03/interview-old-crow-medicine-show/

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I saw that the "Forever Words" compilation is out and Old Crow aren't on it; not sure if they didn't make the cut of if there's another album to come.

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
Follow-up from an interview with Ketch here:

John Carter Cash contacted you a couple of years back with some old Johnny Cash songs. What happened with that project?

I dunno… I’m glad you’re reminding me of it, ’cause I need to call him! It was so amazing! My favorite part about this was that I went to the dump… ‘Cause I get a lot of good stuff at the dump. What I got at the dump one day was a talking telephone, and I mean like the top of the line 1987 talking telephone. So I plugged it in and one day I got a call and it said [robotic voice], “Call from House of Cash.” When the House of Cash called and the talking phone told me, it was almost like a voice of God– if God were a robot in the late ’80s! Yeah, I gotta give John Carter a ring ’cause we really hit it off. I was going through a divorce. I was just heartbroken– and have been for a couple years now. But one of the first signs that I felt of God’s presence and directive in my pain was this call from the House of Cash. I got two kids and I’m sober as a judge, and I can barely walk down to the grocery store ’cause I’m so heartbroken. But when Johnny Cash’s son called me and asked me to rewrite two of Johnny’s songs, it just sewed my heart up with silver thread! I felt like I could do things again. I know that was a blessing from Johnny Cash, who had walked the line that I now needed to walk.