old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  Studio Banjo

The whistle knows my name
Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Pretty good interview with Ketch here

I typed out what I thought was one of the best parts:

KETCH:

"I never really thought I had a great voice. When I was a kid I really wanted to be in a voice choir, that singing in that style would make me the happiest, but I realized I never had that kind of personality in my voice. So I found other singers, and none of them were Elvis either but together we had personality. Now here, I’ve been in a band for going on 22 years now, and I’m the last guy left in the band from when the Volvo station wagon left for the Canadian border. I’m the last dude that can remember picking up that carton of cigarettes on the Indian reservation. So the blend has had to adapt considerably since we first got started, cause we’re still a band with many voices and those voices keep changing. And now my voice is the only one still in it after all these years, and that’s one of the challenges that we face. In being a band, and not a solo guy, it’s not my band. I might be the lead singer and the leader of the band but I’m not the only voice in it and it’s important that it stay that way. Finding other voices, finding that blend…I’m probably gonna spend the rest of the band’s career trying to capture anything even close to the sound of our voices, Critter and Willie and Ketch. That first three records, that blend, that was a money blend. That was as close to CSN as we’re ever gonna get. But who knows? It could get there again. Or the three of us could start singing together again. Or hell, David Crosby’s still around."

That's a radical change from the way I've heard Ketch talk about WW in past interviews since the breakup … there have been times where he even elided his name and you got the sense there was bad blood. Not getting my hopes up, but I'm happy that he's opened the door to collaborating with Willie (and Critter, natch) in the future.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 926 Location: Stankonia, GA
that's big news!

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
jshortultimate
Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:46 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 62 Location: James River Blues
Ketch might be the heart of the band, but Willie was the soul. Would literally pay any price to see Ketch, Willie and Critter again (would also love if Gil and Kevin tagged along).
therodge
Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
I noticed Willie and Ketch were posting on each other's instragram accounts when John Prine died. Who knows