old crow fans Forum Index

<  Off Topic  ~  Energy Dink Drinkers

TN Jim
Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 23 Oct 2007 Posts: 340 Location: Greeneville-East Tn
They just need to use a thicker rubber stopper thing in the lids instead of making it so tight you can't open the mug.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I was gettin a good deal on the longnecks with the plastic lids at 15 bucks a case. Half the time the lids were so tight that i got a blister on my thumb but then every now & then you'd get a loose flat one. We got a couple that were cracked down the side of the neck they had been screwed on so tight. My wife got pissed when she almost cut her lip on one of the very few ones that we got that way & when she called tri-cities to complain they told us they'd have a free case waiting at the nearest store that we frequented. They claimed to be havin trouble with some bad glass but I was impressed with how fast they took care of it.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
Sun-Drop. That's the drink, right there. I think everyone in middle Tennessee has been addicted to it at one point or another! Laughing

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 17 Sep 2008 Posts: 570 Location: Jackson, Miss
Chigger wrote:
Sun-Drop. That's the drink, right there. I think everyone in middle Tennessee has been addicted to it at one point or another! Laughing

yessir, there are a few places in mississippi that they sell it, and if i'm that way i'll grab a few

East and West the Highway Rolls, Lord Have Mercy on My Poor Soul!
pittsyltucky
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Been drinkin' SunDrop my whole life -- waaaaaaaaaay better than Mt. Dew or Mello Yello...

How about Kickapoo Joy Juice??

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's awesome ya'll can get Sundrop in Mississippi & Virginia! Like the slogan says- Available everywhere that matters!

Nope, I've never seen the Kickapoo. What's that like, 'Tucky?

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
yes, please explain kind sir...

pittsyltucky
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
it's a reference to the old-school comic strip Lil' Abner, but it is now actually available in certain places like here

Tastes kinda like Mountain Dew, but just like Sun Drop, it's BETTER...

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Anyone had that Mountain Dew Throwback?!?!?!!!! Best thing going!

...and they need to keep it going!

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I had a Mtn. Dew throwback last week. Tasty!

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
did you get it at a gas station?
or somewhere specific?

pittsyltucky
Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Got it at a Sheetz. Which is a gas station if y'all ain't got them.

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I was going to tell ya'll a while back- I went up to Duluth MN a couple of months ago and found some Sun-Drop in Eau Claire WS! Talk about being suprised! It was a good thing, though- my supply for the trip was running low... Very Happy

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
pittsyltucky wrote:
Got it at a Sheetz. Which is a gas station if y'all ain't got them.

mississippi don't but we do got gas stations, AND SHOES!!! Laughing
I meant to look tonight at the store but didn't this will definatly have to be my drink for work tomorrow, which is in about 7 hours!!!

therodge
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
Mountain Dew Johnson City Gold!

Through the years, Johnson City has been mentioned in books and sung about by musicians like Old Crow Medicine Show and Travis Tritt. But, the city will soon have a new claim to fame for being part of a brand name for PepsiCo’s new product that is expected to make a trial run in local markets next month.

According to Friday’s Beverage Digest newsletter, Pepsi will be testing a new drink — “Mountain Dew Johnson City Gold” — from August through October.

Tim Swecker, unit sales manager for Pepsi Beverages Co. in Johnson City, said he was excited to hear about the drink while attending a meeting in Tampa, Fla., last March.

“I think it’s going to be ... really good,” Swecker said. “We’ve got about a month before it’ll be out in the market, but I’m really excited about it. It’s a great tribute to Johnson City that they think of this as their hometown.”

He said the Mountain Dew product has always been known to test out new flavors, such as Code Red and White Out, and said this new flavor is definitely something new.

“The Johnson City Gold is just a continuation of that,” Swecker said. “It’s got like a malt flavor to it. Mountain Dew with a little bit of malt.”

The test-run of the beverage will begin in August and Swecker said it will be pushed hard in the Tennessee markets, as well as some from out of state.

“Mostly it’ll be in convenience and smaller-format stores, but we probably will have it ... in a lot more outlets than we normally do,” he said.

Beverage Digest said Johnson City Gold will be packaged and sold in 16-ounce cans, as well as in 1-liter and 24-ounce multipacks. Along with the Johnson City market, the soda will also be distributed in Kroger stores in the Midwest, and 7-Eleven stores in Charlotte, N.C., and Denver.

Swecker said the new non-alcoholic malted soda was named for its gold tint and given the city name to symbolize the birthplace of the beverage. He also mentioned that other places have claimed to have a part in the creation of the drink.

“There’s always been some kind of discrepancy, whether it was Marion, Va., Knoxville or Johnson City,” Swecker said.

A 2007 article published in the Johnson City Press explored the creation of Mountain Dew, the brand name and even the highly commercialized formula that was rumored to have ties to the three cities, as well as Lumberton, N.C.

The article mentioned a book by Johnson City native Dick Bridgforth titled “Mountain Dew: The History,” which told how Dick’s father, Bill, is credited with the creation of the formula that many drink today. According to the article, Bridgforth’s formula was first placed into the notable hillbilly Mountain Dew bottle in 1960.

you know, The Avett Brothers are apart of an ad campaign for Cheerwine. I wouldn't have any problem if Old Crow did something for this... BUT! Dr. Enuf would be much much better. I know Dr. Enuf's higher ups... let's get the ball rollin'!

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 01 Nov 2010 Posts: 216 Location: Carter County TN
Here here. Gotta love some Dr. Enuf.

Lord knows it had to end
But it didn't have to end this way.
pittsyltucky
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
I would swear off all other beverages but sweet tea!!!

OCMS and Enuf!!! WIN!

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
*Cruel Lucille* Joined: 20 Mar 2008 Posts: 1022 Location: Dunno
I wrote a poem about Dr. Enuf -- well, it was mentioned. I don't think that one sip really enlightened me as to why y'all obsess, though.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Let's hear it!

One sip?! You gotta drink the whole thang! There is an art to it, too. It's got to be ice cold and drink it fairly quick. Not chug it, but pour it back at a steady pace. Look at the green bottle and the sun shining through the magic bubbles inside, the pour back once again.

They sell them at your local Cracker Barrel Country Store

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
*Cruel Lucille* Joined: 20 Mar 2008 Posts: 1022 Location: Dunno
therodge wrote:
Let's hear it!

One sip?! You gotta drink the whole thang! There is an art to it, too. It's got to be ice cold and drink it fairly quick. Not chug it, but pour it back at a steady pace. Look at the green bottle and the sun shining through the magic bubbles inside, the pour back once again.

They sell them at your local Cracker Barrel Country Store

It was a tale of Charlie Poole, Virginia, Tucky, the Old Crow Wagon, and one swig of Dr. Enuf soda. It was called "Women and Medicine" -- dang if I know what happened to that poem.

Next time I'll buy my own bottle and test this obsession of yours.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
Last time I saw Rodge's car he had a case in the back seat.
pittsyltucky
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Last time I visited Rodge, he only had one in the fridge. Hospitality failure!

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
with a hint of malt??!??! So it is like mountain dew mixed with Schlitz??? Ew!!!!
pittsyltucky
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Make me puke a lil' bit, why don't ya?

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
pittsyltucky wrote:
Last time I visited Rodge, he only had one in the fridge. Hospitality failure!

Haha, my bad Tuck. We drank em all out West. I'm all stocked back up now

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
https://youtu.be/5YqHAs1RdIY?t=2950

Just caught up on Hartland Hootenanny Episode 22, and Ketch talks about Dr. Enuf for several minutes. Not being from the South, I was immediately reminded me of this thread. As a bonus, he talks about why specifically he chose to mention "Johnson City" in Wagon Wheel.

Last edited by The whistle knows my name on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:03 am Reply with quote
I’m gonna have to think on this a minute.

I do love an ice cold Dr. Enuf. It was wild, before the show, Friday night, I met Tucky and Michael at Slow Burn Hot Chicken in East Nashville. They don’t sell drinks, since they are cooking up the good stuff in a shack off to the side of Mini-Mart parking lot. We go over to the Mini-Mart, and low and behold, ice cold Dr. Enuf in the coolers! Only place I’ve seen it for sell in Nashville in forever. (All Cracker Barrels nationwide sell them. Sam & Zoe’s in South Nashville used to have them, a World market at the Farmers Market used to sell them, and a gas station in Antioch used to have them, but those all were at least 5 years ago).

I still buy about 8 six packs whenever I go home to East Tennessee. But anyhow, finding ice cold Dr. Enuf and pairing with the best Nashville Hot Chicken in town, before seeing Old Crow WITH Willie, and the whole experience of pre-game’n with my OldCrowFans.com homies was an experience I thought I’d never get to live again. It was very serendipitous, and the whole day felt like some covid induced hallucination. The whole day. Like that was the biggest dose of Music I’ve had in ages. To be under quarantine for half a year, and with everything that is limited by that, and to step back into the Ryman after being laid off from Opry Entertainment, and hearing live music, let alone Willie being reunited.... I’m still processing it.

Hope Dr. Enuf sponsors his show, but they might have to sponsor my radio show first, Delicious Elixir with DJ Rodge. Enuf is Enough to go around, haha

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
Hey Rodge, awesome! How's 'Tucky doing?

Watching the Ryman show online definitely felt like old times, in quality at least. I can't imagine getting to watch in person. They still got it when they want to.