old crow fans Forum Index

<  Live  ~  Pikeville, KY - 4/20/06 - *Eastern KY Expo*

jprater
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 20 Mar 2006 Posts: 9
The tickets for this show are on sale now, they will be opening for Nickel Creek. This should be a fun show, because its during Hillbilly Days. For those of yall that dont know what hillbilly days is, its this weekend festival in Pikeville thats always wild and lots of fun. Anyone here goin to this show? I can't wait, itll be my first time seeing them.
jahnee
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 19 Nov 2004 Posts: 680 Location: NW Indiana
Hillbilly Days eh?

I think my old neighborhood in Indiana celebrated this 24-7 Very Happy
jprater
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
HaHa yeah man I hear that. My small hometown in southern virginia does as well.
lexsean21
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 23 Oct 2005 Posts: 4
oh man.. I lived near pikeville growin up and let me tell you there is nothing like it in the world. AND its for a good cause - to help the shriners children hospitals. I WILL be at that concert. I am tuggin on a few strings to try and help poss get to meet the guys. Seen them in Newport a few months ago and man it was awesome.

Hope to see you guys there. The arena that they are playing in is a 7,000 seater. Pretty big. Hope its jammed packed.

HILLBILLY DAYS!!!
Buckythecat
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 167 Location: Durant, Oklahoma
Y'all haven't seen hillbillies 'til you have come to the "suburbs" of my part of the Sooner State....tee hee

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The only thing im worried about is that their set might not be that long, since they are opening for Nickel Creek
therodge
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
yea, they probably fired through 9 or 10 songs when they opened for them in ATL. But they did come back and play Cripple Creek with Nickel Creek which was a nice surprise. All I gotta say is, dont let them leave the stage... get a bunch of people to a huge chant of "Old Crow! Old Crow!" going, even when NC is on the stage, haha!

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 09 Mar 2006 Posts: 241 Location: Alabama
therodge wrote:
All I gotta say is, dont let them leave the stage... get a bunch of people to a huge chant of "Old Crow! Old Crow!" going, even when NC is on the stage, haha!

That works...we (by we i mean every fan at the show) got the boys back for about another 45 min. encore at the War Memorial show...That was awesome!!!

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, ill have to try to get that going, lol. I dont know to much about Nickel Creek though. What is their music like? I heard they were more acoustic than bluegrass.
texasgal
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 21 Mar 2006 Posts: 66 Location: Tyler Texas
honestly i dont like Nickel Creek...but that is just me. and about the chanting "Old Crow" at the concert..they will so come back out and keep rockin' it for ya...we kept chanting at the Dallas show (march 1Cool and we got a Double encore...they ended up singin like 30 songs...it was the best!!!

fiddlinfool
Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 31 Dec 2005 Posts: 18 Location: Pennsylvania
nickel creek is really hard to fit into one specific genre. its's kind of progressive bluegrass, or "newgrass". i saw them a couple years ago and they put on a really great show, not as good as old crow, but still lots of fun.
therodge
Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
Ya'll need to stream this recording from 7/30/01 Rocky Grass Bluegrass Festival - Lyons, CO. Say what you will about Chris Thile but gezz.. dude can pick!

(I think you have to play it today because the show changes daily)

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 11 Nov 2005 Posts: 5 Location: Southeast Kentucky
THey only played about 45 minutes, but it was a whirlwind. We tried to get an encore, but as soon as they started to take a bow, a crew came out and started stripping the stage for Nickel Creek. About 1/3 of the audience left after OCMS, including myself. I was a little disapointed for my first show. I really wanted more.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:17 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 26 Jan 2006 Posts: 599 Location: JELLICO TN
45 minutes man that sucks, but at least ya got to see'm, do ya have any idea about the set list?
krazykarl
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 12 Dec 2004 Posts: 516
the first three times i saw em was with gillian and dave and they only played a 45 minute set, but came out to play with gil and dave at the end of the concert...i was wondering if they were going to join nickel creek for a rip snortin version of tell it to me as nickel creek played this song in recent memory.
therodge
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
Yea, you should have stuck around man. OCMS came out and played Cripple Creek with Nickel Creek down in Atlanta a few months ago.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 21 Apr 2006 Posts: 1
OCMS rocked the Expo center last night! They were truely awsome. It was my first time to see them Live and I couldnt have been more impressed. Like most of the other folks there, we came to see OCMS and had no clue who Nickel Creek was and without a doubt, OCMS blew them out of the water. However, I must say that Nickel Creek are some of the Greatest musicians I have listened to live. Even after their performance, I dont think I could listen to them on cd. Also, the folks I talked with didnt really like Nickel Creek because they are to modern for our taste, meaning the Newgrass stuff, hasnt been that popular in East Ky.

Of course the encore was awsome too as OCMS joined Nickel Creek for two more songs. I cant wait until the next show!

Keep Rockin' OCMS style.
krazykarl
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 12 Dec 2004 Posts: 516
what songs did ocms play with nickel creek...

as to your comment that they are the GREATEST musicians to see live i would have to respectfully disagree...i saw them in '01 before they got really big at graves mtn bluegrass fest and though they are all talented their music is whiny and unsatisfying to me...chris sure can pick tho...In my humble opinion nickel creek should open for ocms Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
TakeEmAway
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 9 Location: Lexington, KY
Great show as usual by the boys... Like every else has said they did only play for about 45 minutes but thats what i expected... sensational nonetheless... heres a setlist the best i can remember...

tear it down
cocaine habit
down home
God knows (not sure on the exact title)
virginia creeper
St. James River Blues
heard 'em all (not sure of exact name)
a song kevin sang (not sure of name)
intros (couldn't catch them all, but Ketch was Daniel Boone!)
Wagon Wheel

I think that was it... I took my dad who was really impressed, really liked "heard 'em all." Encore was the best part as the boys came out with nickelcreek and sang "tell it to me" and "cripple Creek" as theRodge said they had done before... All in all, a great evening with great music and many HillBillies!!!! can't wait to catch them again in the near future!

PS there were at least twice as many Old Crow Fans than Nickelcreek which was evident by the applauses and, as I noticed, the merchandice lines for them as well!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:39 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 11 Nov 2005 Posts: 5 Location: Southeast Kentucky
The thing that really agrivated me at the Pike Co. Expo was the "security" just looking for something to do. No dancing, no loud yelling, no looking like you are having too much fun. THis has been a problem at past concerts. They really need to lighten up a little at least or they are gonna lose a lot of business in the new arena.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 160 Location: Gladewater, TX
question: is Hear them all the song that they wrote about themselves and their experiences???

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 26 Jan 2006 Posts: 599 Location: JELLICO TN
You are prolly thinkin of "don't ride that horse" Texas boy