old crow fans Forum Index

<  News  ~  Crow activity

Kitty
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Busy day, busy day!! That is pretty exciting... is this in Pennsylvania?? Sorry for my ignorance....
kg
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
Kitty, New York State. It's a beautiful area there.

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
Do you think Ms. Tedeschi will bring her hubby to play slide?
I would love to see that guy jump in with the boys.
Jumpin' Bean
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 25 Sep 2008 Posts: 1018 Location: Madison, WI
I'd have responded sooner kg, but I just got home. I totally want to go to this... I have been listening to Susan Tedeschi for years. I also love Alejandro Escovido and Mike&Ruthy...

Pete Seeger and Olc Crow are definitely draw enough though!

I have a couple courses that I need to take this summer... if the schedule permits I will be at this festival.

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
lbrod wrote:
Do you think Ms. Tedeschi will bring her hubby to play slide?
I would love to see that guy jump in with the boys.
According to his Web site, his band is in Detroit on the ninth and doesn't need to be in Fargo until the twenty-second. It could plainly work!

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
*Garfunkled* Joined: 22 Jan 2008 Posts: 1524 Location: Hokes Bluff AL.
Jumpin' Bean wrote:
I'd have responded sooner kg, but I just got home. I totally want to go to this... I have been listening to Susan Tedeschi for years. I also love Alejandro Escovido and Mike&Ruthy...

Pete Seeger and Olc Crow are definitely draw enough though!

I have a couple courses that I need to take this summer... if the schedule permits I will be at this festival.

U NO MIKE AND RUTHY??? UNGAR MERENDA? YES! politically i want to smash their heads witha brick. musically i want to marry them both.
Jumpin' Bean
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
indeedinoditsistern wrote:
U NO MIKE AND RUTHY??? UNGAR MERENDA? YES! politically i want to smash their heads witha brick. musically i want to marry them both.

I'm sure they would be happy to marry you. You could help take care of the baby while they play gigs... or play gigs for them while they take care of the baby.

I can only guess at their political views... I'm can be kinda smart once and a while, so I'm sure I'd guess well.

A couple weeks ago I saw Ruthy with Sometymes Why. It was fabulous. They played in a little church for about 50 people. It was quite nice. Mike was there... I was slightly disappointed that he didn't get on stage for one number, but I guess there was plenty of talent up there already.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 17 Sep 2008 Posts: 570 Location: Jackson, Miss
yeah thats pretty cool..
if only i had nothing planned for those dates, and maybe i dont!!!!

East and West the Highway Rolls, Lord Have Mercy on My Poor Soul!
kg
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
Article about Sara:

Watkins returns after Farewell
By Courtney Devores
Special to the Observer
Posted: Wednesday, Mar. 25, 2009

The singer-songwriter-fiddler, backed by brother Sean, opens for John Prine.

Few artists are already kicking off the third decade of their career at age 27, but fiddler/vocalist Sara Watkins started early.

She spent two decades as one-third of acoustic trio Nickel Creek, a group that rose from humble bluegrass beginnings as pre-teens and evolved into genre-shattering innovators by their mid-twenties – a run that culminated with the band's 2006 Farewell For Now tour.

Farewell is not goodbye, though. In fact, her brother Sean (Nickel Creek's guitarist) will accompany her Friday when she opens for John Prine at Ovens Auditorium.

He and Nickel Creek mandolin player Chris Thile are also among the guests on Watkins' self-titled solo debut (out April 7). On it, Watkins continues to explore different genres from torchy, playful western swing (Jimmie Rodgers' “Any Old Time”) to pop-rock (David Garza's “Too Much”) to the aching chamber folk (Jon Brion's “Same Mistake”).

Like former Nickel Creek producer Alison Krauss (who recently turned her collaboration with Robert Plant into Grammy gold), the Americana darling looked to rock royalty for her debut. It was produced by John Paul Jones, the Led Zeppelin bassist whose eclectic credits include albums by Butthole Surfers, New Zealand rockers the Datsuns, and Americana upstart Uncle Earl.

“It wasn't a reaction to (Krauss and Plant's album),” Watkins says of her CD. “It was actually in the works on its own before that.”

Of Jones, who previously toured with in Mutual Admiration Society, she says: “There's a certain musical wisdom that he has, knowing and being confident in what makes music good, whether it's simplicity or particular power or sloppy inarticulate grooviness.”

Watkins is no stranger to famous fans. She first noticed Nickel Creek attracting big-name admirers when she was 12.

“We were playing the children's tent at the Telluride Festival. Somebody got us on the main stage to play for 20 minutes,” she recalls. It wasn't long before the band noticed familiar faces like Bela Fleck and Edgar Myer in the crowd. “It was the first time I remember looking down and thinking ‘the famous people are here.' We played right before John Hartford, and I'm sure they were there to watch (him). But it's a special thing to notice … that you're segueing from (being) an outsider.”

It doesn't get old either.

“We did this little show for the campers at the Rocky Grass Academy a year and half ago. It was at nine in the morning. We were tired and grumbling that we had to play that early,” she recalls. “The Del McCoury Band was working at the academy, too. We saw Ronnie and Robbie McCoury and (fiddler) Jason Carter standing in the corner (watching). It woke us up and gave us a little morning glee.”

Performing for peers and legends is certainly memorable, but it was at the L.A. club Largo where she honed her solo chops – hosting the Watkins Family Hour – and began to stretch stylistically seven years ago.

“It's a pub. … You see a lot of the same regulars and feel like they're your friends. You could play a Dolly Parton song or a Morrissey song or try out songs we wrote that weren't perfect for Nickel Creek,” she says. “I learned to sing with a lot more abandon. With lower stakes, I felt like I could experiment a lot more. Sean feels the same way.”

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
Hmm, I may get to see her again next month when I see Mr. Prine in San Francisco. That would be sweet. Kg, where is the Observer located?
kg
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
lbrod, my apologies; I forgot to put in the link! I think it is a Santa Cruz newspaper. I'll go look and will have the link up in a jiffy.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
lbrod, my apologies; I forgot to put in the link! I think it is a Santa Cruz newspaper. I'll go look and will have the link up in a jiffy.

Edit: Here's a link that gives the link: http://nonesuch.com/journal/charlotte-observer-sara-watkins-explores-different-genres-from-torchy-to-aching-chamber-folk-2009-03-26

And of course it wasn't Santa Cruz. (Big hand slaps the forehead!) That was the Rawlings link I put up earlier.

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Kevin. She will be in D.C. the night I am seeing John Prine at the Warfield.
I wish I was going to be in in Colorado this summer.
John Prine is playing with Levon Helm.
Now that would be a night to remember.
Jumpin' Bean
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Just got my tickets for her DC show Very Happy

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 08 Dec 2008 Posts: 12
go to the cmt website!
the video is in the OCMS artist section

Mostly at the Tennessee Theater in historic downtown Knoxville!
I am in the balcony at 2:29
jason57chevy
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 14 Jun 2008 Posts: 900 Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Me too love it!!! Were famous.

Makinbacon
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 24 Sep 2008 Posts: 567 Location: Bacon's Castle, Virginia
Old Crow Medicine Show

Website header picture changed...now I cant even remember what the old one was. damnit.
pittsyltucky
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
It was the "Ginger Mint" background, them up against the wall in NOLA - Gill looking in the trashcan for... Critter?

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 24 Sep 2008 Posts: 567 Location: Bacon's Castle, Virginia
oh shii... yeah you're right.
Kitty
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Hey Jumpin Bean... better check your photos because I think they just posted one as their header for the site!
Jumpin' Bean
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Naw, not one of mine... that is just a wee bit higher quality than my photos. It is from the Asheville show, the professionals were there. This was our view for that show. I think we were just to the right of the scope of the header picture.

I am quite flattered that you thought it coulda been mine though... thank you!

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Jumpin' Bean wrote:
It is from the Asheville show

check out the big brain on bean

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 09 Feb 2006 Posts: 1
so what is the real story on critter?
kg
Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
eric525 wrote:
so what is the real story on critter?
http://www.oldcrowfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3706

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 15 Mar 2010 Posts: 1 Location: Raleigh NC
I must confess that I have been lurking for months, but since I didn't see this information posted anywhere, wanted to make sure you NC fans don't miss the boys - Saturday October 22, 8 PM half hour show Old Crow Medicine Show on UNC-EX (Time Warner Raleigh channel 173)

bopanic
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
thanks for sharing and welcome to the board. there used to be a lot more activity than there is around here now. but hang in there, we will be back sooner than later... hopefully.
bamajay
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 24 Aug 2009 Posts: 22
Quote:
We are happy to announce that one of the original founding member’s, Critter Fuqua, is back in the band. Critter has written and recorded some of Old Crow’s classic songs, including “Take ‘em Away”, “James River Blues”, “Big Time In The Jungle”, and “New Virginia Creeper”.

Old Crow Medicine Show has decided to part ways with Willie Watson. They wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

The band has recorded a new album for ATO Records which will be released in 2012.

Crying or Very sad

Kitty
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Noticed this morning that there is a new pic on the web site showing the current lineup.... Chance McCoy is holding a guitar so maybe that answers that question.....