Simon
Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 04 Oct 2006 Posts: 508 Location: The Otherside
http://www.myspace.com/geoffstelling

Check Jimmy's dad.
JLSteffen
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 70 Location: Chicago
I've put my collection of about 50 Hackensaw Boys shows plus some related string bands on the Bluegrass Hub ( http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/thebluegrasshub/ ). My username is JLSteffen, and the folder is "old-time music".
Simon
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
can't find that.
JLSteffen
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I've seen people upload shows from me on the Bluegrass Hub, so I know it's working; it's just harder to figure out than BitTorrent or FTP.
Follow the instructions at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/thebluegrasshub to download, install, and configure the Direct Connect client DC++ to connect to the Bluegrass Hub. For help see http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/gettingStarted.html
Then
1. In the DC++ right hand window pane, scroll down to "JLSteffen", and double-click on it.
2. The file list will download (it may take a few minutes) and open in a new tabbed window pane inside DC++, that works just like Windows Explorer.
3. Click on the + in front of JLSteffen in the left window pane, and you should see two folders: "bluegrass", and "old-time music".
4. Click on the + in front of "old-time music", and you should see my Hackensaw Boys folder.
5. Click on the + in front of "Hackensaw Boys", and you should see my Hackensaw Boys shows folders.
6. Right click on a folder and choose Download. It will take many hours to download a complete show.

Last edited by JLSteffen on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Simon
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
And what is it?
photos, music, video, lyrics??
JLSteffen
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Mostly live music recordings; a few videos.
Simon
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Nice!
But annoying to download and make accounts and that..
cuervoviejo
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 27 Sep 2006 Posts: 104 Location: Virginia
Hackensaws at Starr Hill in C-ville, VA on 31 March. Very Happy
pittsyltucky
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
And this Saturday night, Feb 3 at Jewish Mother in Virginny Beach... Apparently both Libby and meself will be there -- come on out, VA Crowheads... The venue is SMALL.
Libby
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
*Queen Crow* Joined: 11 Jan 2006 Posts: 299 Location: London, England
This is great. I saw the Hackensaws at Starr Hill back in November and it was fantastic! The hometown crowd really went wild for them.
Simon
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
I want to come too.
yah, I have to quit my job fast!
therodge
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
How many are going to the Asheville show? I'm thinking I may ask for that following Monday so I can stay in the mountains to hear that good mountain music.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
Probably me. I'm having my arm twisted by my roommate.

She's going to be in Raleigh Saturday night to see Scott H. Biram, I will be in Bristol for OCMS, and she wants to meet in Asheville for the Hackensaw Boys on Sunday. She and I will share the drive back to Williamsburg on Sunday night, and her boyfriend will drive back on his own (he doesn't have a paper due at 3 on Monday!).

This sounds like an insane plan, but I suspect we'll do it.
cuervoviejo
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 27 Sep 2006 Posts: 104 Location: Virginia
You'll be tearin' up the highway, Libby!

Don't know if there are any Cracker fans here, but they will also be at Starr Hill for an unplugged show on March 2nd. They put on a really good show. Have to get on the stick in these parts, as shows seems to sell out quickly; still bummed that I missed the Jeff Tweedy show last night : - (
pittsyltucky
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
alright, chi'dren... The Hackensaw Boys to' it up at the Jewish Mother in Virginia Beach last night - rocked our f-in socks off! Hardcore boogie from start to finish... pittsyltucky ain't danced so hard in a long time! Some pics from the show for you'ns.

for some reason, I seemed to have been a hit with the ladies -- most likely due to the corn liquor I smuggled in...

fellow history geeks - queen crow libby with her w&m compadre... one of these days i'll get the hang of taking self-portraits.

Simon
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Good that Mahlon Hackensaw played again Smile
therodge
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Salvage not there?

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
therodge wrote:
Salvage not there?

hmm :(
Libby
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
No, he wasn't.

Maybe he was sick or something? They sounded awesome though. There was much bashing of instruments to make up for the lack of percussion!
Simon
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I hope that they be all together when they play in Europe.
deencrow
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 02 Sep 2006 Posts: 493 Location: Aberdeen, MD
Im finally gonna make it to a show...Ive been wanting to go to one for a while but every time theres a show somewhat close im workin nights, go figuire. I just printed my tix for the philly show next weekend. Im very eggcited! If i get ballsy i might call out of work and go to the arlington va show that week too but not sure yet.
Simon
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Say Hello for me
jahnee
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 19 Nov 2004 Posts: 680 Location: NW Indiana
I'll be seeing them at Mexicali Blues in NJ in one week!! Cant friggin wait....

Mexicali is the coolest place to see a show. Huge Grateuful Dead paintings and pictures. Really cool bartenders and only 20 mins from the house

I spoke with Ferd last time they were there and we laughed about the neighboring town called Hackensack.
pittsyltucky
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Definately sounds like a cool place... Was going to see the old Hackensaws, but looks like the Crows are going to be back out there at the same time... The choice to me is obvious -- see Hackensaws in your home city or ride hundreds of miles to see Old Crow ??? DUH!
"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose... when he lets a woman hold him in her hands -- you just might find yourself out there on horseback in the dark, just ridin' and runnin' across those desert sands"
BrownEyesBlue
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 10 Aug 2006 Posts: 376
A little story, please bear with me.

After reading this thread over and over everytime somebody would post something new in here, my interest was piqued. So maybe a couple of weeks later, Valentine's Day, after having listened to a few songs on their site, I decide that I'm going to buy a CD(s). I went to three different places in one day and nobody had anything. So immediately after getting home pretty pissed off, I get on Amazon and order all 4 discs. I figure that since I like what I hear that I'll like it all. They got here 8 days later and I've been listening to them since.

I was a bit dissappointed when I put in Love What You Do first. It was slow and not happy and fast. It just did not grab my attention. And I'll be honest and admit that by the time the seventh song finshed, I had to switch discs. I don't know that the word I should use to describe that album is "over-produced", it's just not up to par with the earlier stuff. That is what happens to a lot of bands once they get on a record label though, isn't it?
Whether because of pressure from the themselves to impress the suits so that they'll stay on the roster, or pressure from the suits themselves.

Anyway, Give It Back arrived a few days after the rest because I had to re-order it since it was out of stock...they tell me this 2 whole days later, after my order had already been confirmed. Rolling Eyes I haven't listened to this one much because I've been too sucked into the beauty and wonder of Get Some and Keep It Simple. I do know that the quality is not so good on the sound on some songs. Well, at least one for sure that I remember. But I did read the sleeve and noticed that it said some songs were sent to them from fans who recorded the show. That explains that.

I don't understand why they've had so many players and some have stayed while others have gone. Ferd is my Hackensaw crush, so I hope he's a regular member from now on. Embarassed With the beard and long, long hair. It's always the damn hair. Yummy.
I'm annoyed yet again that this is going to be another band like the Old Crows that I will be lucky to see at the very least once, due to my southern California location. Bah. I know, I know, I need to get my ass to the south.

Lastly, can anyone tell me if this band ever played LA? I mean, have they ever been here (California) to play anything other than a festival type thing? I would love to see this band play the Troubadour (perhaps too small, but who cares). I don't like shows with more than 2, or at the very most, 3 bands on a single bill. It's just not my thing. I like to see a specific band and for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Thanks for reading.
JLSteffen
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The Give It Back CD is my favorite because it was recorded live, and the Hackensaw Boys sound much better live than on a studio recording. I also was disappointed with the Love What You Do CD because it's mostly folk ballads by Shiner, with 3 songs that were on previous CDs, when they've never recorded these tunes that they have played frequently live (I sent this list to the band last year when they mentioned recording a new CD):
Baltimore
Big Bob Billy
Black Canyon
Blue Eyed Girl
Cindy
High Test Corn
Hobo Song
Kelly's Reel
Limousine Lady
Maxwell's Lament
Shenandoah Valley Breakdown
So Here It Goes
Libby
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember California being on the Hackensaw Boys schedule lately, but I've only really been checking religiously for the past 18 months, since I moved to Virginia. The UK is almost as neglected as the west coast! (Admittedly, the Hackensaws have been to the UK, but only since I've been in the States...)

I actually really like Love What You Do, but Keep It Simple was the first Hackensaws' record I bought and it's still my favorite. There is nothing like hearing Dance Around live! I have to admit that the past few times I've seen the Hackensaws and Old Crow I've actually thought the Hackensaws came out better, but it might partly be venues. The Hackensaws are still playing pretty small places and the crowds here in Virginia are just wild for them. The atmosphere is always incredible. They've played a lot of new stuff the past few times I've seen them, and they're meant to have an new album out sometime this spring/summer.

Like you, I love Ferd! None of my friends can understand it, but I definitely think he's the hottest man I've encountered on all my travels in America. He has lovely eyes, and he's such an awesome fiddler.
Simon
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes, they play Europe every year. Like May2006, November2005, August2005, November2004. And some more before that,
Love What You Do sounds different, but it's still very good. I don't know if they do it there but I've seen them doing a show and at the end they shut down all the microphones and play some like that.(um..)
I love what they do.
therodge
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Libby wrote:
Like you, I love Ferd! None of my friends can understand it, but I definitely think he's the hottest man I've encountered on all my travels in America. He has lovely eyes, and he's such an awesome fiddler.

Yea, whadda dreamboat! Laughing

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Libby wrote:
I have to admit that the past few times I've seen the Hackensaws and Old Crow I've actually thought the Hackensaws came out better, but it might partly be venues.

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!