old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  Big Iron World

Libby
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
*Queen Crow* Joined: 11 Jan 2006 Posts: 299 Location: London, England
Old Crow's New Album Set for Release in August

The young acoustic band Old Crow Medicine Show will release a new album, Big Iron World, on Aug. 29 on Nettwerk Records. David Rawlings produced the album. He is best known for his work with singer-songwriter Gillian Welch, who plays drums on four of Old Crow's new tracks. Members of the band and Rawlings contributed most of the songs, though they also cover Woody Guthrie's "Union Maid" and the Rolling Stones' "Down Home Girl." The band's previous album, 2004's O.C.M.S., sold more than 110,000 copies.

http://www.cmt.com/artists/news/1534434/06152006/old_crow_medicine_show.jhtml
therodge
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Here's another write up about the new album from http://www.nettwerk.com/artistpage.jsp?artist_id=1002&mode=bio

BIG IRON WORLD

Traveling through this Big Iron World can ask a lot of you. The soot and grit, the grime and dust of decay, the dark wilderness of the deep hollers, the basements of factories, the long lightless hallways and corridors and tunnels, the highways, the pumping oil wells and spinning turbines, the sound of hammers striking steel, all of it blasting at once, all of it ready to beat you down and into shape. It takes a certain alchemy, like ore into gold, water into wine, to turn the incessant noise into music that rises above, throwing light on it all – tunes like torches to carry into the darkness.

Big Iron World, produced by David Rawlings, is the sophomore collection of songs by Old Crow Medicine Show, who once again dive headlong into the musical past and return with a few time-tested themes for the present. These themes spring from the hardest hitting notes of America’s music vernacular, tapped from sources deep in the ground but refined and redefined by fresh new voices. Work Songs, Play Songs, Blues Songs, Drug Songs, Protest Songs, Killin’ Songs, Love Songs, and more than a few songs about Spiritual Renewal: tunes like tungsten to scorch the night.

Willie Watson’s voice sears across the album like a revelation. From the spooky, slow drag of “Don’t Ride That Horse” to the lashing urgency of “God’s Got It” Watson moans and coos, delivering with the kind of intensity that makes you wonder how a boy brought up in the bleak conformity of the Big Iron World could learn to sing with the voice of an American Original. When he sings, “Every time you move like that, girl, I got to go to Sunday Mass” one can feel it drip with sinful pleasure, at once reverential and seductive.

Old Crow channels the voices of the past, bring them fiercely into the present. In “James River Blues,” the boatman is rendered obsolete by the railroads. Critter Fuqua laments, “they don’t need us anymore, hauling freight from shore to shore, that Big Iron hauls much more than we ever could before.” In the beguiling “Bobcat Tracks,” the same voice implores, “Tell me, Mr. Bobcat, where is it that you go?” Throughout, the listener has the sense that these are the songs of men struggling to get their due, songs forged by the flames of conviction, sung not because they should be but because they must be.

“I can hear the flowers growing in the rubble of the towers,” sings Ketch Secor, who rounds out the voices on Big Iron World. In “I Hear Them All,” he evokes Dylan’s “Chimes of Freedom,” incanting the voices of a troubled world with quavering innocence. But this innocence is laced with grit and charged with working class sneer. “Oh you can’t scare me, I’m sticking to the Union.” More like sticking it to the union.

All this pulses with the stabbing beat that only OCMS can deliver. The firebrand bass slap of Morgan Jahnig, the “put a little mustard on it” rake of Kevin Hayes’ guitjo, the drilling banjo fever of Critter Fuqua, the hell-bent fiddling of Ketch Secor, the red hot attack of Willie Watson guitar, the gunfire crack of Gillian Welch’s drums, all expertly harnessed and finely tuned by the precise ear of producer David Rawlings.

Crank it up, dial it in, pour it on. Welcome to the Big Iron World.

OLD CROW MEDICINE SHOW
BIG IRON WORLD
AUGUST 29, 2006

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 28 May 2006 Posts: 17 Location: Gainesville, FL
That was very well written. The last line caught my eye though and I read it twice. It seems the new album will feature drums. That should be interesting, I doubt they will be too much of a factor though.
mhmaudling
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 02 Nov 2004 Posts: 85 Location: Greater London, Great Britain
The first album has drums (played by Gillian Welch) on a few tracks - but they aren't very noticeable there.
grateful
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 27 Oct 2005 Posts: 473 Location: Sarnia, Ontario Canada
Great reading, thanks for the post Rodge. I can't wait.
Thanks to you too Libby
CaptainSparrow
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 25 Jun 2006 Posts: 6
I'm really psyched for this album.
jrich
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 21 Jul 2004 Posts: 590 Location: CA
Do you think it's going to be sold at Target because that would make my life a lot easier!

Jamie