old crow fans Forum Index

<  Lyrics / Chords  ~  Big Sciota

cincitrashgrass
Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 02 Jul 2007 Posts: 15 Location: Cincinnati, OH
Check out my buddies playing Big Sciota on guitar and dobro, They dont sing but the dobro is amazing on this song. Enjoy and let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNhmckMNgDg

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143

Last edited by The whistle knows my name on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:07 pm; edited 3 times in total

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
The above tab is the intro of the Troubles Up And Down the Road version of Big Sciota. I didn't include the double stops after the first measure or so, but they're present in much of the intro.

I found the info below here.

I was hoping to convert the abc notation into standard notation, but I wasn't able to figure out how to do it. If anyone knows how that would be great!

BIG SCIOTY/SCIOTA, THE. Old‑Time, Breakdown. USA, West Virginia. G Major. Standard tuning. AABB. A popular tune in the old‑time revival repertoire. It is named for the Scioto/Sciota (pronunciations vary) River, which flows through Ohio and empties into the Ohio River. The source for most of the versions, Marlinton, West Virginia, fiddler Burl Hammons, evidently played different versions of the tune (or perhaps it was a tune in evolution), for recordings of his playing by different collectors reveal variations of the melody. These different versions have influenced different revival bands ‑‑ contrast, for example, the Red Clay Rambler's version (learned from a 1970 field recording of Hammons by Malcolm Owen, Blanton Owen and Bert Levy) with versions based on the Alan Jabbour‑collected recording of Burl which appears on the Library of Congress recording "The Hammons Family." Alan Jabbour says Burl simply irregularly repeated phrases within the tune, “making it wonderfully crooked. In my memory, he adds repeated phrases not just in the second (low) strain but in the first (high) as well. In both cases the candidate for possible repetition is the third phrase.” (Fiddle-L 12/06/04). See John Salyer’s “Kentucky Winder” for a Magoffin County, Ky., variant of “Big Sciota.” Sources for notated versions: Burl Hammonds (Marlinton, West Virginia) via the group Ship in the Clouds (Indiana) [Brody]; Zenith String Band (Connecticut) [Carlin]; Bill Christopherson & Tom Phillips [Phillips]. Brody (Fiddler’s Fakebook), 1983; pg. 41. Johnson (Kitchen Musician No. 2: Old-Timey Fiddle Tunes), 1982 (revised 1988, 2003); pg. 8. Phillips (Traditional American Fiddle Tunes, vol. 1), 1994; pg. 24. Bay 209, "The Gypsy Gyppo String Band" (1977. Learned from Burl Hammons via Jenny Cleland {of the Highwoods Stringband}). Carryon Records 005, "The Renegades" (1993). Flying Fish, Red Clay Ramblers ‑ "Stolen Love" (1975. Collected from Burl Hammons in 1970). Folkways 31062, Ship in the Clouds ‑ "Old Time Instrumental Music" (1978). Green Linnet, "Pigtown Fling." Reed Island Ramblers - “Wolves in the Wood” (1997). Jim Martin Productions JMP201, Gerry Milnes (et al) – “Gandydancer.” Rounder 0018, Burl Hammonds ‑ "Shaking Down the Acorns." Rounder 0132, Bob Carlin ‑ "Fiddle Tunes for the Clawhammer Banjo" (1979). Rounder 1504/05, “The Hammons Family.” Wheatland Records, the Henrie Brothers ‑ "Wheatland Festival 1978." Reed Island Ramblers (1996).

See also listing at:

Jane Keefer’s Folk Music Index: An Index to Recorded Sources

X:1

T:Big Scioty

M:4/4

L:1/8

K:G

|Very HappyE|GABG AGED|EDEF G2 ((3D/E/F/|G)ABG AGED|EDEF G2 ({DEF}G2)|

GFGA Bc d2|e3 f e2 d2|BAGB AGEG|E G2 F G2:|

|:z e|gfga gedg|egab a3 e|gfga gedc|Bdef e3 (e|e)fgf edBd|B e2 f e2 (e2|e)fgf edBd|

B e2 f e2 A2|BAGB AGED|D {EF}G2 F G2:|

X:2

T:Big Scioty

M:C|

L:1/8

N:The ‘B’ part is irregular

S:Bruce Molsky, based on Burl Hammon’s version
Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion

K:G

D(E|G)ABG AGEG|A G2 G G2 Ad|BAGB AGEG|A G2 D G2 DE|

GBAd BGAG|B [e3e3] [e2e2]d2|{Bc}BABG AGEG|A G2 G G2 (DE|

G2) BG AGEG|A G2 D G2 Ad|BAGB AGEG|A G2 G G2 DE|(3GAB Ad BGAG|

B [e3e3] [e2e2]d2| {Bc} BABG AGEG|A G2 A G2 D2||g3 g2a ba g2|e a2 b ag e2|

g3 (g e)dBA|B [e3e3] [e2e2] e2|[ee][ee]fg e2 d2|B [e2e2] [ef] [e3e3][ee]|

[ee][ee]fg [e2e2] d2|B [e2e2] [ef] e2 d2|BABG AGEG|A G2 A G2 D2|

g3 g2 a ba g2|e a2 b ag e2|g3 g edBA|B [e3e3] [ef] [e3e3] [ee]|[ee][ee]fg e2 d2|

B [e2e2] [ef] e2 d2|BABG AGEG|A G2 A G2||

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
*Garfunkled* Joined: 22 Jan 2008 Posts: 1524 Location: Hokes Bluff AL.
remember these guys?

well check out the curly haired dudes LATEST ...

and apparently they have an album now.
ruralvoice
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 03 Jul 2006 Posts: 179 Location: Melbourne, FL
indeedinoditsistern wrote:
remember these guys?

well check out the curly haired dudes LATEST ...

and apparently they have an album now.

.....And here is a 2007 clip of young (15 Yr at that time) Joshua Turner singing Wagon Wheel, with credit comments to OCMS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ExewM309SVo

Cheers,
Barry

Last edited by ruralvoice on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
indeedinoditsistern
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
*Garfunkled* Joined: 22 Jan 2008 Posts: 1524 Location: Hokes Bluff AL.
yes, im no stranger to that. they make me cry garfunkly tears.