old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  'Big Iron World' review in Prefix

prefixmag
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 22 Sep 2006 Posts: 1
Thought you guys might like to read this...

http://www.prefixmag.com/reviews/cds/O/Old-Crow-Medicine-Show/Big-Iron-World/2522
foxontherun
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
*Call Me Foxxxy If'n Ya Nasty* Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Posts: 1079 Location: Lynchburg, VA USA
thanks for the post!

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 30 Oct 2005 Posts: 412 Location: SF CA USA
nice review. sweet Elliott Smith mention too.
BrownEyesBlue
Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 10 Aug 2006 Posts: 376
Sorry if I'm being retarded here, but I don't why in every article they make a connection between this band and punk rock. I really don't get it. But I've not been around here very long. Can someone please tell me what's so "punk rock" about this band? Embarassed
cfMC
Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
hmm, hadn't noticed that so I looked again and they say "scraped-knee punk-rock grittiness" which could be making a fashion statement. maybe alluding to their DIY tour ethic background, or possibly implying a no frills stripped down energetic sound. marketing
Dan
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Rockland County NY
Browneyesblue,

I am with you, nothing "Punk" about old Crow ( thank Gwad). Punk has become some sort of strange Buzz word for Pop culture hipsters, used to describe attitude. Which is wierd,because the original "punk" attitude was simply put "F##k 'em all" . So much so that the early punks didn't really bother to learn how to play their instruments.

Punk was originally a reponse to Slickly produced "rock N Roll" 'ready made hits' by the likes of the Eagles. The early Punks liked it when R 'n R was young and was considered a subversive stepchild. You couldn't be subversive playing R&R by the mid 70's. I've heard that the early punks all publically bad mouthed the Rolling Stones as symbol of what they were railing against musically, yet, privately, secretly, they all wanted to be the Stones. The CRows aren't trying to subvert anything, they are pretty much trying to preserve something that always existed outside the main stream of Pop culture to begin with. The punk references are misguided, yes the crows have a lot of attitude, but their attitude is more akin to the Stones then to the Stones resentful stepchildren.

Also It was a favorable review, so I won't tear the critic down - I know there are more original songs on BIW but, weren't original songs like "We're All in this Together", "Take 'em away", " Big Time in The Jungle" , and their significantly rewritten "wagon Wheel" HIGHLIGHTS of OCMS? I always thought they were? I guess this critic didn't ?
BrownEyesBlue
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 10 Aug 2006 Posts: 376
Wow, very informative. That all makes sense - I would've never been able to put all that together to reach those conclusions. Thanks a lot, both cfMC and Dan.
swampjustice
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 09 Aug 2005 Posts: 191 Location: Tennessee
I disagree with y'all about the punk thing. As Dan pointed out, the foundation of punk was a calling to bring rock and roll back to musical and cultural basics, away from seven minute long guitar solos, etc. etc. (it's all there in Spinal Tap). The Ramones, like Old Crow Medicine Show, played short, simple songs. They also made the point that music is for everyone, not just the guys who can play a million miles an hour. Anyone can pick up a guitar tomorrow, learn three chords and start a band. Anyone can pick up a banjo tomorrow, learn three chords, and start a string band. Just because Old Crow sells t-shirts and is on the cover of magazines doesn't mean their songs are impossible to play. Isn't that kind of what Ketch was getting at when he talked about how the fact that a lot of people see their CD player as the place where music comes from instead of their own hands and the guitar or piano in the corner is fucked up? That we let our electronics and record companies decide what we listen to? And I don't think 'punk' is a buzz word for hipsters because hipsters are exclusive, and punk certainly isn't. You can't condemn an idea because of a couple of jerks who claim to subscribe to it. And Old Crow isn't the first string band bring the comparison. The Pine Hill Haints and the Can Kickers and the Hackensaw Boys and a lot of others have been around just as long, and a lot of them openly embrace the fact that they were inspired by punk and movements like D.I.Y. OCMS might not resemble this much anymore--maybe because being smelly doesn't sell like being clean and playing Stones songs. Eh. Even the Ramones had guitar solos in their later songs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr Skjellyfetti
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:25 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 27 Oct 2005 Posts: 93 Location: Boone
Folk the system:
Exploring old-time music's rebirth at the hands of punk rockers
cfMC
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote
a lot of old time punkers have americana roots, and have embraced them directly in later years. e.g. John Doe from X's solo work & sideband, The Knitters. e.g. Frank Black. etc.

there's also no denying that a facet of punk was "the speed" and for sure, a typical reaction from folks who brush against OCMS is "holy shit those guys can play fast"
adelaide
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 15
i belive the references to punk music have to do with the fact that old crow doesn't sound like the old timey artists. even though they play many of the same instruments they play them slightly different, slightly edgier (hence the references to punk). although i have never liked punk i do belive it is the mixture of old timey music with their youthful vigor that makes the music so endearing to us. many people that i have turned on to old crow can't stand listening to doc, the monroe bros, carter fam, meph jug band, etc, etc. the sound is often too "dated". old crow, with their energy and youth take away the "dated" sound.
also, listening to some of old crow's more up-beat tunes a less informative ear might associate the foot-stomping, whirlwind pace to that of punk. i have never been able to sort out the the talent in a punk band. .. often sounds like too much going on, whereas with old timey music i have no problem. maybe other people have that problem. . . perhaps in reverse, and that's why old crow is often likened to punk.
just a thought.