old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  How did you first hear of Old Crow Medicine Show?

How did you FIRST hear of Old Crow Medicine Show?

Music Video  
4%
  [ 6 ]  4%

Radio  
8%
  [ 11 ]  8%

Saw the band Busking on a street corner  
3%
  [ 4 ]  3%

Downloaded a studio album mp3 track  
3%
  [ 4 ]  3%

Heard Bootleg recording of a Live Performance  
3%
  [ 4 ]  3%

Their Affiliation with Gillian Welch/David Rawlings  
6%
  [ 8 ]  6%

Bought studio album "O.C.M.S."  
3%
  [ 4 ]  3%

Word of mouth. A friend told you about them.  
39%
  [ 49 ]  39%

Website  
5%
  [ 7 ]  5%

Saw them in Concert  
22%
  [ 28 ]  22%

Total Votes : 125
jrich
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 21 Jul 2004 Posts: 590 Location: CA
And the Dead's "Dick's Picks" sell wonderfully, and I don't think there's a band that's been recorded more!
Same goes for all those live Phish discs.

Jamie
therodge
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Hey all you lurkers, how bout cha chime in on this one. Hopefully I didn't kill the tread with all that bootleg talk.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 20 Jan 2005 Posts: 3 Location: Johnson City, TN
1. eutaw, ocms live, o.c.m.s.

2.saw them for the first time at the Down Home in Johnson City, then again at Bristol Rhythm and Roots, then 3 shows at the Station Inn, then last night in Bristol, and I'm going (Lord willin' and the creek don't rise) to the Orange Peel in Asheville.

3. Haven't heard any bootlegs, but a friend has a really old one that he says is a demo, but i think it may be Wawa
brodank
Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Guest Joined: 13 Dec 2004 Posts: 1656
i first heard them with my ears....
fiddlinfool
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 31 Dec 2005 Posts: 18 Location: Pennsylvania
1) o.c.m.s., live, and eutaw

2)seen them live twice- gettysburg, pa and sellersville, pa- although if i could i'd quit school and follow them around the country

3)no

i first saw the crows at the gettysburg bluegrass festival in august of 2004. they got three standing ovations and the line at their cd table after the show almost went off the festival grounds. they played right after rhonda vincent who is usually the big star at that festival, but ocms totally stole the show and blew everyone away. it was an incredibly life changing experience for me, it being the first time i had ever heard old-time before.
hoodat!?
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 28 Sep 2005 Posts: 49 Location: breestowl, tn
eutaw, live, and ocms

saw an infomercial about them on the t.v. guide channel, went and bought the ocms album, then...

saw them at the paramount in bristol, rhythm n roots in bristol, and at dollywood (where i got to meet ketch)

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 194 Location: Clifton Park NY
First time I heard of em was when they were booked to play the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival a few years back. Put on a great show there, wish they would come back.

1) OCMS, Live, Eutaw, Wawa, Troubles Up and Down The Road, World Cafe EP

2) Only saw them once that time at Grey Fox, hopefully they make it up into New England during there next tour, as I would probably follow them around for a few shows.

3) Heard a various live tracks, but not complete shows. What I have heard varies greatly for quality.
swampjustice
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 09 Aug 2005 Posts: 191 Location: Tennessee
therodge wrote:
Please also state:

1) Which studio albums you have.
2) How many times you've seen them Live.
3) If you have heard a live recording/bootleg of OCMS. (do NOT paste a link to it or trade on this site!!!)

I first heard of OCMS when I read the Matt Dillinger article in the Oxford American. I didn't hear them until my friend played me a bootleg of the CD release party concert.

1) Live, Eutaw, OCMS, Troubles EP, Wawa
2) Nashville twice, and a Towson show
3) Yes, not nearly enough though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
razorsedge
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 16 Nov 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Chicago, Illinois
I first heard about them when a record store I used to frequent had them up under the new "Folk" section. I gave them a listen and liked them right away. It was between buying that album and Dave Grohl's Probot album and I think I made the right choice that day.
greasy-coat
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:04 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 12 Jul 2005 Posts: 619
1. Live, Eutaw, OCMS, Troubles EP, Wawa
2. 12 shows
3. Yes, would love to hear more!!!

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
1) ALL OF THEM
2) 3
3) YES
edwalk74
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 10 May 2005 Posts: 20 Location: Texas
I own O.C.M.S. and 2 Prarie Home Companion shows I recorded straight from the internet.
I've only seen them one time and it was the best concert I have ever been too. You can view the photos here: http://www.pbase.com/edwalk74/old_crow_medicine_show
I've never traded any music.
Shawn
Androminos
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 23 Mar 2005 Posts: 75 Location: Florence, MA
I first saw the band when they opened up for the Tarbox Ramblers (another great band) at the Iron Horse here in Northampton, MA. I saw stars in my eyes and have been hooked ever since. I've seen them eight times in concert.

I own Eutaw, O.C.M.S., the Live c.d., the 6-song Indi special they put out (I forget the name), and about 20 bootlegs. If they'd re-release Wawa, I'd buy that too but I'm not going to pay $200 on eBay.
oldskoolcrowfan
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 18 Jan 2006 Posts: 4 Location: boone
i first heard of old crow while living in boone, north carolina. a friend of mine was friends with the band and all he talked about was how good they were and so on. i went and saw them around the boone area, and fell in love with their old sound. i think that is what did it for all of us. so i've seen old crow lots of times, the most recent being at freebird live in jacksonville beach last fall. wow what a show!! the boys just keep getting better and better, and the crowd was almost too rowdy! if that's possible!? can't wait til nashville in june. i'm in the process of trying to get a job there.
i own wawa, "original" utaw, OCMS, live, and a bunch of old bootlegs.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote
oldskoolcrowfan wrote:
i own wawa, "original" utaw, OCMS, live, and a bunch of old bootlegs.

yeah...join the club
kevinoakhill
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 03 Apr 2005 Posts: 59 Location: London
I can't believe I haven't got round to replying to any topic along these lines until now...anyway.

First heard them by buying OCMS because it was produced by David Rawlings...this is possibly quite tragic but hey, he can certainly play guitar. Then saw them a few weeks later at Cambridge.

1) OCMS, Live, Eutaw (orig), Wawa, Troubles up and down the road, John Lair's Renfro Valley

2) Erm...not half as many as I should have done, but nevertheless

Cambridge Folk Festival July 2004 (once, on the second stage)
Borderline, London, twice, Nov 2004
Manchester Academy 3, July 2005
Glasgow ABC2, July 2005
Cambridge Folk Festival 2005, (four times, on all three stages plus busking)

So nine in total.

3) I have heard a number of bootlegs, but they are bad for you, kids. I have also heard a large number of Gillian Welch bootlegs, some of which have OCMS on them.
kayakgrl
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 208 Location: IN
I first saw Old Crow this past summer at Bonnaroo. The chick we were camped next to was raving about them so I had to check them out. I'm so glad I did- the show blew me away!! Been lovin' them ever since.

1. Eutaw, OCMS, Live, and Troubles Up and Down the Road
2. 3 shows and waiting for more!!!
3. Yes! And I need more!
oldskoolcrowfan
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 18 Jan 2006 Posts: 4 Location: boone
hey i wanted to touch on the taping policy discussion. the rodge and bluecat are 100% right on their thoughts/opinions on their posts. recording is the only way that the old time music that OCMS has based their art on exist. archiving, recording history! as far as the quality issue is concerned, it's part of seeing a band in concert. bootlegs are recordings of a live show/concert, and capture the feeling/magic of the live performance. of course it doesn't represent the overall live experience, but after the show, you smile and high-five everyone around you and you wish you could relive the moment. well, thank god for the tapers!! some boots sound really good, others, well, a minglewood blues encore that sounds so-so is bettter than nothing at all.. the majority of OCMS/music fans would want nothing more than to pop in the tape or cd of that performance and sit back and experience it once again. smile and dance once more!! this isn't taking away from the record label, all of us still buy all of OCMS' records, hell, we beg and plea for more to be released. we just want anything we can get our hands on. if money is the problem,, we'll buy a live disc of that nights performance, although money shouldnt be an issue. bands like the grateful dead, phish, and countless of others ,who allow taping sections for there fans found a way to resolve the situation. i believe and hope OCMS can do so as well. for a band like old crow who is all about the "old school", there should be plenty of tapers in the audience who have the passion for the music, enough to capture a moment in time, allowed to record and share the music. . one that the next day will not exist. the rodge is so right on saying if it wasn't for bootlegs, there wouldn't be a "wagon wheel" as we know it. that's the most genuis statement made on this website. there has to be a way for ocms and the record label to come to an agreement on this issue! okay, i'll stop my rambling now with one last thing= we make the taping issue such a big deal because we love what old crow medicine show does, just like they(OCMS) love what the amazing musicians did before them!! they influence us and send us off into the night on cloud nine, not caring about a thing except the ol' stories/places that their songs express! we (the fans) just want to relive it one more time!

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 167 Location: Durant, Oklahoma
I first heard them on a radio program on the NPR station from Dallas. The now defunct program was called Lone Star Saturday Night and it came on after Prairie Home Companion, which I have listened to for years ( I told yall I was a dork). The program mainly featured Texas artists, but also other "Alt. Country" artists and they were on there. I don't know if it was "Wagon Wheel" or "Tell it to Me' that I first heard since both songs were regulars on the program.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
buggin
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 26 Jan 2006 Posts: 599 Location: JELLICO TN
1) Eutaw, Wa Wa, Live, OCMS

2) Twice

3) yes

THERODGE got me hooked on'em a few years back. I first saw them at the TN theatre and went down to dickson co and saw them. I like there studio stuff but nothin beats seein'em LIVE
greengrassgal
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 30 Mar 2006 Posts: 5
1.Wawa, Eutaw, renfro valley, O.C.M.S, live, transmission, troubles up and down the road
2. have seen them 3 times
3. have 3 bootlegs

First time I saw them they opened up for Gillian Welch, they were dressed to the nines in their tradional hats and suits, the moment they started playing i was hooked. After that I have seen them in the bar scene which is always a lot more fun and high energy... love em!
cholla76
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 26 Oct 2005 Posts: 133
I really enjoyed reading your post oldskoolcrowfan.. you could not have summed that up any better my friend. thanks for the breakin it down like that. There is nothin wrong with sharing and reliving a live show!
Dartist
Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 13 Nov 2004 Posts: 22 Location: Porter Ranch, CA
I can't vote, because my first encouneter w/OCMS was none of the above! I first heard about them via Esquire magazine, which is a magazine I don't normally read, but an old roommate of mine got it, and they had a photo shoot type article with rising alt-country type artists in it, and so I looked them up on the internet from there. This was like 2 years ago.

1.) OCMS, Live, and Eutaw. (And the new EP on order w/Amazon!)

2.) Once, w/Gillian Welch here in Los Angeles

3.) No, but I have a song or two from earlier, now-unavailable projects like Wawa. I wish they would re-release those.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
angus
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
It was the most interesting cd cover in the store, hell how can you not buy a cd when it has TWO banjo's a double base, geetar and fiddle on the cover. I have been very very impressed.
dereck
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 10 Jun 2006 Posts: 37 Location: Rhode Island
1. OCMS, Live, Eutaw, Troubles up and Down the Road EP, Webcor EP

2. no

3. Yes

my friend liz from N.C. got me into them about a year and a half ago and im still rocking to them everyday since
thanks liz
Rhinosox
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:17 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 18 Jun 2006 Posts: 12 Location: Dickson, Tn.
O.C.M.S. and LIVE
Once
I was finishing up my second sleeve in a tattoo parlor, and my friend who was tattooing me, introduced me to them.This was my first introduction to bluegrass and Ive been hooked ever since.
jojo2525
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 29 Jun 2006 Posts: 7 Location: Blue Mounds, Wisconsin
I too can not reply to the poll, except to say "none of the above"...I first heard OCMS when I found a web site (I've long since forgotten the URL)...it was from a house in the state of Washington where OCMS gave a performance...the house owner had (and may still have) a regular show, in their living room...very small audeince...they post those shows on their web site...OCMS was on and I gave it a listen one day whilst pretending to work...I've been talking them up to my friends ever since...but none of them gave a damn until the OCMS started putting out commercially available recordings...it is my assumption that this show was at the end of the trip across Canada that OCMS did before they started recording in earnest

I love OCMS's energy...and the fact that they just don't give a damn about political correctness

Here's hoping that they never...add a drummer...go electric...or otherwise generally sell out

Joe McNally
fornesto
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 29 Jun 2006 Posts: 3 Location: Monterey, CA
KPIG - Freedom California....Oink all you piggies!

stevens119
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 28 Jul 2006 Posts: 48 Location: Nashville, TN
I have :
Woodsongs
The Webcor Sessions
Live
O.C.M.S.
Troubles Up and Down the Road
World Cafe
The Napster Thing
Greetings from Wawa
Eutaw
Prarie Home Companion

Early 2005 I saw their video on GAC. That was all it took.
I have seen them at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville twice, The Grand Old Opry in Nashville, and in Loudon,TN at the Tate and Lyle performing arts center.
ntufnel
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 27 Jun 2006 Posts: 19 Location: Ypsilanti, MI
1. I own: OCMS, Down Home EP, Eutaw
2. I've only seen them once: Bluegrass Nights at Ryman June 06. Amazing show!
3. A friend of mine had a show on a local country station. The boys came in and played a few songs and did an interview. He made copies and gave them to his friends. This is also how I first heard of OCMS.