old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  How did you first hear of Old Crow Medicine Show?

How did you FIRST hear of Old Crow Medicine Show?

Music Video  
4%
  [ 6 ]  4%

Radio  
8%
  [ 11 ]  8%

Saw the band Busking on a street corner  
3%
  [ 4 ]  3%

Downloaded a studio album mp3 track  
3%
  [ 4 ]  3%

Heard Bootleg recording of a Live Performance  
3%
  [ 4 ]  3%

Their Affiliation with Gillian Welch/David Rawlings  
6%
  [ 8 ]  6%

Bought studio album "O.C.M.S."  
3%
  [ 4 ]  3%

Word of mouth. A friend told you about them.  
39%
  [ 49 ]  39%

Website  
5%
  [ 7 ]  5%

Saw them in Concert  
22%
  [ 28 ]  22%

Total Votes : 125
Cali_OCMS_Fan
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 01 Feb 2008 Posts: 56 Location: Stockton, CA
Saw them on Austin City Limits last year.....been a crowcaine addict ever since then.

Twisted Evil
jason57chevy
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 14 Jun 2008 Posts: 900 Location: Woodstock, Georgia
ACL was a great show. I have it Tivo'ed and I watch it often. It is about time for a OCMS Live DVD!!!....

bopanic
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
we've been "suggesting" a live dvd for a while now... maybe this coming summer? who knows. untill we see them running vid at a gig, i dont think we will get a vid/dvd of anything that has yet to be recorded. nothing that i know of has been professional filmed accept a couple of prarie home companions, acl, and a few music vids. but maybe they have something up there sleeve. hell maybe they will take footage of one of the two nights at the ryman or better yet a "best of" the ryman from this coming year...

come on boys thats a hell of an idea! Wink
missyjay6
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 09 Sep 2008 Posts: 453 Location: Scotland
i love reading how everyone got into the Crows.

Oh, and a live dvd would be great, especially as we don't get to see them that often over here.

I came across them by chance. I like the blues and somehow ended up stumbling upon them online whilst looking up some blues man (can't remember who I was actually looking for). I saw that they were doing Lonesome Road Blues on Eutaw and ordered the cd, thinking it was the song Big Bill Broonzy does, but then realised that it wasn't. I absolutely loved the cd though and have been hooked ever since. When OCMS came out i also loved the fact that they had used bits of Henry Thomas' Arkansas in Trials and Troubles.

1) Eutaw, O.C.M.S, Big Iron World, Renfro Valley, Down Home Girl ep, Live, dowload only: Caroline EP and World Cafe.

2) Unfortunately only twice.

3) No, apart from the official cd and stuff that's on youtube.
kg
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
I think it would be great to have a new video of any kind. I'd be most happy with footage from the recording studio. I'd like to see how they get it done.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 19 Apr 2007 Posts: 10 Location: Atlanta
1) Eutaw, OCMS, Live, Big Iron World
2) 4
3) no

First saw the boys on Conan O'Brien, promoting their first album. Fell in love right then. Got the album the next day. Started looking for shows. Thanks, Conan!

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Oct 2007 Posts: 749 Location: on the road
I can't believe how many of us first got hooked by that performance. Just imagine, if we hadn't caught it then...I know I would never have known about them...that kind of music never even crossed my mind. I was (and still am) a Sublime/Green Day/punk fan...old timey music was not even a thought. I was pretty anti-roots music then. Not that I had a reason to be, I just was close-minded, but they boys changed all that in one song. I'm still not a fan of roots music in general...there is just something about them boys. It would be interesting to see how many people went online and searched them after that show. I was on a mission after that airing to find out who they were, what they were about...and it's only gotten worse since then! I'd say I'm a full-blown crowkehead now. Laughing

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 25 Sep 2008 Posts: 1018 Location: Madison, WI
1) Wawa, Eutaw, Live, OCMS, Big Iron World, Tennessee Pusher
2) Only 3
3) No

I was first introduced to the boys when I used to sit and listen to the Kitchen Syncopators busk the Saturday Market in Eugene. Gill (then called Frank Lemon) had a list of band he recommended.
gvillebrowny
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 16 Jan 2006 Posts: 118 Location: Lake Guntersville, AL
1). WaWa, Eutaw, Troubles, Live, O.C.M.S., World Cafe EP, Down Home Girl, Big Iron World, Caroline, Tennessee Pusher
2). 3
3). I have all of their Praire Home Companion performances

It was at a friend's birthday party, and we all decided to break out the instruments and a song book. After playing through that, a buddy of mine told me to follow his lead on guitar and we played, "Were All in this Together" After the party, he gave me a copy of O.C.M.S. Been hooked ever since.
John Hurt
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Posts: 6 Location: Ohio
I just mentioned on my new arrivals post, that I first caught ‘em on a PBS documentary about American roots music. This was a four part (8 hour) exploration of so much great old (and “new”) music (narrated by Kris Kristofferson). Uncle Dave Macon, Bascom Lunsford, Carter Family, Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, Merle Travis, Woody Guthrie, Lead Belly, Pete Seeger, Hank Sr., Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs The Staples Singers, Doc Watson, Ricky Scaggs, Keb Mo, Bela Fleck, Marc & Ann Savoy, Gillian Welch & David Rawlings and of course OCMS where all included among so many others.

All “their” studio albums and the “Songs of America” with Woody’s “Deportee”.

Seen ‘em 3 times live.

Have not heard any bootlegs.
Cali_OCMS_Fan
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 01 Feb 2008 Posts: 56 Location: Stockton, CA
1. Eutaw, OCMS, Big Iron World, Tennessee Pusher
2. Not yet. Will be seeing them this november at The Fillmore in SF.
3. Yes
lbrod
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
I have thanked GAC & Kylie Harris for my intro.
OCMS, Live, BIW, TP, & EPs
Just once so far. Two more next month in SF
No, dammit.
Jada
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 07 Jul 2008 Posts: 198 Location: Southern Illinois
1. Eutah, Live, O.C.M.S. Big Iron World, Tennessee Pusher
2. 8 days and counting for my first show in Louisville KY
3. Nope....would love to get my hands on some though!

First heard Wagon Wheel on the radio, one lone ranger D.J. plays it on Saturday mornings....fell in love, but honestly that song quickly fell down the list of favorites when I started hearing the rest of their work. Hook line and sinker and head over heels.

My kids are 4 and 2 and already try playing their guitars along to OCMS. Screw Barney and The Backyardigans, my kids dig bluegrass Wink

http://www.ramblingruralrecollections.blogspot.com/