old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  Critter

motiger
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 26 Aug 2005 Posts: 80 Location: Missouri
Can anyone tell me what the dates were that Critter was absent from OCMS?
therodge
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
circa late september 2003 to .... crap, I can't remember the first show he was back.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 06 Dec 2006 Posts: 181 Location: Morristown, TN
When did they do the video for Tell It to Me at the Station Inn? I know both Gil and Critter are in it, but I'm not sure if that was the same time he came back or not.
therodge
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
he wasnt officially back yet... same for the first Conan performance. But the Tell It To Me video was shot Dec. 2-4, 2004

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The first time I saw them was in August 2005 and both Gil and Critter were there. But I don't know how long Crit had been back or been gone or anything like that... because I'd never heard of them before I saw them. Boy was that a night! I became an instant fan (note my join date on the forum... August 2005!) Smile
kg
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
One hears so little from Critter. Here's something he wrote for Jim Waive & the Young Divorcees. He writes in a compelling way, doesn't he?

By Critter Fuqua of OCMS

Country music is about family.
Country music is about love, loss and heartbreak.
Country music is about biblically proportioned lyrics rooted in the search for self.
Or the search for cold beer and a dancing partner.

With Jim Waive at the helm, these criteria are met with complete satisfaction as he steers The Young Divorcees towards country music perfection.

Waive combines his no-pick, percussive style on guitar with some of the most compelling lyrics in honky tonk. His smoky voice delivers songs laden with fervor and heart. You can catch a glimpse of his Tidewater roots in the fire and brimstone melodies, and you can feel his love overflow for his Divorcees: Charlie Bell, Jen Fleisher and Anna Matijasic.

When Bell is not on pedal steel he's on bottleneck guitar and dobro, switching effortlessly amongst the fleet as needed. Born to a hard working Orange County, Virginia family, Bell has played music most of his life, including a long stint as a member of The Hackensaw Boys. An old-school, son-of-the-south, his ghostly notes waft from the pedal steel with a country confidence. His harmonies are traditional and tempting. His solos walk through the wall of rhythm put up by Waive and Fleisher.

Classically trained on piano, the Floridian Fleisher plays the bullfiddle with a passion. She is the Superball on stage. Her grooves are infectious. She improvises through Bell's country gold, then supports Matijasic's refined and eclectic violin.

A native Virginian and classically trained as well, Matijasic plays "country violin." She accents Bell's lines with gypsy melodies burnished by a cowgirl's hand. Reminiscent of the fiddle/violin playing on Bob Dylan's "Desire", she is a velvet scimitar, slicing apart your conviction that country music fiddlers must have a "Fire on the Mountain" complex.

This band is a true country band that supports one another like a family should (without the dysfunction). Their beauty is subtle and very real. They are good musicians, all four. They carry on the American tradition of honky tonkin', beer drinkin', heart breakin' music with a down-home authenticity.

They are a country band to be seen and enjoyed, to be heard and adored.

For more on Jim Waive & the Young Divorcees, head to our Myspace page: www.myspace.com/jimwaive
motiger
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
kg, your article searching skills are really unsurpassed. It's amazing. Thanks for posting!
kg
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Always my pleasure. I just wish I could answer your question about Critter's sabbatical.
kg
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
This blog entry suggests that Critter wasn't back playing until after September 2004. There must be an interesting story here. Ten or twenty years from now perhaps we'll read all about it in the first biography of the boys!

http://boneyearnest.blogspot.com/2004/09/chance-encounter.html

Monday, September 20, 2004 ... 5:21 PM

Chance encounter

Wind and rainy scraps of Ivan forced Friday's outdoor show under a canvas tent, to Gillian's dismay. The precipitation was light to hazy through most of the day as my daisy Betsy and I made our way up the Virginia hills from Carolina, but it started pouring between Old Crow Medicine Show's set and Gil & Dave's set. Onstage, Gil made repeated wearied references to the weather. Even when it wasn't raining, the night was muggy and hot and the skeeters were biting. Before I was even out of the car, I had bites on my left thumb and on my forehead.

Old Crow were cheerful, though, with Dave Rawlings (or Butch Hobson, if you insist) at stage left, frailing on a resonator banjo, fretting his signature archtop Epiphone, and picking a squareneck maple Dobro. I don't know where the guy went who filled this position at Newport, but he wasn't there. Critter Fuqua was, though.

Critter was a founding member of Old Crow, the banjo and National guitar picker whom Dave Rawlings and that guy at Newport are filling in for, indefinitely apparently, and without official explanation.

Toward the end of Old Crow's set I made my way to the toilet cabins, and sitting on a log in the shadows at a bend in the dirt path leading from the tent were Gillian and Critter themselves. Critter was wearing that cap he wears on the O.C.M.S. CD sleeve. Gillian was dressed up in her stage outfit: black dress and black velvet jacket, black tights and black cowgirl boots, her graying ruddy hair pulled back tight and her face made up a moony white. They sat chatting quietly -- two people apart trying to have a fucking conversation thank you very much. So I interrupted them. But only to make Gillian aware, urgently, that that I didn't have anything much to say to her.

I thanked her around 10 times for playing in Virginia again. She shook my hand in the dark. Her hand was long and soft and slightly limp, like a rolled up pita. I said I'd seen her last month at Wolf Trap. She said, "Oh, with Emmy?" I said yes. She said, "Yeah, that was a fun show." I stood there over her for a moment and nodded. She asked where I was from. I said Virginia, up the nothern part of the state. I said I used to live in Nashville, though, and I'd seen her at the Station Inn last year, and at the Belcourt a few times, and that I'd met her and Dave at Tower Records on West End in Nashville last year as well. "Oh, yeah," she said. She didn't know what to say to me. I didn't give her much to work with.

Critter sat watching quietly for a moment and then excused himself. I wish I'd said Hey to him as well, and then left them both alone, or at least thought to mention to Gillian, since I had already imposed, that she is a great hero of mine, the most often heard voice on my stereo speakers, that she sits in the highest seat of my suburban twang pantheon, or that her music has shone light that has led me through a couple of dim times, that her music has taught me things about the world, and about myself, or at the very least that her lyrics like no one else's have opened my eyes and my ears and my mind and my heart to the endless reaches and depths of American song and spurred me to go diving and nosing and groping around, however blindly, in our history. Instead I told her again that I appreciated it that she was playing in Virginia again, as if Virginia were a leper colony.

After around 90 seconds of watching me starstruck as a bobbysoxer stammer and sweat, Gillian Welch rose to her feet and peered over my shoulder at the tent where Old Crow were wrapping up. She said, "Well this is their last tune. I'd better go get ready to do my thing," and then slipped off into the trees.
oreily
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:48 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 26 Feb 2005 Posts: 160 Location: Jasper, GA
Maybe we can narrow this down if everyone posts when they did/didn't see Critter. We saw them in Asheville, March '05, and Gil was still playing.

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
*Call Me Foxxxy If'n Ya Nasty* Joined: 18 Dec 2004 Posts: 1079 Location: Lynchburg, VA USA
basically i know he waqs back by late july ealry august 05, but it did see him play in March 05, him and gil landry both in charlottesville. heh, lucky me i guess.

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 16 Nov 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Chicago, Illinois
I saw them in October 05' in Chicago sans Gil.
gwrap
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 925 Location: Stankonia, GA
He took another hiatus on their tour of the West Coast in the Summer of 2003 too, I believe. Then, he was off and on for a while. And, then he took his official hiatus. The first show that I remember him being back was The Quail Run Farm show, wearing his Washington Nationals hat. Wink

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
kg
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
That sounds like April 2, 2005 at the Quail Run Farm show wearing a Nationals cap. (It's a little like playing Clue!)
Libby
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
*Queen Crow* Joined: 11 Jan 2006 Posts: 299 Location: London, England
He didn't play the UK tour in summer 05, but by the time I saw OCMS for the first time in America that fall (Rhythm and Roots - mid September) he was back.
buggin
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 26 Jan 2006 Posts: 599 Location: JELLICO TN
gwrap wrote:
He took another hiatus on their tour of the West Coast in the Summer of 2003 too, I believe. Then, he was off and on for a while. And, then he took his official hiatus. The first show that I remember him being back was The Quail Run Farm show, wearing his Washington Nationals hat. Wink

I think you are right