old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  Blasphemy!

penelippy
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Oct 2007 Posts: 749 Location: on the road
Someone on youtube made a comment under Fall On My Knees: (verbatim)

"Old crow is amateur old time music, the old time stringband is a great sound and a traditional american music with its roots in appalachia, which is were they get most of their material. They took this music and went pop with it, which is great except they're about the bottom of the barrel when it comes to stringbands in this "genre". The fiddler in this band (catch) totally sucks when compared to any Appalachian fiddler of notoriety in old time music." Shocked Twisted Evil

If this gets deleted because anyone is concerned with how the boys would feel if they happened to read it, I completely understand, no hard feelings.
I just wanted to let you guys know so that if any of you are members of youtube and stumble upon this you can give the newish thumbs up/down feature a whirl.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Dude... Ketch, like, totally does suck! I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, all the guys are just horrible at what they do. I would never pay money nor travel long distances to see Old Crow Medicine Show.
TommyDinBCNV
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 30 Sep 2007 Posts: 159 Location: Boulder City, NV
pittsyltucky wrote:
Dude... Ketch, like, totally does suck! I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, all the guys are just horrible at what they do. I would never pay money nor travel long distances to see Old Crow Medicine Show.

Agreed! They should become a boy band. They could all do synchronized dance moves with canned music and wear the same outfit Ketch did at the awards show the other day. They could call themselves " The All Fro Medalion Bros"

" We're still passionate about what we do, and it's still a thrill to play. I'm glad that we've done it on our own, beholden to nobody else but greatly in debt to many - most of whom are musicians who have helped move us along."-Ketch Secor
therodge
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Ah, that dude is just one of those "Grassholes".

If it ain't 100% traditional, it aint worth listening to ... is that dude's stance.

Personally, I think Old Crow is pretty strict on what type of music they try out.
I mean, they try out Bob Marley, Willie Nelson... etc. But they always do it in fashion that is true to their roots. It might be a little too loose for the Grassholes, but I say open it up and see what they can do! Artists need to experiment and reinvent themselves... and really they are doing just that. I doubt you will be able to call the next album Old Time. Seems like they are going into more a Neil Young vibe now. Which I dig. Methanphedamine is an instant classic... far from old time!

they definitely aren't this (as Tommy said),

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
I noticed that negative reviews are really taken seriously around here. I think that's because this band doesn't have a big publicity campaign or a real gimmick. They just play music very well. Their talent is what put them on the map, so when that is questioned we get up in arms. With other bands if you don't like them it means their marketing didn't appeal to you, or their image doesn't strike a chord. Ketch wore a flannel shirt on stage here. That is about as non-marketed, non-image as it gets.
As far as their sound goes, I think Rodge nailed it. They take some pretty diverse influences and make them their own, and it is always recognizable as OCMS as soon as you hear it. I like that. If they sounded note for note like the people that influenced them they would be dismissed by the same critics as nothing new.

Last edited by TommyDinBCNV on Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

" We're still passionate about what we do, and it's still a thrill to play. I'm glad that we've done it on our own, beholden to nobody else but greatly in debt to many - most of whom are musicians who have helped move us along."-Ketch Secor
krazykarl
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 12 Dec 2004 Posts: 516
I heard that willie actually just married brittney Twisted Evil
TommyDinBCNV
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
krazykarl wrote:
I heard that willie actually just married brittney Twisted Evil

I hope he beats her like a dead horse, she already has horse eyes.
Seriously, that little girl needs a spankin and some good ol' traditional values, and I think one of these fellas would be the best thing that ever happened to her, and especially her kids. (She wouldn't know what to do with talent around after being with K-Fed, though).

razorsedge
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 16 Nov 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Chicago, Illinois
I agree that negetive comments aren't taken too lightly in these parts. But I think it's because everything you read or hear somebody say is nothing but praise for them. Every time I introduce them to new people, they automatically like it. My good buddy for instance insists that Fergy is top notch but I've taken him to two Old Crow shows and he loves them. Either way, I'm taken aback everytime I hear somebody talk bad about them because it's such a rarity. I get bent out of shape at first, but then I just chalk it up to, "to each their own."
kg
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
I loaned Eutaw to an acquaintance not too long ago and she and her husband listened to it a bit. When she returned the CD she said that the group was too "twangy for them." (Like razorsedge said, "To each their own.")

I don't think I've ever heard anyone question the boys' sincerity. If they did, well, I quess those would be fighting words.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have friends who close their mind as soon as you say banjo...

m311ton
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 28 May 2007 Posts: 421 Location: Missouri
I get a lot of funny looks when I put the boys on the stereo, not too many folk round here in Chicago that dig the sound. It is just too foreign to them. But as for the Youtube critic, its not a huge deal really. Their music is fun, they love doing it, we love hearing it, so who really cares what some fool thinks on Youtube.
kg
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this isn't the thread for it and maybe it's been asked before, but do any of the boys play mandolin? Have they ever pulled one out in concert? (Not that I'm suggesting anything.) The lack of mandolin certainly puts them out of the bluegrass category and you'd think would keep the "traditionalists" quiet.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Jul 2006 Posts: 896 Location: Ocean City, MD
Kinman plays it. But did not bust it out in Nashville.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
kg wrote:
Maybe this isn't the thread for it and maybe it's been asked before, but do any of the boys play mandolin? Have they ever pulled one out in concert?

there is an article somewhere that quotes Ketch as saying that there was a time when they all had a problem with mandolins, but they've pretty much got over it now Laughing
GumboStu
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
Quote:
The lack of mandolin certainly puts them out of the bluegrass category and you'd think would keep the "traditionalists" quiet.

You can't keep traditionalists quiet unless your a dead fiddler from the last century Rolling Eyes
therodge
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Hey, at least they are NOT these guys

Last edited by therodge on Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Lord, what will Simon say?

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 22 Feb 2007 Posts: 976 Location: The Right Coast
I agree with Rodge. They are taking the music past where they found it. Yeah they are putting some more "modern" type stuff in the mix, but they are still breaking out the Old Time jams. Come on, "Alway Lift Him Up" by Blind Alfred Reed, who is doing that? Silver Dagger, Fire on the Mountain, Shack #9 are in the rotation. I think they are doing a hell of a job. Screw the haters. And hell yeah we don't like the negative reviews, this is friggin' Oldcrowfans after all.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
therodge wrote:
Ah, that dude is just one of those "Grassholes".

If it ain't 100% traditional, it aint worth listening to ... is that dude's stance.

Aaah, he thinks he is too "kewl", eh?

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
TommyDinBCNV wrote:
she already has horse eyes.

We call her "Hush Puppy".