old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  Gill

penelippy
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Oct 2007 Posts: 749 Location: on the road
I take it all back!!! I said I'd never like Gill and you all said "Just see him live, it will change your opinions." You're right, goddamit, you're right!!!

I sent him a message on myspace telling him what a great two shows it was and blah, blah, blah....he already replied! Yay!!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 17 Sep 2008 Posts: 570 Location: Jackson, Miss
What is gil's best solo album, i'm new to his music and i want to start off at the best.?

East and West the Highway Rolls, Lord Have Mercy on My Poor Soul!
GumboStu
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
The Ballad of Lawless Soirez is essential listening, and my favourite (non-crow) album of the last two years.

Gill has another album available available from the Kitchen Syncopators website (see further back in this thread) which shares several songs and the producer is the same and is great for the insight and a good album in itself, but is definitely 2nd (in a list of two)

Then the Kitchen Syncopators have a selection of eclectic oldtime vaudevillian blues and roots type albums of which I have two. Pepper In My Shoe is my favourite (in a list of two. If you like early Crow albums (if Rolling Eyes ) then you'll like these, too.

I'm buying the rest as well.

edited for spelling

Last edited by GumboStu on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
thanks stu, ill give them a try

missyjay6
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 09 Sep 2008 Posts: 453 Location: Scotland
Oh yesssss! Those Syncopators really really are right up my street! I've just spent the weekend listening to the three albums that arrived on Friday (Yazoo City Strugglers, Live in Sedona and the self-titled one) and I'm absolutely lovin' them!!

Stu - you're right, they don't just look like document records, they sound just like them!

Yazoo has got the best ever version of Dyin' Crapshooter's Blues on that I've heard (apart from Mr McTell's which I adore Smile )

I'm loving all three albums, but so far Yazoo is probably edging it (bound to change again..and again..and again...)

I love Gill's vocals, the Washboard, Kazoo, Harmonica, and of course the guitar playing!

Benman - I agree with Stu, get yourself Lawless Soirez! Definitely essential listening! And I'd highly recommend Yazoo (and the other two)....and will probably recommend the other ones once I've got them (can't wait for payday.....)

This is so cool, I love finding out about "new" stuff! Thanks guys for pointing me in the Syncopators' direction!!
jason57chevy
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 14 Jun 2008 Posts: 900 Location: Woodstock, Georgia
missyjay6,
I could not said it any better. Gill is one of a kind fo-sho. Glad he is around.

Benmancrowfan
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
i agree wit ya on that one missy jay, gil has an amazing voice!!!!

GumboStu
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
Great to hear, missyjay. You got the three I didn't get but wait ...

I just ordered them. Woo!

Get em before the recession bites, folks, you'll be glad you did. Wink

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 09 Sep 2008 Posts: 453 Location: Scotland
GumboStu wrote:
Get em before the recession bites, folks, you'll be glad you did. Wink

Well, now Mervyn's used the R-word it's bound to bite...but hey, we need some good music to get us through it, so I'm just waiting for payday Smile
bopanic
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
Benmancrowfan wrote:
gil has an amazing voice!!!!

yes he does! when he sings "down in eutaw alabama" i get fired up!
jason57chevy
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
I agree Bo, I also can't wait to hear Mary's in Knox and Char. I wonder if they will play anything "special or request" since it is the last shows. I would like to hear Dixie from Gill.

Jumpin' Bean
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 25 Sep 2008 Posts: 1018 Location: Madison, WI
I was looking 'round on good old myspace today... it appears that Gill has listed 2 solo shows in December on his schedule. Asheville and Nashville. Someone may have pointed this out already... if they did I missed it.

If they don't approve my personal leave for the Boone to Charlotte run... I'll be requestin' some days for one of these... seeing him solo is well worth the travel!

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
I'm going to start searching around for some links for Gill.

And here.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
That OPB link is a good start, kg. I've seen the pics before but not heard the songs.

Another version of Never Coming Here Again. Very Happy

There's a slightly more produced one on Gill's Myspace.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Gill has a version of On Top Of Old Smokey on 2007's soundtrack album for A Simple Life (clip at Amazon)

I can't get it here in the non-US Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Link

Dark inspiration
Gill Landry finds stories in cities, women and ... cemeteries?
Published 05.09.07
By Jeff Hahneen

There's no telling who the real Lawless Soirez was. For Gill Landry, he's a down-on-his-luck traveler who's sharing his story of loves lost and the dark alleys he's wandered. In reality, Lawless Soirez is just the name on a tombstone. Singer/songwriter/storyteller Landry saw the name and wrote a song about him.

"It's a man who's buried in Erath, Louisiana," Landry says of the discovery last year. "I like taking pictures of graveyards, and I like hanging out and playing music in them. I knew I was working on the album, and I just loved his name. I wanted to take on his name, but I just wrote a song about him. They have a picture of him on the grave, but it's a complete fabrication as far as his life goes."

When the song "Lawless Soirez" was complete, Landry liked it so much that he named his debut album, The Ballad of Lawless Soirez. The album's cover may look like a dime-store novel, and the songs could nearly be pieced together like a book, but they're virtually unrelated except for a common flavor of the music.

With a stripped-down, acoustic Americana feeling that's been peppered with New Orleans influence and dark overtones, Landry's debut tells the stories of cities and loves gone by. Half of the tracks were written over the last seven years, and others were written once he started the recording process.

"They're all pretty-much based in reality although they might be a montage of things," Landry says. "For instance, none of the women's-named songs are about women with those names. Some of them might not even be about just one woman, it might be two women that inspire aspects of one song. The faces all blend together. They all tie into my experiences in life."

While the album has a steady New Orleans flavor to it, it's more from the music history than because of recent disasters. "I would never write some patriotic tribute to a disaster-type tune," Landry says. "Though that definitely influenced some of the darkness on the album."

The stories/songs are packaged together by Landry, who designed the album's cover, took the photos and had a hand in just about every aspect of its production. Though if you look at the liner notes, you may notice a different name at times -- Frank Lemon.

"He's my manager," Landry says with a laugh. "I am my own manager. Frank Lemon -- I pulled that name off a wall in New Orleans a long time ago. It was all in fun." Landry started to use the Lemon name during his years with the Syncopators -- a band he started in 1998.

In 2005, Landry got involved with Old Crow Medicine Show, a brief touring gig that led to his solo album being created. Though Landry knew the band from their days playing in the streets of New Orleans, it's a gig he almost didn't get. When the band was looking for a banjo player, Landry offered his services, though he had never played the instrument before.

"I only had played the banjo for two weeks before I played the gig with them at Grand Ole Opry," Landry says with a laugh. "I told them, 'My claw hammer's a little rusty, but I can do the job.' So, I went to the store and I bought a banjo." After a brief lesson by the salesman, Landry spent the next two weeks at his house practicing and playing along to Old Crow music. "It wasn't easy at all," he notes. "I didn't have it by any means when I got there and they could tell, but it was perfect because they could mold me into the banjo player they wanted. As long as you can 50 percent back up your bluff, why not go for it?"

Through his touring with them, he met people at Nettwerk Records who offered him the chance at recording a solo album. While he's only been touring for a few months in support of the new album, he's thinking ahead to the next one. "I already have the next one written," Landry says. "I have to prove myself a bit more and sell some of these records so I can get the opportunity to make another one. I'm not new to playing music, but I'm new to playing solo in towns I've never been to before. It's been a pretty exciting up-and-down roller coaster."

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I am going to see Gill at Eddies Attic in Decatur GA in December. Guess what it is right next door of the CD Store in Atlanta!!!!

kg
Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
Eyecatcher!!

And don't forget Gill on the Blueplate Special on WDVX today at noon (local time)

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
me and my little bro are doing the huntsville show on the 16th since ill have to miss the nashville show on the 15th cause i gotta go to NYC for work, if any of yall nashville folk wanna come down to huntsville im sure my little bro will put ya up for the night!
old-mose-harper
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 23 Mar 2007 Posts: 658 Location: Spindale, NC
Man I forgot all about this little run he was doin...guess I know where I'll be Thursday!!

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
*Garfunkled* Joined: 22 Jan 2008 Posts: 1524 Location: Hokes Bluff AL.
when gil travels is it him and his guitar or is there more?

gil in hsvl on tues...to bad

bopanties,i didnt realize yer bro lived in hsvl. whats he do? i lived there for 12 year.
old-mose-harper
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Its all different according to who's around him in the city he's playin in, remember Ketch played fiddle for him last year in Nashville. I'm hoping that Woody Pines will come out and play with him in Asheville...

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 26 Jan 2006 Posts: 599 Location: JELLICO TN
I'd say woody will prolley play in ashville... If he is able and asked by Gill. If he's not playing he'll be there for sure. Him and Gil are tight like mike and ike.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
indeedinoditsistern wrote:
bopanties,i didnt realize yer bro lived in hsvl. whats he do? i lived there for 12 year.

he builds houses, no hard labor just as an overlooker.

you should catch that show in huntsville. ITS FREE! Smile
ummmdanny
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 08 Dec 2008 Posts: 12
Maybe I missed something somewhere but ummm, where is he?
bopanic
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
where is who? gill?
ummmdanny
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 08 Dec 2008 Posts: 12
Critter!
GumboStu
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
In the old days when money was worth something, that would have been called the $64,000 question.

Truth is no-one who knows anything has said anything. You know as much as the rest of us.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
Actually Stu I know where he is, he's right beside me. We're discussing the stock market right now, in a second we're gonna play a game of teather ball...