old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  Tennessee Pusher

kg
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
Old Crow Medicine Show's Mountain Music: The Band's New-Era Bluegrass Isn't Just Winning Fans, It Might Have Healing Powers
Posted on: Thursday, 26 June 2008, 18:02 CDT

By Liz Mitchell, The Island Packet, Hilton Head Island, S.C.

Jun. 26--Old Crow Medicine Show got their start much like their name might suggest: by traveling from town to town in a van playing music for anyone who would listen, much like the old medicine shows that sold elixirs and secret remedies to anyone looking for a cure-all.

"The idea of a traveling show is what it was born out of," said band member Willie Watson, who plays guitar, banjo and sings. "We wanted to travel to street corners."

The band will visit Hilton Head Island for the first time Thursday, one night before playing at a sold-out July 4 show in Charleston with the Dave Matthews Band.

If you go to the Hilton Head show, you might not find those memory elixirs or secret remedies to cure your ails, but you might be surprised at what you hear.

The band, known for its pre-World War II blues, fiddle tunes and American jug music, often is lumped into country or bluegrass genres. Watson admits, though, that most of the band didn't know what bluegrass was before they got together. The 28-year-old grew up listening to Nirvana and Michael Jackson.

"Our old-time (music) isn't like a lot of traditionalists," he said. "We made our own way. We have our own sound. We play old-time music at a bluegrass tempo, so we amp it up."

Old Crow Medicine Show -- Watson, Critter Fuqua on banjo, Ketch Secor on fiddle and harmonica, Morgan Jahnig on bass and Kevin Hayes on the guitjo -- met in New York. After spending a few years on the road in the van, they decided to re-settle in the mountains of Boone, N.C., where they lived for two years in a cabin without electricity and learned how to do things like make banjos out of soup cans.

"It was a different time because we didn't play a lot of shows," Watson said. "Mostly we lived on a mountain with a tobacco field. We made corn liquor and banjos, hung out with old-timers, lived the mountain life. We really got into it. It was essential to immerse ourselves in that. That is where (this music) comes from."

One day the band was playing in front of a small pharmacy in Boone when a woman asked if they would be there a while. She went to get her dad, who turned out to be Doc Watson, a folk icon who invited Old Crow to play at the Merlefest music festival. That in turn led to a host of other opportunities, including slots at the Grand Ole Opry and Bonnaroo.

Watson said the band has a new album called "Tennessee Pusher" in the works, and it's being recorded with producer Don Was, who has manned the boards for the Rolling Stones and Bonnie Raitt. The band might even dig up a few of those new songs at next week's show.

Last edited by kg on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 23 Mar 2007 Posts: 658 Location: Spindale, NC
Tennessee Pusher aye...well I guess that makes sense, there are a lot of pusher's of methamphetamine in Tennessee!!

Think methamphetamine will be the first single??

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
supposed to be an EP coming -- betcha Meth will be on there. Hoping for Crazy Eyes and Ala High Test, too -- it'll be the "dope" EP...

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
I really hope they get that Walk The Dinosaur on there too... that's a humdinger!

The name is alright. I think it's a lil overkill though. Just don't become like that crappy band that opened for the Racontuers...

therodge wrote:
Anyway, the opening band was one of the worst bands Ive ever seen. They are called the Magic Wands. 2 person band. The girl was dressed in a torn up princess type dress. She cared a plushy unicorn and guess what? a toy magic wand! She said, "we're the magic wands! [waving wand in the air mystically]... their 2nd song was called Black Magic. I wanted to throw up. She threw the wand into the crowd and the guy in front of me said that he wished he had caught it... he would wave it and make them dissapear, haha. Boy did they suck.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of hoping Motel in Memphis will make the EP

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
i like the name! very fitting, wonder if they have written a tune called tn pusher? am i crazy or isnt there an old tune (maybe a dead tune) called tn pusher? i know there is a song that panic covers called "pusherman"

anyways, tuck for some reason i got the feeling from ketch that night we were talking to him after the final night in athens, that bama high test wouldnt be making the album? we were telling him how much we liked that tune, and didnt you say something like, "is that gonna be the new big tune on the album?" and he said something like "naw, that ones just for yall"

i hope im wrong, cause that high test gets me going! bring it out in SC boys! Very Happy
therodge
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
Yea, there is a song called TN Pusher that Ketch sings. I forget which show I heard him sing it. Maybe it was that first Basement show. Goes something like.

Tennesseeeee
Tennesseeeee
Tennesseeeee Pusher...

no joke!

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
na man i hear ya, i didnt think i was trippin... ive heard a hook that had tn pusher in it somewhere? Confused
therodge
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
yea, I agree... Its from some night recently but can't remember. Got it! Athens night #1! Encore.

pittsyltucky wrote:

Friday - 4/25/08
I - 10:25-11:05
Fall On My Knees
Caroline
Down South Blues
Next Go Round
Methamphetamine
Mary's Kitchen
Poor Man
Down Home Girl
Raise A Ruckus>
Fiddle Tune or Ruckus Breakdown?
Can't Get Right

II - _____ -12:25ish
Fire On The Mountain
Alabama Hi-Test
Big Time In The Jungle
Greatest Hustler
Minglewood
Humdinger
Tell It To Me
Roll On Buddy
Wagon Wheel
Tear It Down
On The Road Again
Hard To Love
E - Tennessee Pusher
(Intros - actual names)
Are You From Dixie?

BTW, my 3000th post.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
bopanic wrote:
i like the name! very fitting, wonder if they have written a tune called tn pusher? am i crazy or isnt there an old tune (maybe a dead tune) called tn pusher? i know there is a song that panic covers called "pusherman"

anyways, tuck for some reason i got the feeling from ketch that night we were talking to him after the final night in athens, that bama high test wouldnt be making the album? we were telling him how much we liked that tune, and didnt you say something like, "is that gonna be the new big tune on the album?" and he said something like "naw, that ones just for yall"

i hope im wrong, cause that high test gets me going! bring it out in SC boys! Very Happy

I think you might be combining the "The Pusher" by Steppenwolf with the Dead's "Tennessee Jed" haha

...oh and Rodge, this is my 37th post...wow 3000 like Bernie Mac

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
TN Pusher is a new tune - the one Willie plays fiddle on... They did not play it at the Basement gigs.

to clarify -- I asked Ketch if he thought it'd be the next Wagon Wheel... to that he said "no, I don't think so". You are right -- he did say that one was for us. Those of us that ride the rails hundreds of miles chasing that crow and burnin' that down-home dixie-fried homegrown. Things could take a wrong turn at any time, but you only got one life, man -- better get the most out of it that you can. Ain't nobody gonna take your place in the dirt when the time comes.

"On my way home, got pulled over
Somewhere in South Care-lina
With a half-ounce of weed and a jar of untaxed liquor
My buddy Steve was driving, hadn't yet turned thirty-five
And I'd like to say I'm sorry, but we lived to tell about it
And we lived to do a whole lot more crazy, f'd-up shit"

Thanks for the inspiration, Patterson

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
old-mose-harper wrote:
I think you might be combining the "The Pusher" by Steppenwolf with the Dead's "Tennessee Jed" haha

na man, trust me i know ole tn jed!

but by the way thanks digging up the answer there rodge! good work.

and tuck, nice work remembering that conversation with ketch, hell man after all the beers and high test that day im surprised you even remember being at the show... its kind of a blur for me! Laughing

i do recall it raining like hell that night, and we ended up at some bar with morgans friend. other than that its kinda a blur. oh ya and my little bro skipped the show cuase he met some gal, and by the way he just helped her move to denver, yep think he is in love... Shocked
pittsyltucky
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Justin's a chump - you tell him. cooze or crow -- cooze or crow... yep -- you can get the cooze just about anywhere...

yeah -- I don't really understand it, but i've got a sponge-brain. it's a blessing AND a curse.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
From: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003822947

Old Crow Medicine Show Pushes Ahead On New CD
By Katie Hasty, N.Y.

Americana/bluegrass troupe Old Crow Medicine Show is preparing to release its third album, "Tennessee Pusher," on Sept. 23, via Nettwerk.

Produced by Don Was (Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones), the album comes on the heels of the Nashville fivesome's 2006 set "Big Iron World," which reached No. 2 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart.

In addition to core players Willie Watson, Ketch Secor, Critter Fuqua, Kevin Hayes and Morgan Jahnig, the group was joined in the studio by famed session drummer Jim Keltner and Tom Petty keyboardist Benmont Tench.

The 13-track set features a cover of "Always Lift Him Up," by Blind Alfred Reed.

The full-length's first single "Caroline"(which is available exclusively to stream via Billboard.com), "Next Go 'Round" and exclusive bonus song "Back to New Orleans" will become available as an EP through digital retailers on July 29.

"Tennessee Pusher" will be preceded by a three-track EP "Caroline."

Old Crow Medicine Show hits the road starting Sept. 3 in Manchester, England, continuing through Nov. 13 in Seattle. The trek includes double dates in New York, San Francisco, Nashville and Washington, D.C.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
KING OF GOOGLE!!! GREAT JOB!

South Carolina, here I come ...

Caroline you'll do just fine!

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 14 Jun 2008 Posts: 900 Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Heck yeah boy! I can't wait till the new LP comes out.

Jason

GumboStu
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
Hey Rodge - can you swing a pre-release for the OldCrowFans? Very Happy

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
haha. I wish I had some pull like that.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
best thing we can do for ourselves and the boys is to buy the album on the release date. and buy two or three and give 'em to your friends!!!!!! make it a hell of a first day!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
pittsyltucky wrote:
best thing we can do for ourselves and the boys is to buy the album on the release date. and buy two or three and give 'em to your friends!!!!!! make it a hell of a first day!!!

You're right, 'tucky! (I wonder if one can pre-order through Amazon.com?)

By the way, can anyone figure out if "Caroline" is already streaming at billboard.com? I've looked at it every which way...

And ... do you all think that "Tennesee Pusher" is a play on words? There's pusher as in dealer but there's also pusher as in a small engine that moves stock about the railyard. (I think Willie is fond of trains and wouldn't something about railroads be a cool cover?)

Last edited by kg on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Caroline is on the bottom of the page that your link goes to. Dang awesome

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
therodge wrote:
Caroline is on the bottom of the page that your link goes to. Dang awesome
Thanks, rodge! (Time for my eye appointment, I guess.)

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
nah, i didnt see it on the first read through.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
therodge wrote:
nah, i didnt see it on the first read through.

I had to hit the refresh button.

Man, that version of "Caroline" is great! For some reason I was worried about what they would do with it in the studio. Me of little faith! I should be ashamed!

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
as a webdesigner, this all makes me laugh how easy to see but we all miss it. Very interesting.. but I digress.

It's under this paragraph.. press play.

"The full-length's first single "Caroline"(which is available exclusively to stream via Billboard.com), "Next Go 'Round" and exclusive bonus song "Back to New Orleans" will become available as an EP through digital retailers on July 29."

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
it didn't show up until i refreshed about the third time... moral: keep hitting refresh!!

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 866 Location: MO Ozarks
"In addition to core players Willie Watson, Ketch Secor, Gill Landry, Kevin Hayes and Morgan Jahnig, the group was joined in the studio by famed session drummer Jim Keltner and Tom Petty keyboardist Benmont Tench."

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and state the painfully obvious here, but......ah fuck it, I don't even wanna talk about it :(
Kitty
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
kg wrote:
From: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003822947

Old Crow Medicine Show Pushes Ahead On New CD
By Katie Hasty, N.Y.

In addition to core players Willie Watson, Ketch Secor, Critter Fuqua, Kevin Hayes and Morgan Jahnig, the group was joined in the studio by famed session drummer Jim Keltner and Tom Petty keyboardist Benmont Tench.

Interesting... .in KGs first post it said Critter, but now it says Gill. Wonder if they had to go back and edit?? That is sorta sad. Listening to Caroline right now...l and can't wait to hear it live in three days!
CincyCrowLuvr
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 25 Aug 2007 Posts: 155 Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
The title "tennessee pusher"
could it be the horse Question

(sorry could not post a link, google TENNESSEE PUSHER)

Last edited by CincyCrowLuvr on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cali_OCMS_Fan
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 01 Feb 2008 Posts: 56 Location: Stockton, CA
Anyone else having problems with the player on the billboard site? It was working last night, albeit a bit glitch-y....it would stop before the last like 20-30 seconds..... but now the player doesnt even show up on the page for me no matter how many times i reload the page. Lame.

:(

Hopefully they will have it up again or maybe stream it on their official site?

So whats everyones opinion of the new single?