old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  Your review of "Tennessee Pusher"

kg
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
I've read so many reviews already from so-called professionals and would be happier, I'm sure, with yours. Here's a good place to throw in your two cents. I hope to post a few of my impressions on the 23rd.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Fine Idea KG... and thought I would go ahead and move rodge's review over here to kick it off.....

Quote:

*** My Review of my first listen of Tennessee Pusher ***

The fine folks at Amie Street send me the album today for review and all I can say so far is WOW!

This album really attacks you, not in vigorous raw speed but more in depth and subject matter. It's pretty heavy. Each song seems to pose a question and is asking it staring right into your eyes. Are you ready to party? What regrets do you have and wish you could live over and right? What can we do about the drug problems of the south? Are you a racist? Are you ready to party some more?! Each song really gets your attention and doesn't let go until it's on to the next.

Yea it has drums and organ and not alot of fiddle tunes, but this very much sounds like an Old Crow album... a damn fine one at that! I really like how it's produced. It's very dense. Alot of layers of sound but your can easily pick out an instrument or voice and focus on it if you want to. I think the drums are a tad strong on Meth and Crazy Eyes. They get in the way a little but not horribly.

Man, it's SO GOOD to hear Critter again! Him, Ketch, and Willie's voices meld together so well.

This album is so dang moody man. I love it! Such a warm sound to it too. I'm talking the warmth of being a kid in Elementary School and hearing you dont have to go to school cause of a ton of snow that fell through the night.. getting excited.. looking through window at the snow...jumping for joy.. then jumping backing into bed and covering up with an electric blanket to sleep for the rest of the morning type of warmth! Oh so cozy.

Shooo... dang goosebumps on Meth and Lift Him Up! Lift Him Up has seemed to be condensed but I like it. I think Greatest Hustler drags a little..it's 7:05 long. Still awesome though. I'm finishing up now with Caroline and can already tell this is an album that will not leave your player for months! It's got that repeatability that OCMS had.. where you're like "It's already over?!"

Wow. It's done playing. I dont really know what to say except I really know why I go to all the shows and check this site every minute. Ya'll are gonna be happy very very very happy. This is gonna sound cheesy but it's got me a lil misty eyed picturing all ya'll and how much you're gonna enjoy this record. No joke. Can't wait to see Old Crow again and hang out with all ya'll some more. Great nights of some of the finest music and people a man come in contact with. Great times ahead of us for sure!

What a life.
Kitty
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
*Mrs. Kitty* Joined: 23 Oct 2006 Posts: 2344 Location: Durham, NC
Oh - and here a review from new member, lifeform, who was able to purchase the album at the philly show

Quote:

I'm not particularly good at writing record reviews, but here are some of my impressions of Tennessee Pusher so far:

The new CD is heavy on the slow and mid-tempo tunes. For better or worse, there are no straight-ahead full-speed fiddle tunes (e.g. Union Maid or Tear It Down).

One of the faster tunes is Alabama High-Test, which opens the CD. The stop-and-start strumming in the verses reminds me a little of CCR's Travelin' Band.

Mary's Kitchen is another fun upbeat tune, a country shuffle with Gill singing lead. It's about as ribald a song as we've heard from the Crows, with the chorus: "C'mon into Mary's kitchen / If you want your sausage ground"

My favorite tune on the disc so far is Next Go 'Round. a lovely, simple melody w/ understated vocal harmonies, in the same vain as Take 'Em Away.

I don't have high praise for every song. Humdinger, writen and sung by Kevin Hayes, begins with the lyrics: "Party of the century / No cops allowed!". I'm all for a good party song, but this one is just a little too crowd-pandering for me. I don't need for every Crows song to be all high-minded or anything. And it's not a bad song. It just goes for the lowest common demoninator, IMO.

All in all, the new CD is a solid collection of tunes. It's good to hear some new material from my favorite band.
jason57chevy
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 14 Jun 2008 Posts: 900 Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Still Waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. Hopefully Tuesday.... Confused

I think I am the only one who doesnt have it yet

GumboStu
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
mine got posted yesterday apparently - that's nearly as good as ... well - at least I know it's coming Very Happy

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Nervous and more. Yes, I’ve been apprehensive all these months leading up to the release of Old Crow’s Tennessee Pusher. But the new album is wonderful. I should make that clear from the start. All the rumors–and my own fears that the boys would develop faster than I cared to move down their road–were unfounded. This new collection of songs is a delightful mix of the raucous and sentimental. There’s even some playful double entendre.

It is, before anything else, a remarkably empathetic album. Take a listen and you’ll feel the sorrow too. Bask in the wide-eyed wonder of the road. Or learn a hard life’s lesson that fills a soul with regret and–one can hope–a touch, at least, of wisdom, or solace, or the hard comfort that comes when a body shares a hurt with a friend.

I could go on quite a while writing about this album, but I’ll spare you. Just know that it’s an album that I think folks will be listening to for a long time. Keep the disk in your collection for your grandchildren; they’ll feel as though they’ve discovered something precious when they stumble upon it. (Of course, it may still be in your CD player, all those years on.)

Alabama High-Test
A fun song, one that I imagine will be very successful in concert (especially with its reference to weed.) The driving word association reminds one of Dylan, of course, but comparisons to Bob only go so far. The fiddle playing is tremendous, with a rasping quality here that I really like.

Highway Halo
My favorite song from the album. Who would have known? It’s so unexpected and cryptic, but I feel it. With the exception of “Caroline,” I think this is possibly Ketch’s most personal song. I just sense that he’s speaking here in his own voice rather than in the voice of the many characters he’s adopted in his other work. Tight harmonies here are so good with Critter’s voice in the mix. There’s just no doing without him. And the organ. Wow. Whoever is responsible for the tight sharing of the tune by the organ and harmonica is inspired. And Ketch’s close? Just great. Wish I could reach those high notes.

The Greatest Hustler
Not long at all in my book, folks. This piece is a real showcase for Willie’s voice and I could listen to it forever. This is the first piece the boys have done that makes me think they could be a darn good jam band. (Most of you knew that already, didn’t you?)

Methamphetamine
A very good song. Topical as all get out and it bothers me that it will probably be misunderstood in concert; I hear it with tears nearly in my eyes–but I imagine folks will shout out silly things during concerts. Listen, this is no glib trivialization of drug use gone too far. It’s a warning. Drums on an Old Crow album? It certainly works here.

Next Go ‘Round
This one’s lovely and really deserves a lot of play on mainstream radio. It’s old fashioned and beautiful, with a sentimentality that I’m proud the boys want to sing. Mournful and nostalgic, wise and heartfelt.

Humdinger
Another fun tune, one that I hope is well received. Kevin’s voice isn’t very strong, but it’s unique and he makes the song. He’s the one who’ll make the party. I’ve read elsewhere that this song panders to the crowd, but I would argue that there’s a refreshing irony in this song. Really, who wants to party with a folksinger?

Motel in Memphis
Another song in which Ketch seems to speak for all of us. Or to all of us. Dr. King’s murder was really a horror and, like Mr. Crump in the song, revealed a lot that was incredibly ugly in America. As a song, there are such nice touches throughout–listen with headphones–and the refrain is so memorable, not quite chilling but haunting as anything. Damn good Hammond playing.

Evening Sun
What a joy this one is! The fiddle part is the prettiest tune I think I’ve heard played on an Old Crow album. It’s so rich ... and innocent. And there are three notes sung in the refrain that make the song magnificent (...down my trail...) I think it’s Ketch who really broadens the harmony by singing the notes a touch lower than I would have expected. Damn, it almost makes me choose this one as my favorite.

Mary’s Kitchen
Blazin’! The harmonica chugs and grooves and just sings! Gill does a tremendous job with his tune and I’m sure the crowds at concerts will love this one.

Crazy Eyes
This one completely surprised me. I’ll be humming it everywhere. Completely unexpected melody, in my opinion, with a strangely satisfying pace. And the climax reminded me a lot of Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Maybe not the sound of it, but the energy contained in the harmony. And then back to the funny, loping melody. Genius.

Tennessee Pusher
A classic. Gothic and certainly haunting. The dealer sounds so hopeless and headed toward a bad end. Ketch could sing good lounge jazz, I think. The ornamentation of the song is lovely. Again, one for headphones.

Always Lift Him
No doubt, the deep notes from the guitar at the beginning please me greatly. A beautiful tune and the kind of personal message that really draws me to the boys. A religious song, free of dogma or anything contentious. The only cover on the album, this is a superb choice for them.

Caroline
I’m pleased that this tune is finally out on an album. It’s lovely, as always. The harmonies are supercharged. Fantastic harmonica. But, this version just isn’t as plaintive and satisfying as the original. I don’t mean that in a bad way, really. This is a great tune as it’s been refashioned. It has a lively quality that will really appeal to folks. (But the original is Ketch’s best writing, I think. Who else would write about his sister’s squeaky shoes?)

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 21 Sep 2008 Posts: 42
beautiful review! you caught so many of my impressions too-- particularly Evening Sun and Highway Halo. I hope everyone has a great day of listening tomorrow!
missyjay6
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 09 Sep 2008 Posts: 453 Location: Scotland
kg - not sure how anyone can follow your review - brilliant!

I won't go through the album song by song, I'd just be repeating pretty much what kg already said, but I'll throw in my tuppence worth anyway.

A great start to have "Methamphetamine" (and the rest of the album) playing in the shop when I went to get it at lunchtime. My longest afternoon ever - I couldn't wait to get home to have a listen.

I'm loving it!! I've pretty much heard the studio version of most of the songs already one way or another, apart from "Crazy Eyes", "Hustler" and "Motel in Memphis". These were the songs I was most curious about. I absolutely adored "Crazy Eyes" and "Hustler" live, and hoped they would work as well on cd.

I needn't worry - both songs are brilliant and I love the quiet beauty of both of them. "Hustler" doesn't seem too long to me. I could listen on and on.

I've always liked their quiet songs as much as the raucous ones, and I love the mood of the whole album. Finally being able to hear all the songs together is great.

The boys' voices just keep getting better and better! Especially Willie's seems to have matured and he sounds at his best yet. The harmonies are tight and it's great to hear Critter in there too!

Gill's slide guitar is amazing! It's subtle but adds a lot to the songs.

I like the production in general. It's simple and clear and doesn't seem "cluttered" in any way. I wasn't too sure what to think when I heard there would be drums as I didn't really think their sound needed it, but I actually think it works quite well.

Ketch's fiddle on "Humdinger" is superb. Love that there's a song of Gill's on there too; fab lyrics, blazin' harp!

Just been trying to think if I've got a favourite song. I'm thinking of one and then another one and then another...I'm so happy that "Crazy Eyes" and "Hustler" turned out as awesome as I hoped they would, but I honestly do love all the songs on this album. Each one has its own qualities and I can't find any faults with any of them.

Mr.Jay and I have got this thing where for us there are four things that make a good song/album/songwriter;

1. The song sounds simple (yet awesome) so you think you should have been able to write it yourself - but of course you haven't.
2. The song sounds as if it's been around forever, even if it's only just been written.
3. You know the lyrics pretty much by heart after only a couple of listens.
4. After the song finishes you immediately want to put it back on again.

And I can wholeheartedly say that for both of us this applies to this album big time!!

I'm just so insanely happy that the album is out now and hope that it will make lots more people as happy as I am just now!!
TAlderson
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 08 Aug 2008 Posts: 126 Location: Worcester, MA
For some reason, mine came today! I ordered it standard shipping from their site, but I guess maybe some mail is quicker than others.

The album is great, definitely more mainstream (not fully, but more) than previous.

The album starts out great with Alabama High Test, pretty vintage drugs 'n' fiddle Crow. Ketch's vocals miss a few times on Highway Halo, but I do like the song, especially the lyrics and Benmont Tench's organ.

Greatest Hustler is pretty slow, and probably could have been a little shorter, but besides speeding it up a little I don't see anything to cut. Methamphetamine is a great track which is helped again by the understated organ and drummed backbeat.

Next Go 'Round has been one of my favorites for a while, and next to Always Lift Him Up is a definite tear-jerker. This song is standard Old Crow, all string with harmonies on the chorus (seems to be a pattern of no-organ, organ, no-organ, etc.).

Kevin's got a distinctive voice, half-unpitched and with a twang that certainly does not come from Needham, MA (about 45 mins from my house). However, it's a modern version of a lot of Charlie Poole's songs about staying out late with women, alcohol, and drugs. The emphasis on the guit-jo is very different from most other Crow songs, and it's nice to hear Kevin's sense of humor among all the heavy tracks.

Motel in Memphis is a fairly standard slow minor country song, with well-written lyrics and a very understated harmony. I wouldn't say anything particularly special about it, but it's solid.

I'll echo kg's comment about the innocence in Evening Sun. It's a really beautiful song, something you'll probably hear covered at some coffeehouse or other like Wagon Wheel (but no one can match Ketch's fiddle on this one).

And then it picks up again for Mary's Kitchen. I've actually only seen them live with Critter, so I have not heard Gill with them. He does a great job, a nice baritone, and the guitar riffs on this really drive the song.

Crazy Eyes could have been a Neil Young song. That's the only way I can describe it. A great song, and definitely something that'll stick in your head.

Tennessee Pusher slowly creeps up on you until you're completely immersed in it. It has a hypnotic feel to it, doesn't have a beat so much as much as a flow, and the fiddle is breathy and killer.

I would disagree with kg in that Always Lift Him Up is a not overtly religious, but merely could be interpreted in that way. Nevertheless, it's the most beautiful song on this album, with the soft and plaintive harmonies on the title line in my mind one of the highlights of the album.

Caroline has obviously been out for a while in this recorded form, so I won't say too much about it. But it is a great upbeat song with lyrics that don't seem to realize how sad they are. This has the potential to be a big single, I'll be interested to see what mainstream country thinks of it.

Overall, it's an introspective and melancholic album. It seems they have grown up since the days of Minglewood Blues and Tell It To Me. But it's an album that will tug at your heartstrings for sure.

-Tyler
Chigger
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
Great reviews, folks! Got mine a day early today too, and have been listening pretty hard. I'll get some impressions of my own up here soon. So far, Crazy Eyes has been in my head. Of course, Alabama Hi-Test is the most fun tune on there for me, but there are so many of the other songs that have a subtle way of sticking with you. I find myself humming one, then I have to go back and figure out which one it is right now! Laughing
I'll have to get a couple of good listening sessions in to straighten everything out...

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
TAlderson wrote:
["Caroline"] it is a great upbeat song with lyrics that don't seem to realize how sad they are.
Spot on! You've come right to the center of it.

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 28 Jan 2008 Posts: 39 Location: Smyrna,TN.
I recieved mine today as well..........I am gonna say the sound of an organ is gonna take some gettin' used to. Highway Halo and Next Go 'Round jumped out on the first listen.
Glad it's finally here.
merlin
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 27 Oct 2007 Posts: 557 Location: God's Country
Wow! I never thought that the pre-order would arrive a day early.
That's what I get for thinking I would get it faster at the store on the release date. :(

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 06 Oct 2007 Posts: 749 Location: on the road
Damn it! I'm STILL Pusherless! Crossing my fingers for TODAY! To bad I'm gonna be out gown shopping all frickin' day! Hey, but what a reward if it is there for not killing the bride after 8 hours of gowns...

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
working today, so i aint had a chance to go buy a hard copy yet (hell aint even had time to buy it on itunes yet)

BUT i got a chance at a pre release download and the album is definitly different (in a slower w/ drums sense) BUT the lyrics and the attitude of the album is one that they havent had before, needless to say i think its GREAT!

just have to get my ass to a store so i can buy on and have the liner notes. (for those of you with hardcopies) how are the liner notes? pictures? lyrics? any funny we would like to thank ______?
gvillebrowny
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 16 Jan 2006 Posts: 118 Location: Lake Guntersville, AL
Well, I just took my lunch break to go pick up a copy. Will post a track by track review later in the day.
Marxalot
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 10 Sep 2006 Posts: 38 Location: Edmonds WA
Well I cant say I am not once again impressed with the abilities of OCMS nor am I immune to their excellence in song writing and musicianship. Tennessee Pusher brings all of these elements to the forefront in its own way.

I love a record that takes me on a journey. This record seems to take me on a journey down a hole and leaves me there. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate what they are doing as songwriters but that seems to take the drivers seat on this record.

Now just to make sure I am not misunderstood as bashing Tennessee Pusher, its not that I don't like it, its just not what I look for in a string band of this nature nor what attracted me to OCMS from the start. The clever approach they took on previous records seems to be lost trying to adapt to a genre. This REALLY sounds like coffee house music to me... just kind of typical alt country / modern folk.

The tear it down / raise a ruckus nature of their other releases is just lost on this record and to be honest, this record wont see a lot of time in the playlist as there are plenty of records I can listen to while driving or by myself but not alot work in social situations. OCMS was a band you could always throw on at a party or whatever and even the jazz snobs and metal heads appreciated it... this one has already failed in that aspect.
GumboStu
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
bopanic wrote:
how are the liner notes? pictures? lyrics? any funny we would like to thank ______?

there's a dozen pics in the centrefold of the booklet and full lyrics, plus who did what on each song.

It got to Ireland today Very Happy Very Happy

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 27 Oct 2007 Posts: 557 Location: God's Country
OK, my review...

I am going to put this as eloquently and succinctly as possible.

It's Damn Good!!

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
going to grimey's after work to get it. I was thinking I'd get it there rather than Great Escape (BIW cover) seeing how the songs were forged and polished underneath Grimey's in the Basement. Gotta go with tha most mojo Cool

Ok, I'll quit being a braggin' douche Laughing Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
GumboStu wrote:
there's a dozen pics in the centrefold of the booklet and full lyrics, plus who did what on each song.

i figured they would put who did what on each song, but really that many pics and full lyrics? Shocked are you pulling my leg?
GumboStu
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Well the pics are on the double page so they're not huge, y'know Laughing

But the lyrics are all there.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I have been been anxious and nervous about Old Crow’s new release. I certainly had mixed emotions about the boys straying away from their folk & jug-band roots, and going more mainstream country by incorporating the organ and drums heavily.

With that said, “Tennessee Pusher” certainly delivers; albeit, in a different way than their previous efforts. There’s still the fueled up fiddle and harp tunes of old, but there’s something new that they’ve given us:

An album that tells a story. Each track speaks to me in a way that “OCMS” and “Big Iron World” didn’t. I honestly can close my eyes and envision what they are singing about. This is credit to the fact that they all are tremendous songwriters and storytellers, and have matured leaps and bounds since “BIW” “Tennessee Pusher” is without doubt, the best album from Old Crow Medicine Show

“Pusher” kicks off with the fast-paced, drug-fueled “Alabama High-Test.” The boys obviously know when it comes to album making you need to hit the ground running right out of the shoot, and that’s exactly what they have done. With the clever wordplay, it’s one of those songs that the whole audience will be singing along with at concerts. Great tune. Ketch sounds a lot like Dylan on this one.

The boys ease it down with “Highway Halo.” There’s certainly more to the lyrics than one listen can do justice. Very personal it seems. It’s great to hear the boys maturing as songwriters. It’s also the listener’s first chance to hear this new sound, and it delivers. The drums and organ give the song “full sound,” and the harp and the organ compliment each other nicely.

The boys bring the album real low (in a good way) with “The Greatest Hustler of All.” It’s a funny ditty that showcases the vocal harmony. If you didn’t know, you would swear that this was another cover of a pre-war tune. It’s just got that old-timey feel to it.

“Methamphetamine” hits really close to home for me. A lot of people I know have been affected, as there is an epidemic where I live. Ketch must obviously know this, because the last time I saw Old Crow they played this, and he dedicated it to Sand Mountain (the area affected by meth.) Very haunting and true. I should know.

“Next Go Round” is probably one of my favorite tracks on the whole album. It’s just got an overall good feel to it. I can’t explain it. Just love it. Great vocals and lyrics by Willie and Ketch.

“Humdinger” is fun. The crowd went batty for this one when they played Crossroads, and rightfully so. Everyone wants to have a Humdinger at one time or another. Kevin’s got a great voice that really adds to the rawness of this one.

I’ve got to be honest, “Motel in Memphis,” is one that I wasn’t particularly looking forward to. After my first listen, I take that back. It’s a risky subject to tackle, but the writing resonates that King’s assassination had an impact on all. Both very sad and very chilling, the organ and drum work very well together here. My only complaint being no Critter. I think Critter’s voice could have added to the overall sorrow this song conveys. Damn good song.

“Evening Sun” is a nice tune. Ketch’s fiddle is good. Great harmony. Simple song.

“Mary’s Kitchen” is a chugging harp tune full of innuendo. Very fast paced, and a great work from Gil. What a welcome addition to the group he is!

“Crazy Eyes” is different. Really good melody here. Nothing more can really be said. I love this one!

Ketch’s storytelling is once again displayed in the title track “Tennessee Pusher.” A great arrangement that builds to an awesome crescendo. Very good piece by the boys.

“Always Lift Him Up” is such a touching song that displays the poignancy of being a friend. Great three part harmony. Great song to cover.

We finally get “Caroline” on an album. It’s been re-worked and is now a toe-tapping tribute to a little sister. While I enjoy the original more, I respect that this is what Ketch always envisioned the song to be. It’s a remarkably touching song without becoming somber. It deserves a lot of radio play!
TAlderson
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 08 Aug 2008 Posts: 126 Location: Worcester, MA
Marxalot wrote:

The tear it down / raise a ruckus nature of their other releases is just lost on this record and to be honest, this record wont see a lot of time in the playlist as there are plenty of records I can listen to while driving or by myself but not alot work in social situations. OCMS was a band you could always throw on at a party or whatever and even the jazz snobs and metal heads appreciated it... this one has already failed in that aspect.

Agreed. I'm very much a traditionalist (Old Crow is pretty commercial for me), and this is definitely not what attracted me to OCMS. But for what it is, I love it.

I wish they'd make another album like Eutaw, almost all traditional songs with traditional instruments. But I also wish Bob Dylan would release another album of mostly traditional songs like his first one, and that sure as hell ain't going to happen. He moved on to almost all original material, and that worked for him. He even did go back in the early 90s and came out with two albums of traditional songs, which are both excellent.

The old Bluegrass players like Bill Monroe and the Stanley Brothers started out playing almost all traditional songs. but as they matured as musicians, they began writing more and more of their music. Same with the folk revivalists like Dylan, some even switching genres completely. Even great rock bands like Zep, the Stones, and the Beatles started out with very little original material, and evolved into mainly original acts. It's a natural progression in a musician's career, and as long as they make good music, I'll listen to them.

This may not be what attracted me to the Crows, but I like it.

-Tyler
gvillebrowny
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I just read kg's review, and he says pretty much the same things I do.

Weird.
Marxalot
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
TAlderson wrote:
Marxalot wrote:

Agreed. I'm very much a traditionalist (Old Crow is pretty commercial for me), and this is definitely not what attracted me to OCMS. But for what it is, I love it.

I wish they'd make another album like Eutaw, almost all traditional songs with traditional instruments. But I also wish Bob Dylan would release another album of mostly traditional songs like his first one, and that sure as hell ain't going to happen. He moved on to almost all original material, and that worked for him. He even did go back in the early 90s and came out with two albums of traditional songs, which are both excellent.

The old Bluegrass players like Bill Monroe and the Stanley Brothers started out playing almost all traditional songs. but as they matured as musicians, they began writing more and more of their music. Same with the folk revivalists like Dylan, some even switching genres completely. Even great rock bands like Zep, the Stones, and the Beatles started out with very little original material, and evolved into mainly original acts. It's a natural progression in a musician's career, and as long as they make good music, I'll listen to them.

This may not be what attracted me to the Crows, but I like it.

-Tyler

Your right, but there are a lot of great musicians in the world and very few really capture an audience like OCMS, what they do after that is what makes or breaks it.

I just feel this record doesn't challenge modern music as the others did, it seems to have surrendered to it, albeit very well.
therodge
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I can see where youre coming from. Good point. I wouldn't call TN Pusher contemporary though. It just seemed to jump up a few decades from the 20s/30s to 60s/70s

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
therodge wrote:
I can see where youre coming from. Good point. I wouldn't call TN Pusher contemporary though. It just seemed to jump up a few decades from the 20s/30s to 60s/70s

Yeah but most music can be considered "throwback" or influences from the past can be heard. Hell, 90% of new music is based on music from the past and OCMS is no exception.

For me it is absolutely magic to have everyone I know from my 60-something year old father in law to my 22 year old brother listen to Old Crow and just love it. That is just rare and amazing.
therodge
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I like how on Motel In Memphis they decided to use the organ for the intro melody instead of Ketch&Willie's falsetto "aaw aaw aaw aww aww aww awW AWWWWW!"

haha, wise choice boys.

I wonder if they'll do it that way live though? How'd they do it in Europe or DC?

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Greatest Hustler of All sounds so much like a Grateful Dead or JGB tune to me.

Anyone else hearing that?