old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  Inside the collegiate mind.

kg
Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:53 am Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
"Rising — Need for a new token party song

"People of UT, the time has come. Maybe you’ve noticed on game days, as you walk to the stadium. Maybe you’ve noticed when your drunk neighbors sing it for the fifth time in a row on a Friday night and you can hear them through the walls. Maybe you’ve noticed in a bar, as everyone throws their arms around each other and collectively gathers together, drinks sloshing about and a moment of community and unity is understood amongst perfect strangers. Any way you’re rocked, you’ve noticed it.

"The time has come, collegiate minds, to find a new token party song, because 'Wagon Wheel' by Old Crow Medicine Show has certainly worn out its welcome.

"It isn’t exactly clear when 'Wagon Wheel' became the song of choice for merrymaking adventures, maybe it was the combination of the simple, repetitive lyrics and the light, delightful banjo tune.

"But then again, there isn’t a lot of great music to replace 'Wagon Wheel' these days.

"Between the musical styling of 8-year-old headache Willow Smith and perpetual ghetto trash Ke$ha, the music of today can generally be summarized as annoying, and it seems fruitless to resurrect old favorites like Bon Jovi’s 'Livin’ On a Prayer.'

"So, what is to be done? We can’t keep shouting the same song forever.

"How about we stop associating songs with drinking and start associating songs with being of genuine quality, not how danceable they are or how catchy the lyrics or beat is?

"But then again, if this really was the philosophy upon which we chose our music, Lil Wayne would have never had a chance."

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
*Garfunkled* Joined: 22 Jan 2008 Posts: 1524 Location: Hokes Bluff AL.
haha. i still find it funny how it became so to begin with. i mean, its not a novelty song like who let the dogs out or whoomp there it is. just a good song i guess.
lbrod
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
As a Fresno State alum and Bulldog season ticket holder, I am sick to death of Who Let the Dogs Out being blasted every friggin' game. At least with Wheel it's a good song being overused.