old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  What bands sound like old crow

Tcherry37
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 25 Jun 2011 Posts: 13 Location: Broken arrow oklahoma
Of course no one can sound like OCMS exactly...but what bands have you ran across with similar style and sound?

I think trampled by turtles is one band for example

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 14 Nov 2008 Posts: 372 Location: Tulsa, OK
klondike5 String Band from Tulsa

http://www.reverbnation.com/klondike5
gwrap
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 926 Location: Stankonia, GA
okie dokie wrote:

Good old Matt. I miss him around here :(

As for bands that sound like Old Crow... I'm going to say the Route 11 Boys and the Blood Donors! Twisted Evil

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
jkorp
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:27 am Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 22 Feb 2007 Posts: 976 Location: The Right Coast
I'd recommend the Freight Hoppers.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 16 Jun 2011 Posts: 59 Location: North Carolina
Tcherry37 wrote:
Of course no one can sound like OCMS exactly...but what bands have you ran across with similar style and sound?

Right, no one sounds exactly like them. I also listen to the
Hackensack Boys
Hot Buttered Rum
Steep Canyon Rangers.

Slightly more off track (IMHO) are the Avett Bros. and the Decemberists.

This gets close to one of my pet peeves: I listen to Pandora a lot and find it very annoying that the "music genome" project categories or Pandora programming don't allow me to distinguish between OCMS and traditional bluegrass.
bopanic
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
*King of da Vuld* Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Posts: 4190 Location: Nashville, TN
gwrap wrote:
okie dokie wrote:

Good old Matt. I miss him around here :(

yeah im sure he pops in around here every now and again... Wink
Tcherry37
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 25 Jun 2011 Posts: 13 Location: Broken arrow oklahoma
Thank y'all for helping me out with this...been tryingto find other bands with a good old timey sound... Helping alot!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
The Devil Makes Three are a good band.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Hackensaw Boys
Kitchen Syncopators
Hogslop Stringband

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
mountain sprout - they come to Tulsa alot
bruceff
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 05 Jun 2011 Posts: 79
I've really started grooving on The Carolina Chocolate Drops. I think they share a musical voice with OCMS. A CCD track like "Trouble in Your Mind" would sound almost exactly same if OCMS covered it. At times they veer towards Squirrel Nut Zipper olde tymie campiness, but many of their songs share a unique sense of respect for tradition combined with an unmistakable modernity that I have previously only found in OCMS.

I think I'm going to spend most of July listening to "Genuine Negro Jig."

B
lbrod
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
*Bloodshot Hot Rod* Joined: 02 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: Beneath Pacheco Pass
There have been some fine suggestions here, and I'll add that many of us enjoy the manic intensity of Trampled By Turtles.
ozarkbilly
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 866 Location: MO Ozarks
okie dokie wrote:
mountain sprout - they come to Tulsa alot

or any of the other Mudstomp artists for that matter! Razz

my personal favorite on the label, the Ben Miller Band:

Follow You Down

I Got Another One/Freight Train Blues

Black Betty

Come Together

they'll always do Wagon Wheel without much prodding, but I've also heard them do Take 'Em Away, Chicken Pie, Tear It Down, Shack #9...probably forgetting a few Crow tunes they've done on request. Their shows are crazy, you get everything from many awesome original tunes to gospel tunes to Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Dylan, Tom Waits, Black Sabbath & many more. Lots of multi-instrumentation going on (including electric spoons Shocked ) Very eclectic, very fun, very 'Ozark stomp'

EDIT: Just realized Ben doesn't break out the banjo in any of these and none are particularly old-timey, but they do it up right when they do!

My good gal ain't no good to me
She makes true love more like misery"
okie dokie
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
ozarkbilly wrote:

they'll always do Wagon Wheel without much prodding, but I've also heard them do Take 'Em Away, Chicken Pie, Tear It Down, Shack #9...probably forgetting a few Crow tunes they've done on request.

REally??!? never heard Ben Miller do any of those
okie dokie
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Tcherry37 wrote:

all of these people

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wagon+wheel+cover&aq=0&oq=wagon+wheel+co
Dan
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Rockland County NY
Spirit Family Reunion
The Dave Rawlings Machine

This question has me thinking ...
Folk's here probably know better than almost anyone I could talk to on this subject. People are always trying to label things, it's in our nature, we want to describe things, and find similiar things to what we already know we like. I aint faulting us for it, I do it too. I just did it in pointing to DRM (obviously) and The Spirit Family Reunion on this thread that is of interest to me. Ben Miller sounds good I'll be checking into that. Thanks.

But what I am talking about is this- Have you ever noticed there is an un-named Genre of American Music? It claims most of the great roots from The Classic Traditions - Country, Blues, Folk, and Rock and Roll as it's own, It likes Bluegrass, but it never gives in to Bluegrass's rigid format. It's too busy being individualistic to stay in any one place and truly adhere to any one genre. If these folks play Blues/Country/Folk, they do it their own way with a sense of personal style. It should just rightly be called "Folk" but it's been known to plug in to Amplifiers, and it doesn't claim Joan Baez and the Kingston Trio as it's own ( No Offense). Just like it Doesn't claim Kenny Rogers, But it does claim Johnny Cash as one of it's own. It gets wrongly called "Americana", or "Old Time" or "alt Country" sometimes, or poeple just give up and call it "Country or Bluegrass or old time with a Punk attitude", like we all know happens to OCMS regularly.

I've always called it "Roots Music", and I didn't coin the term, but 99 out of 100 people don't seem to know what the hell I am talking about. They just don't understand a Banjo on "shake em' on Down" or drums on "Darling Cory", etc...

But this nameless genre always seems to have one unifying Thread- Bob Dylan. The roots are the folks who influenced Dylan and the Branches are the folks influenced by Dylan ( and those same roots) after the final pieces of the puzzle were in Place (Rock and Roll and Bob Dylan). You could point to Jimmie Rodgers, Charlie Patton, and especially Woody Guthrie if you want, claiming that pointing to Dylan is to start in the middle, but, they are just the borrowed roots from the easily recognized pre-existing traditions, (Country, Blues, and Folk) This not so new New Tradition snuck in quietly and almost unnoticed and it plays Blues and appalachian songs side by side, and it twists them up and re-interprets them at will, This was not common practice before Bob Dylan. It's still not common practice in Bluegrass or Old Time.

And the final non-Dylan ingredient for this genre - Rock and Roll, wasn't on the scene yet. I think Woody Would have embraced it, and Charlie Patton would have sounded like Tom Waits in the electric age, but they didn't get the chance. Dylan was standing in the right place at the right time, and most importantly had the right tools, to become the trunk of this tree. The Bill Monroe of the un-named hard to pin down genre.

You think They will ever properly give it a name? "Dylanesque" doesn't cover it, because That term is too narrow ( It started before him with it's borrowed fore father's from the other traditions) and that term has always spoke to his lyricism, not the various countrified/ bluesy/folky/acoustic or electric/individualistic ways this music gets approached from. "Folk" has been taken by some blandly overly serious and earnest folks, who have something against rhythm and "roots music" doesn't seem to be sticking... "Americana" is too cheeky "We have no Banana's today"... and "Fill In the Blank with a Punk attitude is just stupid "

Or maybe I am just imagining a unyfing thread that isn't there thru all my favorite music from the borrowed roots to the current branches? Anyone know what I am talking about?
Chigger
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
Suprisingly, I am not in the least a Dylan fan. That aside, nice post!

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:36 am Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
Quote:
This not so new New Tradition snuck in quietly and almost unnoticed and it plays Blues and appalachian songs side by side

Many years ago i bought an album of Brownie McGhee songs from the forties. Back before the folk revival he was a Tennessee blues player who hung out with Blind Boy Fuller and he was the second guitarist on brother Stick McGhee's original version of Drinkin Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee. On the front of the album there is a picture of Brownie with a mandolin player called Lesley Riddle.

This picture has always seemed to me like a little glimpse into a world that isn't in the history books.

Lesley Riddle was the guy that travelled with AP Carter on his song 'harvesting' forays. AP remembered the words, and Lesley remembered the music. He was influential on Maybelle Carter's guitar style, and i suspect there was much more collaboration, or at least 'playing together', than we would think before the record companies got the wedge between 'hillbilly' and 'race' records.

Dylan turned folk music on it's head (or on it's feet perhaps) for it had become a very heady arena. A pivotal point but one of many. I think of Carl Perkins' version of Blind Lemon Jefferson's Matchbox Blues, Elvis' reinvention of Arthur Crudup songs. To me early rockabilly has the same energy that Old Crow bring to old timey music, and if you listen to Frank Blevin's Sally Ann you know it was there all the time once the rookus juice was flowing.
There is a great quote from Michael Gray's blog

Quote:
...one of those who talked to [Blind] Willie [McTell] towards the end of his life was Bruce Utah Phillips, and though this bit of the interview Mr. Phillips gave me (in May 2004) ended up pruned out of the book, he reported this:

"I was curious about what this music, when it was in the jazz houses and the jook joints: what did it sound like? [I asked Willie:] 'When you were young, what d’you sound like?' And he said 'You want to hear what we sounded like when we were your age, you listen to early Elvis Presley.'... I don’t think he was joking, either."

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
I haven't read the book, to be honest, but this reminds me of Griel Marcus' The Old Weird America which focuses heavily on Dylan's "Basement Tapes" and the "Anthology of American Folk Music" and how Dylan was the torchbearer for a style of music that's traveled under the radar and is yet a critical part of American musical tradition.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 02 May 2007 Posts: 112
TDM3 for sure Gumbo. Saw them in NO last fall and they just posted a tour with some dates close to home. I always see OCMS for by Bday, but I'll settle for this trio and be satisfied!

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote
Tcherry37 wrote:

Recently I rediscovered (for myself) Jim Kweskin and the Jug Band. I used to listen to them in the 60s and 70s. I get a similar kick from Kweskin as from OCMS, but in general jug bands seem a bit more oriented towards (musical) humor, irony, satire, and they don't seem to have as many (any?) slow, serious songs as OCMS does. I used to describe this stuff as sh*t-kickin' music. I think it would be lots of fun to play.

You can go to Spotify.com and listen to an entire album of Jim Kweskin.

fbf
frogbotfan
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
Dan wrote:

I've always called it "Roots Music", and I didn't coin the term, but 99 out of 100 people don't seem to know what the hell I am talking about. They just don't understand a Banjo on "shake em' on Down" or drums on "Darling Cory", etc...

I *think* I know what you're talking about. Americana or "Roots Music" conveys a lot, but it just isn't specific enough for me. It covers too much ground, too many different styles of music (some of which I would find annoying). Recently I saw a list of all the terms Brazilians use for skin color. There were 123 different terms, if I remember correctly. That's what I'd prefer for talking about kinds of music. We already have many of them, e.g., Swamp Rock, Hillbilly, Southern Rock, old-timey, etc., but not many people know them. OCMS to me is best described as "contemporary string band". Definitely NOT bluegrass.

fbf
Code:
Code:
ozarkbilly
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 866 Location: MO Ozarks
okie dokie wrote:
ozarkbilly wrote:

they'll always do Wagon Wheel without much prodding, but I've also heard them do Take 'Em Away, Chicken Pie, Tear It Down, Shack #9...probably forgetting a few Crow tunes they've done on request.

REally??!? never heard Ben Miller do any of those

Chances are probably slim to none that you'll see this Okie, but Ben Miller's in Tulsa tonight at Mercury Lounge. I'll be there so feel free to say hey if you happen to be there, look for a big ugly bald dude in flannel with a statuesque brunette Shocked (not sure how I managed that, but I just roll with it)

To stay on the original topic, we got Wagon Wheel, Tear it Down, & one or two others outta Ben last weekend up in the KC area

My good gal ain't no good to me
She makes true love more like misery"
Chigger
Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
ozarkbilly wrote:
...look for a big ugly bald dude in flannel with a statuesque brunette Shocked (not sure how I managed that, but I just roll with it)

Laughing THAT is funny. Laughing

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Tcherry37 wrote:

Is it tacky to respond to one's own posting?

The band Farewell Drifters is performing here in Chapel Hill. I looked at a couple of their songs on YouTube. They have some of the energy of OCMS (and the youth), and similars instruments, but too much Beach Boy/Beatles/New Christy Minstrels sound (there! I've completely dated myself). None of the songs I listened to really grabbed me.

fbf
crazyeyes423
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 01 Nov 2010 Posts: 216 Location: Carter County TN
GumboStu wrote:
The Devil Makes Three are a good band.

AGREED! I'm going to see them in Asheville with Flogging Molly Feb 28. Can not wait!

Lord knows it had to end
But it didn't have to end this way.
Chigger
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="crazyeyes423"] Flogging Molly... [quote]

Nice! I can't get enough of those guys. I hear they bring it live.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 02 May 2007 Posts: 112
OMG
No ~ they don't sound like OC but they give me hope for the future!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MoWPTeYS4&sns=em

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 01 Nov 2010 Posts: 216 Location: Carter County TN
newfan wrote:
OMG

I'm confused. Who don't sound like OCMS?

Lord knows it had to end
But it didn't have to end this way.
Chigger
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
newfan wrote:
OMG

Them boys is good.

Most importantly, someone loved them enough to get that Millenium Falcon in the background... Very Happy