old crow fans Forum Index

<  Live  ~  Meeting Ketch at ROMP

DirtyHogg
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 16 Jun 2010 Posts: 71 Location: Louisville, KY
I have a great story that I have been trying to decide whether to post or not, but now I know I just have to - especially on this site.

My family and I attended ROMP in Owensboro Ky., 2 weeks ago for just one night to see OCMS. This will be the first show of 4 we will attend this year, including Louisville, Cincy and Central Park in NYC. Obviously, my wife and I, 9 and 5 year olds, are huge fans of the music. We don't pay too much attention to the players because its not about people worship - we appreciate talented musicians but its mostly about how the music makes us feel.
Anyway, after arriving late to avoid as much heat as possible we placed our chairs in the back of the crowd with a cooler of beer and water and watched the 23 String Band and Carolina Chocolate Drops - all incredible bands. Soon we needed ice cream, so we headed behind the stage to the food trailers. On our way back to our seats I look at the folks standing backstage and noticed a gentlemen in a long sleeved white shirt and Borsalino hat. I knew instantly it was Ketch and guided my family to the orange fence surrounding the backstage. I pointed to Ketch and told my family who it was. They stood, smiled and stared. Soon Ketch turns around, spots my family staring, and says "hey ya'll". I shook his hand and asked if he would take a picture with my wife and kids. He said "Of course!" and proceeded to walk to the exit and come outside of the fenced area to take the picture. I asked my 5 yr old boy to get into the picture. He said "no." I asked him again. He said "no." Frustrated at what was happening I hear Ketch say "whats his name?". We told him his name was Jackson and he was being a little shy. What happened next blew our minds! Ketch started talking to my son in typical Ketch cadence!! Our jaws dropped. I barely remember all of it I was so stunned - however I did videotape the last part of it with my phone. But Ketch started talking to my son in his quick, southern draw about how he and the band came here to play some music for everybody and it would be so nice if Jackson would (this is what I recorded) "slide right over here beside me and take a quick picture, I would be ever so pleased." My son, with no hesitation, handed me his ice cream and walked over to Ketch and the rest of my family and took the picture. It was like Ketch was the Pied Piper.
After the picture he asked my 9 year old what song he could play for her tonight. Quickly she said Bobcat Tracks (great request for a 9 yr old huh?). Ketch drew in a big breath between his teeth and squinted. It was obvious that this song was NOT on the set-list tonight. I realized this and came up with a stupid excuse about it being too hot for such a fast song - I was just trying to keep Ketch from telling her "no". He asked her for another song and after a pregnant pause she said Alabama High Test. We all laughed together because it was obvious she did not know what the song is all about. He then said "we'll play that one for ya little lady." We thanked him for his time and for coming to play for us - he thanked us for coming and went back inside the fence.
Now, I don't know Ketch from a hole in the ground - but this man took 2 minutes out of his schedule to take a pic with us and talk to my kids. This probably meant nothing to him - something he does 50 times a day. But to an 9 year old girl that got to "request" a song and talk to a guy she listens to daily - it made her YEAR. It also reaffirmed our faith that Blue/Nuegrass music contains the nicest and friendliest people and musicians of any genre out there today. I hope if anyone gets a chance to meet this man or a musician you admire, that it was as fun as this time we had. We are now even bigger OC fans - thanks Ketch. And thanks for reading.

The whistle knows my name
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
I can picture that squint ever so vividly. Ha.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
*Data Miner* Joined: 30 Jun 2007 Posts: 3427
Ketcham IS the Pied Piper.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
HAHA. You are correct sir.

GumboStu
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
great story well told, Hogg. I reckon anyone who's talked to Ketch knows exactly what you talkin about.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 03 Jan 2010 Posts: 18 Location: Jeffersonville, IN
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Sure beats when I saw him outside the Ryman a couple years ago. I didn't want to interrupt Ketch and the 4 lovely ladies he was talking to. Very Happy
TAlderson
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 08 Aug 2008 Posts: 126 Location: Worcester, MA
nwdirector wrote:

Sure beats when I saw him outside the Ryman a couple years ago. I didn't want to interrupt Ketch and the 4 lovely ladies he was talking to. Very Happy

His wife might wish you had Very Happy

-Tyler
DirtyHogg
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm positive it was just good conversation with some intelligent young fans. Shocked