old crow fans Forum Index

<  Live  ~  Charlottesville, VA - 8/19/12

spgass
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 24 Dec 2008 Posts: 30
Last weekend, we went to Charlottesville for the Old Crow Medicine Show concert. Evening showers eventually gave way to cloudy skies and it was a great time.

OCMS shows are always a good time. OCMS band leader Ketch Secor never fails to deliver his knowledge of local geography in an entertaining way.

It was great to have Critter Fuqua back in the band and he did a fine job singing a number of his songs including New Virginia Creeper and James River Blues.

New OCMS member Chance McCoy didn’t appear to be fully integrated on all of the songs yet (sometimes just dancing and singing harmonies), but a highlight of his performance was some showy double-fiddle playing with Ketch Secor.

The remaining members did a good job singing some of the Willie Watson lead-vocal songs, including Steppin’ Out sung by Gil Landry and Ain’t It Enough, although We Don’t Grow Tobacco wasn’t yet as good as it sounds on the new Carry Me Back album.

The crowd loved the OCMS anthem I Hear them All, with a This Land is Your Land part in the middle, as well as their greatest hit Wagon Wheel.

We missed opening acts The Lumineers and Pokey LaFarge, but OCMS brought them all out during the encore. Additionally, Lumineers’ cellist Neyla Pekarek sat in for some of the OCMS set.

All in all, another great performance from the Old Crow Medicine Show, one of the top energetic acoustic music groups around.

A couple pics at http://lowtechtimes.com/2012/08/21/old-crow-medicine-show-live-in-charlottesville/

jkorp
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 22 Feb 2007 Posts: 976 Location: The Right Coast
Nice write up, thank you. I can't believe you got the NVC, I was hopping to hear that at the DC shows, but no luck.

Last edited by jkorp on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 24 Dec 2008 Posts: 30
Thanks, Ketch gave a nice intro about some of the members being from Virginia and how some songs don't make sense except in Virginia.

I didn't keep a set list, but some others I remember were: Carry Me Back to Virginia, Levy, Alabama High Test, Sewanee Mountain Catfight, Mary's Kitchen, Humdinger, Caroline, Big Time in the Jungle, Hard to Love (encore)

therodge
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Can't believe you missed the openers, thanks for the write up tho! Good stuff.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 02 May 2007 Posts: 112
I have pics that I will post when I have time. Just returned home to Missouri tonight after a great week in Virginia, highlighted by the Sunday night show. Critter, Gil & Kevin visited with us during Lumineers set. Got some autographs and pics with Pokey. This was my 8th show and I still get as excited as a kid at Christmas and still come away smilin' like a chessy cat!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
How did Pokey and his crew do?

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Pokey and the boys were very well received. Got the crowd singing along with "Pack it Up" & the "La La" song. I would say they gained lots of fans, judging from the response. Ryan impressed all with his harmonica skills. Was happy to see folks in merchandise line after show were pickin up some Pokey goods.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
http://www.flickr.com/photos/83219376@N03/sets/72157631216594578

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 09 Sep 2008 Posts: 453 Location: Scotland
Here are some pics from the show from Pokey's Facebook too.
greendirtgirl
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 15 May 2010 Posts: 65 Location: John Brown's Dream
Had a GREAT time at this show,my 8 year old daughter's first OCMS experience...we wound up front row...I must say while I sincerely miss Willie's vocals, I really dig the dueling fiddle action and Chance's fancy footwork Very Happy

My first show with him was the night after he got hurt in Louisville,KY...so I really didn't get a true sense of what he brought to the table(despite being a big fan of Old Sledge)...really liking the new combination of energy...and shew...man...were the boys on fire!!! Good times.
Chigger
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
*Lucky No. 7* Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1358 Location: McMinnville, Tennessee
Hey! Where you been girl? Good to hear ya'll had a good time.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
*Johnny* Joined: 15 Sep 2006 Posts: 4268 Location: Pigg River District, Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Fancy...