old crow fans Forum Index

<  Willie Watson  ~  The Funnest Game

The whistle knows my name
Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
I thought it would be cool to have a thread dedicated to Willie Watson's (and Ben Gould's) old band, The Funnest Game. They were one of the immediate precursors to the Old Crow Medicine Show.

There's some information about them on Old Crow Medicine Show's Wikipedia entry:

Both Watson and Gould dropped out of school and formed the band The Funnest Game, which like Richie Stearns' group The Horse Flies had "clawhammer banjo, electric guitar, drums.” Their brand of electric/old-time was heavily influenced by the old-time music scene prominent in Tompkins and Schuyler County, New York, including The Horse Flies and The Highwoods Stringband. Performing locally, the young band earned the respect of local musicians and gained a following, appearing weekly at the Rongovian Embassy with Richie Stearns and annually at the Finger Lakes GrassRoots Festival of Music and Dance in Trumansburg, New York.
Wikipedia article on “Willie Watson”, unattributed

I found some old festival posters where they played, and (if you look really really close!) you can see The Funnest Game on them!

You can go to the original website here: http://greatblueheron.com/wp/posters/

With some basic googling skills, I was able to clarify the band's most active period by finding other festivals they had played:

Finger Lakes GrassRoots Festival of Music and Dance

Finger Lakes GrassRoots Festival of Music and Dance
Great Blue Heron Music Festival

Great Blue Heron Music Festival
Harvest Moon Jamboree

There's still a lot of information on the band that I haven't been able to find, including a list of band members or anything that was ever recorded that has survived.

I'd be interested to here about anything regarding the band from anyone who was there!

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143

Willie Watson, listed as &quot;Buck Watson&quot;, playing with The Funnest Game in 1998

Does anyone know if Willie went by "Buck" at some point?