old crow fans Forum Index

<  Willie Watson  ~  Folk Singer Volume 2

The whistle knows my name
Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
According to Willie's official website, https://www.williewatson.com/, there's a big announcement on Monday. I'm assuming it's the release of Folk Singer, vol 2, which he's been promising for awhile. I'll be sure to check it out!

Last edited by The whistle knows my name on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Joining the ranks of the Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and many others over a nearly 100-year-span, modern folk interpreter Willie Watson unleashes a soul-stirring version of "Samson and Delilah," a folk-gospel standard made popular by Reverend Gary Davis, who had learned the biblically-themed tune from blues singer Blind Willie Johnson.

RELATED

25 Best Country and Americana Albums of 2017 So Far
From Lauren Alaina's wise beyond her years collection to Luke Combs' stellar Number One debut
Watson's gloriously buoyant rendition of the story of Samson's epic battle with a lion – and the woman who eventually betrayed him – features the legendary gospel group the Fairfield Four, who also join him on two more tunes from his upcoming album, Folksinger Vol. 2. Produced by David Rawlings, the LP follows 2014's Vol. 1, Watson's solo debut after parting ways with Old Crow Medicine Show. Folksinger, Vol. 2 will be released September 15th on Acony Records. Listen to "Samson and Delilah" below.

"Anyone who knows folk music and blues knows that 'Samson and Delilah' comes from Reverend Gary Davis," says Watson. "When you hear him play, it stops you in your tracks and makes a guy like me question every musical thing I've ever done. It's one of those songs I wouldn't have thought I could pull off, but thankfully I had the Fairfield Four to help me out. Don't blame Delilah. She did her best with what she had and the world she lived in. Don't think Samson a fool. After all she was too beautiful to resist. I would have given it up the first time around. Either way it all worked out in the end."

Also spotlighting guest appearances from Gillian Welch, Morgan Jahnig (Old Crow Medicine Show and Paul Kowert (Punch Brothers), Folksinger Vol. 2 is a spectacular amalgam of Southern gospel, Delta blues, railroad songs and the Appalachian tradition derived from Celtic fiddle tunes. The album includes songs popularized by Lead Belly ("Gallows Pole"), Bascom Lamar Lunsford ("Dry Bones") and Blind Alfred Reed ("Always Lift Him Up and Never Knock Him Down"), who, along with Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family, was among the singers recorded during the historic Bristol Sessions 90 years ago this month in Bristol, Tennessee.

Folksinger, Vol. 2 track listing:

1. "Samson and Delilah"
2. "Gallows Pole"
3. "When My Baby Left Me"
4. "Dry Bones"
5. "Walking Boss"
6. "On the Road Again"
7. "The Cuckoo Bird"
8. "Always Lift Him Up and Never Knock Him Down"
9. "John Henry"
10. "Leavin' Blues"
11. "Take This Hammer"

Listen to Samson and Deliliah HERE. Good Stuff!

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 925 Location: Stankonia, GA
woooooooohooooooooooo. Just need him to come through ATL on tour!

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
therodge
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Did y'all read about Dave's new album?

I like hearing that Willie and Ketch worked on it. I doubt they did "together" but hopefully they've been in the same room at some point and mended some fences along the way.

I like hearing that Morgan is on Willie's new album some. Sounds like everyone is at least moving in the same direction, a little bit. As small as that be, there might be hope.

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/david-rawlings-preps-new-album-poor-davids-almanack-w489845

Songwriter-guitarist-producer David Rawlings has worked alongside partner Gillian Welch since the two met as performance majors at Boston's Berklee College of Music, where they auditioned to be in a country band. Since that time, they have released several LPs under Welch's name and Rawlings has released a pair of albums as the Dave Rawlings Machine. For his third solo effort, he'll unplug the machine – so to speak – with the August 11th release of Poor David's Almanack credited to just David Rawlings. See the album's track list below.

The album, which follows the dreamy folk-pop of 2015's Nashville Obsolete, will be the eighth collaborative LP for Rawlings and Welch, and will be released on their Acony Records label, which late in 2016 issued Boots No 1: The Official Revival Bootleg, a deluxe version of the classic 1996 Welch album which is considered a modern Americana classic.

Mixing acoustic and electric music steeped in American vernacular, the 10 new songs on Poor David's Almanack were produced by Ken Scott (the Beatles, David Bowie) and Matt Andrews, capture on analog tape during a week of sessions at Nashville's legendary Woodland Sound Studios. Guest musicians include Willie Watson, Paul Kowert, Brittany Haas,Ketch Secor from Old Cow Medicine Show, and Taylor and Griffin Goldsmith of Dawes.

Rawlings and his all-star Dave Rawlings Machine will embark on the first leg of a national tour this August to support Poor David's Almanack, with tunes from the Dave Rawlings Machine's pair of LPs also on the set list. See the tour dates below.

Poor David's Almanack track list:

1. "Midnight Train"
2. "Money Is the Meat in the Coconut"
3. "Cumberland Gap"
4. "Airplane"
5. "Lindsey Button"
6. "Come On Over My House"
7. "Guitar Man"
8. "Yup"
9. "Good God a Woman"
10. "Put 'Em Up Solid"

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 23 Mar 2007 Posts: 658 Location: Spindale, NC
Samson and Delilah sounded pretty darn good. Looking forward to hearing that version of Walking Boss (I'm betting it rivals the Hackensaw version).

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 16 Nov 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Chicago, Illinois
I'm still convinced Willie will be back. A boy can dream.

therodge
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
New Willie! New Dave Rawlings! New Old Crow! All weeks from each other. It's gonna be a good Fall and Winter, y'all!

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Folksinger Vol.2 is really great!

Really digging the strings, horns, and four part harmony choir.

Saw Willie last night at 3rd & Lindsley, really really good stuff! Didn't get a chance to talk to him because we had to boogie down the street to catch some of the Deslondes.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 23 Mar 2007 Posts: 658 Location: Spindale, NC
therodge wrote:
Folksinger Vol.2 is really great!

Really digging the strings, horns, and four part harmony choir.

Saw Willie last night at 3rd & Lindsley, really really good stuff! Didn't get a chance to talk to him because we had to boogie down the street to catch some of the Deslondes.

I like the additional instrumentation and backup singers as well. I was expecting a "just a man and his guitar" type album again, which would have been fine, but this caught me off guard in a good way.

Great album,

I think "Dry Bones" is my standout. What is your guys favorites?

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
*Irish Stew* Joined: 03 Oct 2007 Posts: 3666 Location: Joe's Cornfield
had a mad busy last month so haven't heard this yet but I am so happy to see cuckoo bird on the list. Laughing

** Strolls on by, humming **