OCMS is back!!!

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
gwrap
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 926 Location: Stankonia, GA
therodge wrote:
Dude, I'm freaking out

You’ve got to use your radio connections to be there in person!

Sorry snail
Down in my heart
therodge
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:39 pm Reply with quote
*Law Dog* Joined: 17 Oct 2004 Posts: 6602 Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Well the crazy thing is, I was Lead Designer at Opry Entertainment for over two years. I was laid off early June of this year because of Covid killing our business. The last thing I worked on before being laid off was concepting the Live At The Ryman series. Man, my FOMO is kicked into overdrive! It’s funny because those two years I worked there I could have seen them backstage at the Opry or seen them at the Ryman for free but didn’t because of how different it has became. Wishing I still worked there, for more reasons than just this, but it kind of a nightmare job. The stress was unreal. Moments where I went backstage and cardkey would give me access to the backdoor of the Ryman made it bearable, but I lost more sleep at that job than my whole entire life.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote
Thousandaire Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Posts: 1143
therodge wrote:
Well the crazy thing is, I was Lead Designer at Opry Entertainment for over two years. I was laid off early June of this year because of Covid killing our business. The last thing I worked on before being laid off was concepting the Live At The Ryman series. Man, my FOMO is kicked into overdrive! It’s funny because those two years I worked there I could have seen them backstage at the Opry or seen them at the Ryman for free but didn’t because of how different it has became. Wishing I still worked there, for more reasons than just this, but it kind of a nightmare job. The stress was unreal. Moments where I went backstage and cardkey would give me access to the backdoor of the Ryman made it bearable, but I lost more sleep at that job than my whole entire life.

Sorry to hear the job was so stressful, and sorry you lost your job. Hope you’ve landed on your feet, man.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 08 Aug 2008 Posts: 126 Location: Worcester, MA
To be completely honest, I have not been nearly as excited about the output of the band since Willie left (ie after Carry Me Back). The live shows I've been to have been fun, but I've never been much of an alt-country guy and they're squarely in that realm now. I've also loved Willie's live shows, but have been sad that he doesn't seem to play much from his OCMS days at them. So while I'm guessing that a full reunion is probably not in the cards and may never be, this is fantastic news! Hopefully they'll break out some old string band numbers, and it'll be good to (hopefully) hear his voice on some old favorites.
AnJst4All
Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 03 Dec 2008 Posts: 10
I'm so excited to see this! I have an extra in-person ticket to the show if anyone is interested.
The whistle knows my name
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope everyone carved out time to watch this. Because they're playing "We're all in this together" and it's fantastic. "Best part of 2020" for sure, Willie.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
My socks are blown off. Rodge, or someone else, if you happened to be there in person, let us know what the encore songs were! Absolutely fantastic show, song choices, and of course having the inimitable Willie Watson back in.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 09 Sep 2008 Posts: 453 Location: Scotland
OMG!! This was absolutely amazing!! Socks are truly blown off for sure!!
I've missed live music so much, and this was just what I needed. The boys really were on fire!!!

It was so great to see Willie back with them! It's just not the same without him. I so miss his voice. And Willie and Ketch's voices just blend so beautifully.

I somehow felt transported back to about 15 years ago. And felt compelled to look up the forum. Been very remiss in checking in Sad It was nice to "bump into" a few fellow members on the chat too. I hope you're all well!!
jshortultimate
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Raisin' a Ruckus Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 62 Location: James River Blues
Show was great. Willie being back just shows how much this band needs him. I put the set list over in the live forum, in case anyone missed the show. Kinda lame they cut off the encore songs.
missyjay6
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Old Crow Joined: 09 Sep 2008 Posts: 453 Location: Scotland
OMG!! Perfection!!

They really were sublime all night long!! So much love for this show!!
gwrap
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Charlie Joined: 28 Oct 2004 Posts: 926 Location: Stankonia, GA
We tuned in to the live web concert. It was a little weird seeing it in the living room, but definitely a good night. There were some chills when Willie walked out and joined Ketch from his normal position. There was some familiarity and some differences to the Old Crow of old. Willie and Ketch have definitely diverged, but there were moments where the OG Ketch, Willie, Morgan trio were right at home. At other times, it really did feel like Willie was a solo act joining in with the Crows. I definitely liked seeing some of the songs they hadn't played in a while (or played but just weren't the same without Willie.) But, there were definitely times where it didn't mesh. As optimistic of a development this was, I just don't see Willie being a full time member of the band again. However, I do think this paves the way for this to be a recurring collaboration.

Sorry snail
Down in my heart