old crow fans Forum Index

<  Music  ~  What's it about?

Strummer
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Lil' Birdie Joined: 09 Jan 2006 Posts: 5 Location: Wayyy Up North
I know music is supposed to be a subjective thing and lyrics can mean different things to different people, but in learning the lyrics and chords to Trials and Troubles, I was wondering what other people thought the song was about. It sounds straight forward on the face of it (guy mourns girl killed on railway tracks), but then again, she left him alone. It's the "I'm going to buy them all cigarettes and chewin' tobacco when I can" line that I'm not sure I get. Why? Did the train do him a favour? Is he hoping the same train'll run him down too?

This is the kind of sh** that keeps me awake at night man! Very Happy
swampjustice
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 09 Aug 2005 Posts: 191 Location: Tennessee
Check out a song by Henry "Ragtime Texas" Thomas called "Arkansas." It's a medley of old stomp and medicine show songs, a part of which contains the source for the first verse and chorus of "Trials and Troubles." Before the site got hacked, I was trying to figure out how Mr. Watson and Secor finagled it to where they could say they wrote "Trials and Troubles." Trixy crowses. This shit keeps me up too, man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bwilley1
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Tearin' it Down Joined: 27 Oct 2004 Posts: 191 Location: Nashville, TN (Music City!)
I wish I had some input on this...

However, I will thank you both for some good thought and some even better material for discussion!